Help

ARCHIVE

Alliteration for 2nd Grade

>

pinacolada

Alliteration for 2nd Grade
Old 05-07-2010, 05:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have to do a demo lesson on rhyming and alliteration for 2nd Grade. The group is comprised of many ELL students and as a whole they are performing below grade level. Any suggestions?

pinacolada is offline   Reply With Quote

smithf1

Animalia
Old 05-08-2010, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Animalia by Graeme Base is a book of alliteration. I read it to my fifth graders then we make an alliteration book of our own.

First they must divide a sheet of paper into 4 pieces, then brainstorm nouns, verbs, adverbs and adjectives that begin with a given letter. They work on this for 20-30 minutes, then I collect the papers and redistribute them randomly. The students work for 10-15 more minutes to add to the list they received. I collect and redistribute one more time. This time the kids write a sentence using only words that begin with the letter (with the exception of prepositions like: to, in, of, etc.) Of course I expect that my fifth graders have lengthy sentences that make some sense.Finally they create a page with the sentence and illustrations of things that begin with the sound. These are then collated into a class book.

Perhaps you could modify that to use with second graders.
smithf1 is offline   Reply With Quote

bottle_blonde

Alliteration and Rhyme
Old 05-11-2010, 08:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi there!

A great book I've used with my class to teach alliteration and rhyme is 'Kakadu Jack'. It is a very simple rhyming book which the kids love AND it includes loads of alliteration! It is a colourful book about a parrot and girl (Molly Mack) who go to the market and along the way they stop and look at all the delicious fruits (perfect papayas etc) and the parrot causes havoc which Molly Mack does not notice!

I had the children writing alliteration sentences based on 'common' fruits we grow in our country. Instead of perfect papayas, marvellous mangoes etc we used (sensational) strawberries and (amazing) apples etc. I had A4 images of different fruits that I gave to each group and they had to use sentence strips to write their alliteration sentences. The children also wrote simple rhyming poems in the same style as the author. There are lots of opportunities to develop these ideas! I would definately recommend using this book!!!! Hope this helps!
bottle_blonde is offline   Reply With Quote