Math journal/notebook ideas please - ProTeacher Community

tweet

Math journal/notebook ideas please
Old 05-17-2010, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My colleague and I began creating this year an "interactive" math journal based on Dinah Zike's book Notebook Foldables. We have enjoyed what we've done so far, and the kids loved making them, but we need more ideas!! Does anyone else do such? Could you share some of the entries you use?

For examples of what we've done this year, we did a lift-a-flap page of "Math about Me", shutter-fold page on congruency, several lift-a-flap pages of math vocabulary terms, some journal entries such as "If I Was One Inch Tall...", place value game, multiplication chart, etc. These things are all written on/glued onto the pages of a composition book--the kind that has a marble-look cover and sewn pages.

We want to do a LOT more pages next year--at least one for each week's topic. If you have some creative ideas for pages, please share!!

tweet is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsFish3rd

Old 05-17-2010, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I love this idea! I ordered some this year for the next school year to use as Math Journals. I also would be interested in your document.
MrsFish3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

kckrzy

Old 05-17-2010, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Sounds like a good idea to me too. Could you post your document?
kckrzy is offline   Reply With Quote

snowpoppy2

Old 05-18-2010, 02:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

absolutely a great idea! I've always wanted to start a math journal, just never knew how or could get started....if you could post your document to share with us, that would be fantastic!

What about an ABC book about Math? Maybe for a year end review/reflection on what they learned in math all year-or all their school career?
snowpoppy2 is offline   Reply With Quote

tweet

Old 05-18-2010, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm not sure if I made it clear as to what this math journal is...it's not a document I can post--it's actually a 100 page composition book with stuff glued and written in it. But mine only has about 25 of the pages used. I want to create more pages for next year.

The first page we did in the book was "Math About Me". I copied a template from the Dinah Zike book that is a rectangular piece of paper divided into several vertically aligned boxes. We glued the left edge of the paper onto the page, then cut on the lines separating the boxes so that each is a separate "flap" that lifts like a book page. On the flaps the children chose numbers to write that reflected something about themselves. Under the flap, on the composition book page itself, they explained the number. For example, on one flap was 17 and under it was written "My birthdate". Another flap said 2 and underneath was written "Number of pets I have".

When we reviewed addition and subtraction facts, I ran off an addition table for them to glue into the book.

During place value week, I taught them to play a game that we put into the journal--they drew four boxes side by side and another off by itself. I rolled a polyhedral die with 10 sides. Whatever the die landed on, they had to decide in which box to write the number, the object being to try to make the largest 4 digit number possible with one discarded number (their choice) in the 5th box.

Several times throughout the year we made vocabulary pages with little boxes glued to the page by their top edges so the box could be lifted. We put vocabulary terms on the top and the children wrote the definitions underneath.

When we learned capacity, the children drew a "gallon guy" on one page of their books.

These are the sorts of things that we've done so far, but we didn't cover all the skills, and would even like to have multiple pages for some skills. So I would love to hear some ideas from others.

Teach3La

More journal ideas......
Old 05-19-2010, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This might help to give you an idea of what you can do with a math journal. Hopefully these ideas are different from the one's you have done. Risa posted this website on Grades 4-8 Busyboard. It is a journal for Math using Dinah Zikes foldables. Although they are grades 4-8, you can probably use the same ideas.

This is such a great idea for math. When you did this with your class, how often did you add to it?

http://www.scsk12.org/SCS/curriculum...leexamples.htm

Last edited by Teach3La; 05-19-2010 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: Web address correction
Teach3La is offline   Reply With Quote

gardenspace

Me too
Old 05-20-2010, 02:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I tried to do the same thing for first grade this year. I made one from a square with corners folded in to make an "X" to review coins. Coins were on the outside of the flaps and kids wrote the name and value under the flaps. I also did several with large one dollar bills and the correct number of dimes, pennies, nickles and quarters on the back so they can flip up the bill to see how many dimes are in a dollar, etc. I also used hundreds charts so they could highlight odd/even numbers and count by 5, 10 etc.
I will be teaching 3rd grade next year and I'll be looking for more foldable ideas.
gardenspace is offline   Reply With Quote

Techsavvyteac

for 3rd grade
Old 05-25-2010, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I would love to see/hear some ways this whole ideas has been used in 3rd Grade. These seem like a very neat and exciting way for students to be engaged with what they are learning. Ideas--please share!!!
Techsavvyteac is offline   Reply With Quote

tweet

Thanks for the ideas so far!
Old 05-25-2010, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Gardenspace, I like those ideas for teaching coins. I'm also going to "borrow" some ideas from the website, Teach3La.

Last week and this week we have been working on adding multiplication pages to our books--a page for each group of facts. We glued an envelope with the flap cut off at the bottom of the page to hold little paper flashcards that I ran from our textbook resource book. At the top we glued the top edge of a page from a colored paper notepad so it would lift up. On the page we made a list of "Things that come in __s". The kids listed several examples such as ears come in 2s, tricycle wheels come in 3s, 7 dwarves, 8 legs on a spider, 11 players on a football field, 12 months in a year, etc. Under that flap we glued a small 100 chart. They colored all the multiples of that number and looked for a pattern. Finally, we added a third page under the 100 chart that had a t-chart. They listed the numbers 0-12 down the left side and the multiples down the right side.

pgem619

Foldables
Old 04-22-2011, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

The new math book I am going to be using next year has a foldable for each chapter. I would be willing to share once I get my books. Would you be willing to share the foldables and activities that you have already made for your interactive math journals?
pgem619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Meiriwyn

Math Foldables
Old 07-14-2011, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Hi everyone,
The foldables you all are discussing are an integrated part of the McGraw Hill McMillian math program. We started using it in my district 2 years ago; it's taken many of the teachers a while to 'wrap their brains' around their use (some still haven't) but for those of us that have, it has been exciting...and the children love them! I teach 5th and 6th grade struggling students, and for these children it can be a key tool between success and failure with a concept.

You may also want to look into something called "lapbooking."
It is based on the work and ideas of Dinah Zike's foldables (it's almost like a foldable on steroids!). Actually, the notebook you are creating, has a lot of the characteristics of a lapbook.

If you Google 'lapbooks' you can find tons of ideas and even templates for things, much of it free! Homeschoolers use these a great deal as teaching tools and there's a wealth of information out there. I'm introducing the lapbook idea in my school this year (I've been dabbling with it in my classroom up to now), and i love to correspond with others and share ideas.

Meiri
Meiriwyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Creek4

Meiriwyn
Old 07-14-2011, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Is there a link to the textbook online that we could look through for the ideas of the graphic organizer for the math interactive notebook?
Creek4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Creek4

multiplication
Old 07-14-2011, 02:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have a pic from a multiplication math foldable. I probably got it here on PT. I do not have the templates. Does anyone have them?
Attached Files
File Type: doc picture of multiplication lapbook in legal folder.doc (173.5 KB, 341 views)

Last edited by Creek4; 07-14-2011 at 04:48 PM..
Creek4 is offline   Reply With Quote