Help

ARCHIVE

Service Projects

>

PEPteach

Service Projects
Old 11-05-2006, 12:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I wanted to get my class involved in some kind of service project for the holiday season. Does anyone have any experience with this? What are some ideas of things we could do? I don't want the students to have to bring in money...I want them to have to work at something.

PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

lillian

I've done this
Old 11-05-2006, 01:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The kids were in 6th, and we had a car wash, then took the money we earned to buy a family presents and dinner for Xmas.
lillian is offline   Reply With Quote

mab

service projects
Old 11-05-2006, 01:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our middle school and high school get involved with this one afternoon every October. It takes a lot of coordination, but is a wonderful service project. They go and wash windows, rake leaves, clean gutters, paint, mend, repair, trim, clean anything you can think of! They announce it about a month before and it's in the paper. All you had to do to have someone come and help you with a job that needed to be done is call the school offices and they would take your name and address and the job and find out any necessary info. Teachers, staff, and volunteers help supervise. It's a wonderful way to impress upon teens that they are needed, too!
mab is offline   Reply With Quote

nbcteacher

Mr. Rodgers
Old 11-05-2006, 01:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Does your community have a sweater drive? Many communities have one this time of year in honor of Mr. Rodgers.
nbcteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

busytchr

service projects
Old 11-05-2006, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've taken my fifth and sixth grade classes to work at a soup kitchen for a day and it really made an impression on them. We were there from about 8:30am to 2:00pm and there was plenty to do! The kids and adult chaperones had various jobs such as wrapping the silverware, cleaning vegetables, serving food, stocking the food pantry and even helping sort clothing donations in the clothes store.

It was great for even young children to know that they can make a difference in the lives of others!

busytchr is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

mab's post reminded me
Old 11-05-2006, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

of when my youngest son was in high school. The youth group wanted to go to Mexico to build a house, but they had to raise money to go. They had a fund raiser called "Rent A Kid". People called with jobs they needed to have done, and the coordinator sent an appropriate kid. My son painted, weeded, picked up brush, helped roof, and took a deck apart. It was great experience. I liked that they had to work to raise money to go work somewhere else.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

1gr81ntheus

Little Effort & Big Payoff
Old 11-06-2006, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

There's a charity where you can record Sesame street programs on VHS tapes for ESL children and you mail them in. There's a company that pays for you to ship six pack rings to them and they turn them into biodegradable six pack rings. The Knights of Columbus collects used prescription eye glasses year round for people who can't afford them. We had fun with this project because we created donation boxes made from shoe boxes and dropped them off at businesses and churches, the front office, etc.
1gr81ntheus is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach 5

service
Old 11-06-2006, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We walk down the street & visit the seniors that live in a senior community not far from our school. The kids bake cookies, then we take checkers games & cards to play with the seniors. It has been a great experience for our kids & the seniors like the company.
We also make cards, placemats, or bookmarks at various times of the year. We give them to the church to be distributed to the shut-ins by the visiting ministry. You can also make them for the children's hospital in our area.
Teach 5 is offline   Reply With Quote