5th Grade Word Wall - ProTeacher Community

Teach4Life001

5th Grade Word Wall
Old 05-28-2010, 07:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am being moved from 3rd to 5th for the upcoming year. In 3rd, I had three word walls. A main one that the kids used for writing and some occasional word wall activities, a math word wall, and a language word wall for the academic vocabulary.

My question is...what kind of word walls do you guys use in 5th? I can't decide between an alphabetized main one used for writing purposes. Or more like a vocabulary word wall where I will add words to and so will the students.

Thoughts?

Teach4Life001 is offline   Reply With Quote

cooper5

Math Word Wall
Old 05-29-2010, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would strongly suggest a word wall just for math. I teach 5th and there are so many terms for them to remember that I have found word walls help. I also have them do flip books and other foldables to help them remember.
cooper5 is offline   Reply With Quote

parker

5th Word Walls - Do it
Old 05-30-2010, 05:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Since 5th graders understand a great deal more vocabulary than they will use in their speaking and writing and because the content level vocabulary is very, very heavy in 5th grade, I have 4 pocket charts. One for language arts, one for math, one for science, and one for social studies. The language arts chart is divided in half for our vocabulary and content area words. I put content area vocabulary in the other three charts.

At the beginning of the year, I make my students face the word/vocab wall whenever we are explaining or discussing in class. I am very, very firm that they use the words both in speaking and in writing. For example: they must use the words sum, difference, value of, etc. when explaining math processes, they arenít allowed to say "I gotÖ".

Students may challenge each other, or me, to a "read down" which really means they just read the words aloud in the charts as fast as they can. (Helps develop word recognition and fluency for the words.) By the second month of school, I frequently see my students looking at the word walls whenever we are discussing, explaining or writing. Students are responsible for being able to spell the words correctly as long as the words remain on the chart.

After the first few weeks of school, the charts are full. I change out the older words for newer words as new words are introduced in lessons. I also have colored transparent highlighters that I use to highlight each new word on the charts as I introduce them. I keep my vocab. words for each subject area organized in envelopes and I keep the envelopes organized by units. As I take words off the charts to make room for new ones, I file the older ones in the envelope so I donít have to make new words each year.

What I like about this system is that my students can see and make connections between words throughout the curriculum. For example, one of our language arts prefixes we study is "trans-" (across, through) and sure enough, just like magic transpiration shows up on the science chart. Itís rewarding to watch the kids make the connections and they will continue to do this all year long. (Occasionally, I have classes that must be led to discover this.) Most of my students remember many of the words long after the word itself has been removed from the pocket chart. (This is similar to what younger students do with words when they are first learning about words, itís just that now they are 10 years old instead of 5 or 6 and the words are more difficult.)
You can see a picture of my pocket chart word wall here. I think itís about the 5th picture.

http://ocrateach.shutterfly.com/

parker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tulips

Word wall
Old 06-05-2010, 08:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Great replies here! I hadn't thought to use specific word walls instead of one general one. This year I will create some specific ones. Thanks for the ideas!

Parker, thanks for the detailed explanation, it was really helpful!!

Tulips
Tulips is offline   Reply With Quote

alicej

Old 06-04-2011, 10:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Cool pics.

alicej is offline   Reply With Quote
yahni

yahni

titles
Old 09-02-2011, 02:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

any word wall would be fine tome because as long as i learn in school i would be fine because my teacher taught it to me so it will be fine that is my answer to your question at my own perspective that talked about