Help

Substitute Teachers

Rude Teachers: What is their problem?

>

Elise82

Rude Teachers: What is their problem?
Old 11-01-2006, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Today I was doing a 1/2 day in 5th grade. It started at a weird time half-way through the morning, so the teacher was there, teaching the kids when I went in. She scratched out plans for the rest of the day, then asked if I had questions. When I did, she jumped all over me! She really talked down to me in front of the kids. It was awful. One of the things she said, when I asked about any consequences that she gives kids was that I had sub training, didn't I? Keep them in from lunch (?) For crying out loud, all I wanted to know was her discipline plan! She kept hanging around, and then suddenly asked if I wanted her to get the principal No, I answered. Well, I need you to address the talking before I go. (She was still in the freaking room - I assumed - and the kids did, too, that she was still in charge.) If the teacher wants me to be in charge, then he/she needs to LEAVE and let me be in charge. I do not step on teachers' toes when they remain in the room!

I am just SO upset and furious. I have never been treated this way as a sub (only one time many years ago as an instructional assistant sub.)

Why did this woman have to be such a b****??? I will not return to that school, and will never do a weird middle of the day job like that again! I'm also taking a break from 5th grade for a while. If I have to deal with another snotty pubescent girl in the next couple of weeks, it may push me over the edge.

Dealing with badly behaved kids is one thing, but mean teachers are even WORSE!

Last edited by Elise82; 11-01-2006 at 05:11 PM..
Elise82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Bobthesub

Bobthesub

Old 11-01-2006, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hello,

I think it's because they are insecure. Perhaps the principal has been on them about classroom managment. Or some people make themselves feel better by making those around them feel badly.

Even though I sub in four districts I only go to about half the schools that I could. The reason? Rude teachers. If you can, just don't go back - ever. One district where I sub decided that I wanted to sub in all of their elementaries. I called HR and had them remove me from the worst one. It's too far I told them. But the real reasons are the teachers, principals, and parking issues at this school.

Finally don't let the witch get you down. After she left I would have done the best job possible and gotten out of the room ASAP when she returned.

Thanks

Elise82

Old 11-01-2006, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks, Bob! I feel slightly better. I hope my 1/2 in 3rd grade goes well tomorrow.
A SUB 2

A SUB 2

re: rude teachers
Old 11-01-2006, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I had a teacher a lot like that. What I discovered after subbing for others at the same school, is that particular teacher is usually always in a bad mood and I concluded, may have a bad home life and takes it out on the rest of the world. When their personal lives are falling apart, usually their classroom ends up falling apart and then they are just plain angry at the world. Never take it personally. She had no reason to act that way to you, she didn't even know you! Therefore, its obvious she is troubled and maybe we should just feel sorry for those unhappy teachers. They will eventually have trouble getting any subs to their class, thus making more problems for themselves!

Elise82

Old 11-01-2006, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Well-said, SUB 2! That is a good way to look at it.

She was so grouchy and sarcastic to those kids in her class, I felt sorry for them (even the misbehaving ones!) I wondered if she ever said a nice thing to them.

thiswayup

been there recently
Old 11-02-2006, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Your teacher must be related to the 5th grade teacher I had to deal with last week! Why does it seem like the 5th grade teachers are more rude than the rest? We "subs" aren't stupid or incompetent!
I understand completely, I was in a pod of 4 teachers and one was horrible, the other liked to cause trouble and the third was a long-term sub and didn't even talk to me. What did help me through the day was a little beaded angel pin that 2 of the 5th grade girls gave me for being a great sub.
Then, while I was subbing in another class the next day, the 5th grade teacher I subbed for called me on the phone to thank me for coming in!
This teacher always thanks me and that's always a pick me up.
If these teachers have personal problems that make them mean and nasty, why don't they leave the problems at home? I always try to do that if I've become upset before I get to a school.
What kind of example is that nasty teacher setting for her students?
I would take time off from that school and the next time you go back, if you go back, you have to rise above these nasty teachers, don't let them bring you down. Of course, I wish I could follow my own advice, I know it's hard to do.
I am very uncomfortable when I come in and the teacher is there and has meetings all day or whatever. It makes it hard for me to make that classroom my own when the regular teacher is there.
Elise, I hope you have better experiences. I hope we all have better experiences.
thiswayup is offline   Reply With Quote

woodsie79

Old 11-02-2006, 07:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm a third grade teacher and am embarrassed for the teacher in that room. I don't care who you are, that is no way to treat another human being. I'm very sorry that she put you in that position and made you feel that way.

I respect the subs that come into my room and am grateful that they are there so that I can do whatever it is that I need to do during my absence. I always leave detailed plans for what they will be doing that day as well as a sub folder which explains my discipline procedures, students who are helpful, teachers who are helpful, and other important info about our class/school.

Don't get discouraged, I'm sure you do a great job. Sounds like she's the one having the problems!
woodsie79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Elise82

Thanks for your support, everyone!
Old 11-02-2006, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My 1/2 day in 3rd grade today went wonderfully! I had a sweet group of kids. Even though the teacher was actually there, doing reading testing, she was nothing but polite and gracious to me - 180 degrees from that woman yesterday! She kept thanking me for coming in.

Also, during my break, a teacher whom I had done a 3-day bereavement leave for asked me to sub for her again on Thursday, and I gladly accepted because she had a nice class of 2nd graders.
At least at *that* school, they love and appreciate me! Tomorrow, I return to another school where I am welcomed with open arms and am familiar with many of the kids, so I am relieved!
Brook

Brook

Rude subs
Old 11-06-2006, 08:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have had my experience with rude subs too. One time while I was still in the office signing in and getting directions for the teacher's room the actual teacher walked in. The office lady said "OH here's Mrs So-and-so, she can show you where her room is." The teacher didn't say hi to me or anything just very coldly gave me the directions to her room like she was bored out of her mind. A real dry personality. No appreciation and in my opinion no respect, she acted as if I was beneath her.

Then another time I was subbing for a half day and the teacher couldn't leave because she couldn't find her keys. She was looking all over and said "They were just here!" I said "Oh...I didn't see them when I came in." Her reply was "Well! I didn't say you did!" I thought that was rude too. I was trying to be helpful and was even helping her look.

By the way..I am not brave enough to do highschool. I just did middle school for the first time the other week and I really don't have plans of going back there. The kids have zero respect there.

Toni

Cut them a little slack, please
Old 11-06-2006, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

A few years ago, I was taking off 1/2 days and going through some tests. My doc was afraid I had non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. I was so stressed and worried that I was grumpy to everyone. That isn't my nature, but I was so terrified, that the fear manifested itself in that way. If you didn't know me, you would have thought I was a total witch.

Just realize she may be having a bad time, and realize how very valuable subs are to education. We couldn't do it without you!
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Brook

Brook

Old 11-06-2006, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Well yes, that's a good point everyone get stressed out from time to time.

Although I should add with the teacher who was looking for her keys as SOON as walks in the classroom and takes one look at me (in front of a couple students) she says "Oh, it's someone else" and just left the sentence hanging in the air. Obviously I'm not the sub she was expecting. She doesn't smile and introduce herself or anything. Then she explained about 20 min later that she had a sub the day before who said she would be back that day ....she seemed really disappointed. What a welcome, I had never subbed in that school before. Not knowing what to say I said "Oh, I'm sorry." She said "No no it's fine, I was just expecting someone else."

She COULD have gone over the lesson plan with me or something. But no.

The majority of the teachers I have subbed for (that were actually there when I got there) were cold towards me. Not welcoming or even helpful.
I almost want to say stuck up, although keep in mind these are female teachers I'm referring to, I have a feeling the male teachers are completely different. I haven't come across too many snobby men in life!
Brook

Brook

Wonderful Teacher
Old 11-07-2006, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Today I subbed just a half day for a first grade class. The teacher was just sending her kids to lunch when I arrived. I walked with her and the class to the cafeteria (her suggestion) so I would know where to pick them up. After we dropped the kids off we came back to the room and she went over everything with me. She was such a help! Kind, welcoming and she made a great start to my day.

This is the FIRST teacher to treat me this way and the FIRST teacher to go over the plans for the day.

jstef84

Old 11-09-2006, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have just started subbing after many years out of the public school system and am also dissapointed with the disrespect I have received from many teachers. I have also been teaching part time as a P.E. teacher for six years at a private school, along with the subbing, so it's not like I am inexperienced; but many of these teachers seem to think that you are an idiot because you don't have a full time position like them! I sometimes want to remind them that we have to do their same job with so much less planning and information, so I guess we can't be that dumb. My feelings towards subbing often have less to do with the children and much more to do with these rude teachers. On that note, what I think the best approach to a rude teacher like that is to let your district sub coordinator ( or whoever) know that you will not sub for that teacher again and why. Ultimately, if this is a pattern for a teacher like this, noone will want to go in for her and that affects the school staff. I often think that these kind of teachers have never been in our situation and have no understanding for what it's like to be a substitute teacher. Would'nt it be great if every teacher was required to put in some experience annually as a sub? Perhaps that would make them more considerate of subs when writing their plans and such.
jstef84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Brook

Brook

Required Subbing!
Old 11-10-2006, 09:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I liked your post! I have found it's one thing if a student treats you with little respect but what an impact when a teacher does! It can throw you for the whole day and make you second guess yourself. And when you're dealing with students you need every bit of confidence you can get!

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm bashing teachers! I subbed today and the neighboring teachers were friendly and helpful -- with a smile no less! It helps sooo much. It makes you feel welcomed!
Marjorie

Marjorie

It's disgusting
Old 11-05-2009, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I am so disgusted at the behavior of teachers that I no longer want to be one.
I am regularly spoken to rudely and treated badly in front of students.
I am never able to get access to equipment, but I get blamed if it is missing or not stored properly.
I had 4 teachers abuse me (separately) for not recharging school laptops. It made no difference that I hadn't used them!!!!! Even when the students confirmed that we did not use the laptops, the abuse continued.

Regularly, I have teachers stand in the doorway while I am teaching and then they criticize my lessons and classroom management techniques.
I hate teachers.

Super Sub

Old 11-05-2009, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

You all sure make me glad I work where I do. I spend most of my time between two elementary schools. I've been in these schools so long that I'm usually greeted with "Oh, I'm so glad it's you!" or "You will be my sub? Good, then I won't have to write out every single detail in my plans." There are times when I have to go to another school and work for someone new. Usually the worst treatment I've received was that they were just a bit distant. Sometimes they just have to get to know you and trust you. If they aren't willing to do that and just want to make you miserable then, in my case, I just wouldn't ever go back there.
Super Sub is offline   Reply With Quote

lovkteaching

Old 11-23-2010, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

As a teacher that subbed for many years I always go out of my way to treat subs nicely! Our school is well liked because we are so nice to subs. But, when someone is rude to me like that I always try and tell myself what Oprah says. It IS NOT about me but them.
lovkteaching is offline   Reply With Quote