listening signal - ProTeacher Community

Robbie NY

listening signal
Old 11-05-2006, 09:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

HI, I use a clapping signal to get the children's attention when they are working on an activity. What do you do when some of the class starts ignoring the signal and keeps on doing the activity? I really need some suggestions! Thanks!

Robbie NY is offline   Reply With Quote

tammych

Old 11-05-2006, 10:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I count down from three. When I get to 1, all eyes on me with lips closed. Anyone still talking or working gets their name on the board, which is the final warning before consequences in my classroom.
Also, I do Friday reward time, the class starts with 30 minutes on Monday. But anytime I have to wait I take a minute away. Whatever is left on Friday, they get. I also announce when freetime would have started, but since you owe me minutes we will do x instead.
tammych is offline   Reply With Quote

Zee

give me three
Old 11-05-2006, 11:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

When I need my student's attention I say give me three and hold up three fingers. It stands for Stop, Look, and Listen. I time them each time to see if they can beat their record for getting quiet and eyes on me. They love competition; this is what is currently what works for me. I have a poster that I made that kind of illustrates this. It's on my computer at school...let me know if you're interested in it.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote

lillian

Some of the things I've used
Old 11-05-2006, 11:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Raising my hand and having all students stop and raise their hands

Wind Chimes

Tamborine

Kazoo

Drum (small, hand-held one)
lillian is offline   Reply With Quote

2ndGradeChick

Old 11-05-2006, 12:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I always use a different clap rhythm. That keeps them listening.

2ndGradeChick is offline   Reply With Quote

mab

I use
Old 11-05-2006, 01:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

wind chimes

a stuffed bear that yodels

and sometimes I say, "Peanut butter" and they answer "Jelly!"
mab is offline   Reply With Quote
Bertie

Bertie

signals
Old 11-05-2006, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Just change up your signals, and use various ones. One won't last all year. There are good ideas here, I'll add the good ol fashioned teachers bell, a music box, saying "One Two Three, Eyes On Me" (they answer "One Two, Eyes on You!".......

and a chant we change for the seasons;
One Jack o lantern
Two Jack o lantern
Three Jack o lantern
Boo! It's Halloween!

One Turkey
Two Turkey
Three Turkey
Happy Thanksgiving!

you get the idea........

Robbie NY

listening signal
Old 11-05-2006, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thank you everyone for all of your suggestions! Zee, can you send me your poster file? Thanks so much!
Robbie NY is offline   Reply With Quote

ee

listening
Old 11-05-2006, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

a few more quiet signals:
catch a bubble: students take a breath and hold it
be a snail: middle finger and ring finger and thumb press together. Pinky and pointer go up (antennae of the snail) We hold our hand in that position as a reminder to be quiet

I chant: 1,2,3 eyes on me
kids respond: 1,2 eyes on you
ee is offline   Reply With Quote

kcat

attention signal
Old 11-06-2006, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

When I need my student's attention and it is a noisy time, I'll just say "If you can hear my voice clap your hands 3 times" in a normal voice. The students nearest to me will clap (which gets the attention of the others). If need be I will say "If you can hear my voice snap your fingers 5 times" - this can be changed each time to make it more interesting for the students. I've done claps, snaps, jump in the air, etc. It needs to be something that makes some noise to get the other student's attention. I don't generally have to do it more than two times and I finish up with "If you can hear my voice your mouths should be closed and your eyes on me."
kcat is offline   Reply With Quote

summertime

read it on one of the posts
Old 11-07-2006, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I love this and of course found it on PRO TEACHER. I say 1 Fish 2 Fish and they say Red Fish Blue Fish. Used to do 123 Eyes on Me but when they have to respond they are more attentive.
summertime is offline   Reply With Quote

plinton

Old 11-08-2006, 11:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I always say in a regular toned voice, "if you are listening touch your ear". If not everyone is tuned in I will continue with "touch your nose". If needed continue with touching other places like elbow, eyes, knees, until the group is with you.

Our school also does a "Give me Five" program that is campus wide K - 2. We have a large poster of a hand. Each finger starting with pinky: eyes on speaker, mouth quiet, body still, ears listening, hands free. Anytime an adult holds up their hand and says "give me five" the children stop and look at them. There are always the few that you have to wait to get their attention.
plinton is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. G

signals
Old 11-08-2006, 12:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

One, two, three, eyes on me.

turn out the lights

ring a bell

give me five (hold up your hand and put one finger up one by one)
Mrs. G is offline   Reply With Quote

pinkdaisy226

Old 11-08-2006, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I do the "Give Me 5" signal and I have that poster (from reallygoodstuff.com) up on the wall. I've started calling out FREEZE real loud and the students have to freeze til I'm done, then they get to "melt down". My co-worker does this thing where she says "And a hush fell over the room" and the students have to respond by hushing in unison, which is really cute.
pinkdaisy226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Emme

Emme

freeze
Old 11-08-2006, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Try saying "freeze please" really softly - it works too.

nene

3 observations from a student teacher
Old 11-09-2006, 10:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Hello everyone~ I am a student teacher observing a second grade classroom. The students are a little “feisty”; therefore my cooperating teacher has employed a variety of signals to get the students attention. As an observer I am able to see how these different signals have worked. My cooperating teacher gave me a wonderful piece of advice, “kids don’t want to miss out on anything that their peers may be doing. If you can get the group to start something, however trivial it may be, the other students will play copycat. It is up to you to create a fun, new way to get the students attention”. Here are three examples that I have observed.

~Clapping your hands in patterns and having the students follow the patters; make sure to change the pattern each time so that the students stay engaged in the activity. This will prompt the disruptive students to focus on the patterns.

~Softly start to sing a song that the students know. (We use songs the students are working on in music class and seasonal songs.) As more students join in the song gets louder until all of the students are singing.

~The “S” sound. Softly start the “s” sound. The students will follow your lead.

These three examples have been used successfully in classroom I am observing. I was amazed to see how the simplest thing could focus the student’s attention. Once the attention was focused the teacher transitioned to the next activity.
nene is offline   Reply With Quote