Help

Third Grade

Your Favorite Science Lesson

>

ILuvKaliNJay

Your Favorite Science Lesson
Old 06-11-2010, 06:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So, it's that time of year where I'm gathering new ideas for next year. I thought it would be great if we all shared our favorite Science lesson from this past year. I didn't teach Science this year so I'm a little rusty. I'd love to hear about the great lessons you guys did with your classes this year! A favorite that I had done prior to this year was making the root beer floats for states of matter: the rootbeer was the liquid, the ice cream was the solid (while nice and frozen of course) and the bubbles were the gas.

Last edited by ILuvKaliNJay; 06-11-2010 at 06:31 AM.. Reason: mistake
ILuvKaliNJay is offline   Reply With Quote

SunLovin

Old 06-11-2010, 08:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I love that idea! I know my students always enjoy lessons when food is involved. Some of my favorites are having them create the moon phases out of oreos and creating a small model of the solar system using different small candies (such as lemon drops, gumdrops, peppermints, etc.). Last year I also brought in a toaster oven to bake muffins to discuss chemical and physical changes, and the students enjoyed that as well. (I prebaked a whole batch of muffins , b/c we only were only to do a few in the toaster oven). These activities were super simple to implement and the students loved them! I'll be glad to add the rootbeer float to my list of activities this year!
SunLovin is offline   Reply With Quote

ILuvKaliNJay

Solar system candies
Old 06-11-2010, 09:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

SunLovin, I'd like to hear a little bit more about how you modeled the solar system with the candy. Thanks!

1956BD

A States of Matter Lab is Also My Favorite
Old 06-11-2010, 09:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I give them an ice cube in a snack size zip lock baggie. (solid) I ask them to try and change the solid to a liquid without taking it out of the bag or putting it in their mouth. We make it a race to see who can have all liquid first. They often suggest going outdoors in the sun. This works well because we live in central Texas and do this unit in late August or early September. Then when we have liquid I ask what state of matter we have not made. They say gas. We discuss ways to make gas. I ask them if they can see gas. When they say no, I ask if they would like to see gas. They all say yes. Then I give each a half tablet of Alka Seltzer to add to their baggie and then make sure they zip it up tightly. The tablet dissolves and the baggie begins to fill with gas and expands like a balloon. They love it! Okay, they can't really see the gas but they are sure it is there because the baggie is growing. I have never had a baggie explode. I buy generic Alka Seltzer at Walgreen to save $.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

choosejoy

one of my students' favorite
Old 06-11-2010, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Growing Gummy Bears - using clear plastic glasses fill with water about half way, then put in a gummy bear. It grows..a wonderful way to teach and show osmosis. We also measure the gummy bear before putting it in water and after it has been in water for a day or two.

choosejoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Happy Knitter

Old 06-11-2010, 01:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My favorite activity as far as the learning bang for my buck was this one. EVERYONE fully understood the rock cycle and types of rocks after we did this.

Next year I'm going to create some sediment on my own at home to add to theirs, because they didn't really have enough sediment to create a sedimentary and metamorphic rock. We had to combine everyone's sediment to make one class rock.

http://www.raft.net/ideas/Playing%20...ck%20Cycle.pdf
Happy Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote

ggluvbug

Old 06-11-2010, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

At the beginning of the year, to introduce the concept of scientific observation, we made Oobleck. The students made predictions on what the concoction would feel like, and then after they mixed it up, we had a discussion about physical characterics and made a class list of the characteristics of the Oobleck. The kids absolutely loved it!

Quote:
A favorite that I had done prior to this year was making the root beer floats for states of matter: the rootbeer was the liquid, the ice cream was the solid (while nice and frozen of course) and the bubbles were the gas.
This is a great idea. This is why I love PT!
ggluvbug is offline   Reply With Quote

Sunflower123

Great Ideas!
Old 06-11-2010, 07:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

These look like great ideas - can't wait to try them with students. Want to be sure to include these in my interactive science notebook (I'm gonna try it this year thanks to so many great PT posts about it!!)
Sunflower123 is offline   Reply With Quote

sexyting

Old 06-12-2010, 06:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We put marshmellows in the microwave and set it and watch them blow up and they got to eat them and they enjoy it
sexyting is offline   Reply With Quote

ILuvKaliNJay

Sunflower123-Interactive Science Notebook
Old 06-12-2010, 06:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Sunflower123, would you mind explaining about the interactive science notebook? Thanks!

Creek4

ggluvbug
Old 06-12-2010, 08:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I'd be interested in hearing more about Oobleck. What is it? What concept does it go with?
I'm looking for more fun things to do with sound and light in fifth grade
Creek4 is offline   Reply With Quote

momteach310

oobleck
Old 06-12-2010, 08:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Oobleck is a mixture of cornstarch and water and food coloring. You can find the directions here:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Oobleck/

this one has explanations :
http://www.science-house.org/CO2/act...r/oobleck.html
it is used to teach states of matter - it is great fun too!

Last edited by momteach310; 06-12-2010 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: added
momteach310 is online now   Reply With Quote

teachjam

Old 06-12-2010, 09:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Thanks for sharing this idea. I teach this and struggle with this concept. I've used the sedimentary sandwich with pressure on a pbj sandwich, and mining for rock cookies, and
melting chocolate , etc. but this makes more sense.
teachjam is offline   Reply With Quote

SunLovin

Solar System Candies
Old 06-12-2010, 10:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

ILuv,

The activity is very simple. All you need is a few different candies that you want to use for the sun and the planets. Then I had my students use a paper to create the solar system. Of course they glued the candy the represented the sun in the center of the plate (I believe we used one of those lemon hard candies for this). Then they used other candies in their proper place around the sun. You could also have them use their pencils to draw a circle from the candy to represent each's planets orbit path around then sun. Hope this helps!
SunLovin is offline   Reply With Quote

goldwinggirl

Chemical/ Physical Change
Old 06-13-2010, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

We use whipping cream to make butter & then eat the butter on crackers.The kids really get a kick out of this one. Make sure to put the whipping cream in a plastic container. Each kid gets to shake the container ~~ until it be comes butter. I usually don't tell them what we are making. They must make "predictions"
goldwinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 06-13-2010, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

playdoh to teach matter....or you can use it during geometry to teach 3-d shapes

another is mystery powders:
7 white mystery powders(flour, salt, baking soda, sugar, etc.) students must go through the scientific process to make a hypothesis of what type of powder it is....and perform different tests on it: taste, touch, adding drops of water, etc... I did this in 6th grade(as a student, with a partner) and i think it would work with any grade
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote

ecse129

Old 06-13-2010, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I am LOVING these ideas so far!
We also do the Oobleck activity and I have it set up at stations across the room with various kitchen utensils. They have to use the "tools" and their senses to try and figure out what the Oobleck is and what it is made out of. They make a hypothesis at the beginning before testing and then at the end they all tell me what they think it is and I give them the correct answer.

A really simple one that I do with matter is to "act out" the phases of matter. I have them group up really tight and attempt to wiggle to show a solid. Then they can spread out a little but have to still be touching another student at all times, then the group attempts to move. I also have them shift to a new shape such as starting on a rectangle rug and then having them shift their shape to a circle. This is liquid. Then I have them spread out and bounce all over the room to show gas. I then call out the phases in order, gas, liquid, solid, liquid, gas, etc. and have them group back together to show that phase. We play this for a few minutes and then discuss why we never went from gas to solid or solid to gas. This not only helps them with the states but also changing states.
ecse129 is offline   Reply With Quote

ILuvKaliNJay

Types of Rocks
Old 06-14-2010, 06:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I've done another one for types of rocks that the kids love. We make the sedimentary rock sandwiches where they use different ingredients that represent sediments found in nature (sand, clay, animal bones, etc) to form their sandwich in layer. Then they must write a story explaining what occured in nature to make each sediment end up in their "rock." For igneous rocks we melt the chocolate chips and then let them cool and harden into candy. For metamorphic rocks we make pancakes (applying heat and pressure). These activities stuck too, the kids were really able to remember how each type of rock was formed.

dwfl

earthworms
Old 06-14-2010, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

At the end of the year, we had plants/animals. Besides the usual, I did an aims activity with earthworms- they read about them, then observed and timed how long it would take to bury itself. I couldn't believe how excited they were!!
The other fun one was with energy. I gave partners a battery, a piece of wire, and a small lightbulb. They had to make the bulb light up- I didn't give them any more directions than that. Eventually, one kid figured it out and they all got it!
dwfl is offline   Reply With Quote

mrs_c

Just found this post...
Old 07-18-2010, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

...and I'm so glad I did! What great ideas!

My favorite from this past year was when we were learning the layers of the soil. We learned bedrock, subsoil, and humus. We made a dirt cake to show the different layers! Each child got a small clear plastic cup, and put a full oreo in the bottom. I mixed up chocolate pudding and it was the subsoil, and then they each crushed two oreos in a baggie and dumped it on top for the humus. Before they ate it, though, they had to draw a picture and label it in their science journals! It was a great hit!
mrs_c is offline   Reply With Quote

sci.chick.330

ILuvKaliNJay...
Old 07-18-2010, 08:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

...you asked about the Interactive Science Notebook. I use one in my class as well and it's a great tool!

Here's a website that can help. She has a powerpoint that you can download that has pictures of each page in her kid's notebook.

http://sciencenotebooking.blogspot.com/

Hope it helps some!!

Thanks for starting this thread - wonderful ideas!!
sci.chick.330 is offline   Reply With Quote