Journeys-Houghton Mifflin Reading Series - ProTeacher Community

Journeys-Houghton Mifflin Reading Series
Old 06-04-2010, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Can anyone share their experience with the Journeys Reading Program for 4th grade? We will be using in in September, and would appreciate some insight. Thanks!

MrsSusko

Journeys
Old 06-04-2010, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use the Journeys Series. It covers a lot of material which is good for testing, but it is up to you to review the material throughout the year if you want your students to remember it. I really enjoy the third theme called "That's Amazing." It has great stories and the kids can let their imaginations run wild. I have a wiki where I have gathered some resources to use with the series. The address is listed below:
http://riversideelementaryeastgrade4.../Language+Arts

You can find resources for each theme by clicking on the side navigation links. Good luck!
MrsSusko is offline   Reply With Quote

Mindfull

Thank You
Old 06-04-2010, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Wow, I am new to 4th also. I went to the web site I used for 3rd and they didn't have much.
This is fantastic. Thank you for asking the question and a big thanks to the poster
Mindfull is offline   Reply With Quote

Journeys User
Old 06-05-2010, 06:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you so much! This is just what I needed. We will be getting the series over the summer, so your information is really valuable as a 'heads up' before September. So sweet of you.

Ren

Old 06-05-2010, 12:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Here's a website I have used as well...

http://www.willoughby-eastlake.k12.o...LINK_page.html

Ren is offline   Reply With Quote

ubs

journeys
Old 06-05-2010, 03:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We will also be getting the Journeys this fall, but I think the stories are different in the new version and are not the same as the ones on the websites the others mentioned. I wish they were. Those websites are fantastic.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote

Niki

teacher's guide
Old 06-05-2010, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I believe some of the stories are the same. Unless they have changed them all recently. We just purchased the new teacher's guides a year or two ago and most of the stories were the same.
Niki is offline   Reply With Quote

Jalon

Journeys
Old 06-06-2010, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I just compared the 2005 Riverside Elem. Journeys stories to the new edition (which we are also getting this fall) and the stories are quite different. I'm also hoping to find some resources for the copyright 2011 series!! I love the stories in the 2011 edition we'll be getting, but also love the resources/pacing guides from the older versions that are linked here.
Jalon is offline   Reply With Quote
NancyDEL

NancyDEL

Journeys... First year don't panic
Old 12-12-2010, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

This is our first year using journeys. Your first year will be hard, especially if the grades under you have not used the program. Don't get overwhelmed by all of the materials, masters, and skills. There is no way you can finish it all. We thought their "projectables" were transparencies, but they are not. The company expects that all classes have a Smartboard. We all do not, and that led us to copy all the masters. Also, there is no way you can give four tests at the end of the week, so choose them carefully. The vocab. tests test material that you have not taught so use these sparingly. We found that the material is much harder and we have to suppliment it with easier materials so our kids can be successful. I would not choose this program if I had a vote. It seems to be made for schools with exceptionally bright students that you may find in a university town or a very rich districe. Good luck!
jon larkin

jon larkin

Old 08-28-2011, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Does anyone have any powerpoints or resources on the new journeys?
Jon
AmeliaC

AmeliaC

Journeys Resources
Old 09-28-2011, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

All the Journeys print-based materials are available online at ThinkCentral.com. Ask your administrator for your school's password. This also has all the planning guides and assessment generators.

Other materials such as the Common Core documents are available at hmheducation.com/journeys.

Hope this helps!