Parent Reading Night - ProTeacher Community

bobcat

Parent Reading Night
Old 11-02-2006, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

In December we're inviting Title I parents to school for an informational night. We'll be having the parents rotate through 4 stations, spending about 15 minutes at each station. We'll be focusing on ways to assist them in learning how to help their child read better. My station is Comprehension Activities. Does anyone have any tried and true methods that you suggest to parents? I'd like to provide them with hands-on activities and/or materials that they can take home to use when reading with their children. In class I use a beach ball with open ended questions which we toss and answer after reading each chapter, novel,etc... to help monitor comprehension and evaluate. I was thinking of giving each parent a beach ball like this. Does anyone else have any ideas?

The other stations we'll be having are Decoding/Phonemic Awareness, Games, and Parter Reading for Fluency. Any ideas you can share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, everyone!

bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsM

Old 11-03-2006, 09:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Similar to your beach ball, I use two dice which are just blank wooden cubes from a craft store. On one cube I have the following: WHAT; HOW; WHO; WHY; WHICH; AND WHERE/WHEN. On the second cube I have: WILL; IS; MIGHT; CAN; DO; WOULD. You can roll both dice and use the two that come up to form a question about the story. I have done this, and I was only stumped once or twice for a question, but then I just rolled again. For example, I just rolled WHAT WILL and came up with this: What will the character do now that he has won the contest?
MrsM is offline   Reply With Quote

Susan/IN

Family Reading Night
Old 11-03-2006, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We're having a family literacy night later on this month. To encourage phonemic awareness, we're going to have a Nursery Rhymes station where one of the teachers will encourage parents to introduce their children to nursery rhymes to build phonemic awareness. I'm going to man the station on reading with your child at home and ways to help your child when he/she gets stuck on a word besides sounding it out. We'll have bookmarks with different suggestions as giveaways plus run a tape that models the different suggestions. Accelerated Reader is an important part of our reading program and one of the teachers is going to work in the computer lab to show that to parents. We are also going to have a couple of writing stations. Finally, our kindergarten students are participating in the Waterford project and so the parents of kindergarten students will get a chance to see that in action. The parents will be able to pick and choose what they want to see. Each child will be given a goodie bag with lots of reading / writing tools in it.
Susan/IN is offline   Reply With Quote

bobcat

Thank you!
Old 11-14-2006, 05:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Mrs. M and Susan,

Thank you both so much for sharing your great ideas! I appreciate that you took the time to reply. Sorry it took me so long to say thanks!!

Mrs. G

How about....
Old 11-14-2006, 06:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Stressing the relationship between oral reading fluency and silent reading comprehension. They can have their children read aloud to them nightly or read to a sibling. You could show them how to make Whisper phones using PVC pipe.

Mrs. G is offline   Reply With Quote

bobcat

Thanks
Old 11-14-2006, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks, Mrs. G. Can you tell me more about the whisper phone and how to make it? I've heard of these, but I've never used them before.

Mrs. G

Whisper phones
Old 11-15-2006, 04:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You use a 3 length of PVC pipe, with a 90 degree elbow on each end (glued on if you want to). The children whisper into the phone as they read and can hear themselves. They love to use these.
Mrs. G is offline   Reply With Quote

bobcat

Great!
Old 11-16-2006, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks, Mrs. G! I'll try to make one this weekend. I appreciate your help!