Student Teacher Goodbye - ProTeacher Community

love2read

Student Teacher Goodbye
Old 11-09-2006, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have had a really super student teacher all fall. She is leaving in a few weeks and I would like to do something special for her. I am looking for two suggestions. First, what can I personally do/give? Second, what can I get the kids to do/make? Thanks!

love2read is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Student Teacher
Old 11-09-2006, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When I did my student teaching, the classroom teacher had the kids make me a book. Each child wrote a page and they put it all together for me. It was, and is, so special.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

kwh

Student idea
Old 11-09-2006, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

When I finished student teaching, my cooperating teacher arranged for my students to bring in "teacher supplies" (staplers, tape, bulletin board border, post it notes, etc.). I loved it, and it was a practical collection of items to which all students could contribute.
kwh is offline   Reply With Quote

Toni

Bulletin board letters
Old 11-09-2006, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When I finished student teaching, the kids had copied all of the teacher's bulletin board letters for me- perfectly. That was a ton of tracing & careful cutting. More than 20 years later, I still use those patterns because they are so unique. I've never seen anything like them at a teacher store.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote

fiona1

student teacher gift
Old 11-09-2006, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Apersonal gift my cooperating teacher gave me 26 years ago was a Christmas ornament engraved on it. I think of her and that special time of my teaching career every year when I hang it on my tree. I jsut gave my niece, a first year teacher, a beautiful sounding chime for her desk as a signal sound and a fancy pointer to use for her calender time. She loves them both.

fiona1 is offline   Reply With Quote

i teach k

Old 11-09-2006, 08:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

i've had a few student teachers over the years. some of the gifts were: a scrapbook of her time with us including photos of her teaching different things and a photo of each child with a picture/not that they drew for her, a basket of school supplies (each child brought in something like pencils, pens, staples, post-it's, etc, subscription to "mailbox" magazine.
i teach k is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherCarrie

Old 11-10-2006, 06:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

When I student taught in Kindergarten, my master teacher had all the kids pick a picture book and write a message (they said it, the teacher wrote it), signed their name, and included their school picture attached, on the inside front cover. They presented them to me on my last day. I have all the books still and love looking through them.

My second placement in 4th grade...
My master teacher took a picture from a field trip we went on of the class, myself, and the teacher, and had it screened on to a canvas bag. Then, she had the students sign their names on the bag.
TeacherCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote

ma-bethany

my gift...
Old 11-10-2006, 07:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

the teacher i worked with when i student taught, bought a big basket. she glued all sorts of little teacher type items (i think things that you would normally iron onto a shirt) and put them on the basket. she also had the kids sign the basket in different places. then it was filled with all sorts of teacher goodies.

for a person who loves teacher supplies (more than she likes the kids sometimes) this was a great gift! i still have the basket now to hold all of my toiletries
ma-bethany is offline   Reply With Quote

CageyBee

Student Teacher Goodbye Gift
Old 11-10-2006, 08:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

The following were ideas we did in Kindergarten and first grade over a period of years. As I type it out I'm chuckling thinking how my sixth graders would LOVE to do some of these now!

My friend made a fabulous gift for her student teacher...and we all wanted one, too! She painted a terra cotta flower pot on the outside in a pale blue but she left the rim natural. Then she painted grass on the bottom third and added 19 stems and leaves. When this was dry she had each child (18 of them) make two thumbprints...one on a stem and one any place else. The color of the paint depended on their predrawn suggestions for the "garden". For example, one little girl made a brown thumbprint on a stem and a red thumbprint on the grass. When everyone added their thumbprint she let them add the details. The little girl with the brown center turned that flower into a daisy and her red print was a ladybug crawling in the grass. My friend had a super thin black Sharpie and she added their names in teeny tiny print. She also contributed with her thumbprint...she made a caterpillar with some of the other children who couldn't think of a bug to add.

When all the details were added...and it looked gorgeous...she wrote in calligraphy on the unpainted rim..."Thumbody at _______ School loves you very much!" You could do any seasonal picture and use their thumbs as the starting point for the details. Other sayings could be:
"Thank you for brightening our day!" and have all little sunshine faces.
"You made our garden of learning grow!"
"You're one in a million!" and do snowflakes all over.
"We're thankful we know you!" and make little turkey bodies out of the thumbs and the children add the feather and head details.

Another thing I have done is to tape the children talking about her/him while they drew pictures of a favorite lesson or moment with the student teacher. Too funny!

I also had a colleague take a class picture of us holding pieces of paper that spelled out a message...We'll miss you, Mr. So & So and added it to a really cool frame along with a gift card to a teaching supply store.

I also found a picture of a really great bird in flight that became the cover of a class book. The title was, "We gave you your wings, now fly!" Each child drew a bird doing a task and wrote what the new teacher should do when she has her own class. At the end of the book we had a picture of ourselves wearing bird headbands and "sitting" in a nest made of bulleting board paper crumpled around our feet.
CageyBee is offline   Reply With Quote

klperry

another idea
Old 11-10-2006, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Hi, when I had my first student teacher she was preparing to get married. I went to an engraving store in the mall and had a brass name desk plate made for her with her new married name, she LOVED it. I felt like I had been a part of her wedding preparations for months that I should get her a little wedding present, so the name plate went in with my photo album for her. My kids made her a book and write poems to go in the book with pictures of themselves, it went over well.

Another idea is to give something unrelated to school. Maybe a gift certificate for a movie rental place or theater, these usually aren't too expensive. I give a small gift bag with microwave popcorn, milkduds, snocaps with the gift certificate. She might like to have something fun.

But...as was said before, I'm a teacher and we LOVE school supplies, so that basket idea is a great one. Also loved, gift certificates to a local teacher's store.
klperry is offline   Reply With Quote

1stgradenew

loved mine
Old 11-11-2006, 05:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I student taught in K and got two things. I got a canvas bag with a painted handprint of each child then they signed there name by it. I also got a picture book from the unit that I did where each child signed there name. I LOVED both.
1stgradenew is offline   Reply With Quote

azfarkas

Books!
Old 11-11-2006, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

A friend of mine had her students each bring in a new copy of thier favorite book (picture or chapter) and they wrapped them and put them into a cavas bag with the student teachers name on it. The student teacher then had a library of books for when she started teaching! It was so neat
azfarkas is offline   Reply With Quote
JennyIA

JennyIA

shower
Old 11-15-2006, 09:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

For my student teacher one year we had a "shower" for her...we did "invitatations" for guests (other teachers, principal, secretary...just like a real shower they could just send gifts if they couldn't attend! , decorated as for a baby or bridal shower, a cake, punch, etc. Each student brought in a school supply (everything from a playground ball to a stapler to some post its), which I helped them wrap. These are kids with not a lot of extra money, so I encouraged them to bring in anything, even a few gently used pens or whatever they could spare, also I had extra things to contribute for kids who couldn't afford anything. Just wrapping it with a pretty bow or something made them feel like they'd given something really nice. Then on party day we played a musical chairs thing for opening gifts...she sat in a special chair, the kids were in chairs in a circle with her, I played music as they passed wrapped gifts then when the music stopped that was the gift she opened. When all was done I had a cute basket for her to put all her supplies in and a gift card to the local teacher supply store. It was really fun and she loved it. This is for a 4/5 classroom.

philliJ

When I finished
Old 11-16-2006, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

When I finished my student teaching in addition to a class party my Mentor had each of the kids bring in one copy of their favorite children's book. Laura decorated a "Teacher Tub" with a school theme using paint pens and then each book was in the tub with a message to me inside of the cover. While I share those books with my students now, I'd never put them out in the classroom library because they are each so special!
philliJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Miss Melissa

Old 11-17-2006, 05:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I had 2 placements. In the first one, the co-op teacher sent me out to make a TON of copies (I was very suspicious) and she gave each kid a teacher supply to give me. When I got back in the room, she made me sit down, gave me one of those canvas bags, and each kid came up and put something in the bag for me! They loved being involved and got really excited!

My second placement teacher did something similar. She got one of those canvas bags, and decorated the front with my name and cutsey school stuff on it. She had the bag in another room and had each kid go sign the back of the bag for me. Inside she wrapped a bunch of teachery stuff for me, and I opened all of it in front of the class. They got so excited watching me open the stuff, and one kid who had bonded with me very well drew me a picture and had put it in the bag as well. That teacher also threw a pizza party for the whole class (only 8 kids, myself, her and a TA). It was so sweet, I was so sad to leave!
Miss Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
jake

jake

hi
Old 11-30-2006, 08:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

well you can give the teacher some chocolate for the chidren is a speach!thanks!
bianka

bianka

got your answer
Old 11-30-2006, 10:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

well ifyou can do both if you want to anyway ! i'm just saying anyway