My Daily 5 Parent Letter - ProTeacher Community

Cerelien

My Daily 5 Parent Letter
Old 06-22-2010, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have read the books three times each, phew, and I am planning to launch Daily 5 and CAFE in my Grade 2/3 classroom this September. Here is the parent letter I have written, using the one the sisters provide, and my own ideas. What do you think?

Dear Families,

It won’t be long until you hear about “The Daily 5” and the “CAFÉ Menu”, so I wanted to give you a quick overview of this new literacy framework, developed by Gail Boushey and Joan Moser, so that you’ll know what your child is talking about. The Daily Five is a way of structuring the reading block so that every student is independently engaged in meaningful literacy tasks. These research-based tasks are fun, engaging, and have big impacts on student reading and writing achievement. Each day, the students will receive 2-3 whole group reading strategy lessons. In between these group lessons, the students will work independently on one of the “Daily 5” tasks for 15-20 minutes. During this time, I will provide focused, intense instruction to individuals and small groups of students. Here are the Daily 5 components:

• Read to Self: The research continually shows that the very best way to become a better reader is to practice, practice, practice! Your child will read books at his/her “just right” level each day, practicing reading strategies from the CAFÉ menu. Reading is FUN!

• Read to Someone: Reading to someone helps develop reading fluency and comprehension, and it’s FUN!

• Listen to Reading: Listening to reading helps children develop reading fluency. It also allows them to access texts that they can’t read independently yet. And of course, it’s FUN!

• Work on Words: Working with words helps children become better spellers and writers. Your child will learn about word families, practice high frequency ‘sight’ words using play dough, stamps, tiles, and whiteboards, and work on spelling. Working on words is FUN!

• Work on Writing: Just like it takes practice, practice, practice to become a better reader, it takes practice, practice, practice to become a better writer! During Work on Writing your child will work on writing of their own choice. Working on writing is FUN! We will also have a separate Writer’s Workshop later in the day to work on specific forms of writing.

The CAFÉ menu is a collection of highly effective reading strategies that the students will be taught to use, to help them become better readers. They are organized into four goals:

• C is for Comprehension: “I understand what I read.”
• A is for Accuracy: “I can read the words.”
• F is for Fluency: “I can read smoothly, with expression.”
• É is for Expanding Vocabulary: “I know, find, and use interesting words.”

During individual conferences, I will listen to your child read, help him/her pick a reading goal, and suggest a reading strategy that will help. I will provide coaching on how to use the strategy, and then meet back with your child at a later date to see if he/she has been able to use the strategy. Your child should be able to tell you exactly what goal he/she is working on: “I am working on my accuracy”, and his/her strategy: “I am looking for small words inside big words to help me read new words”. Research shows that when students know exactly what they need to work on, and why, they are much more successful in meeting their goals!

I hope that this brief introduction to the “The Daily 5” and the “CAFÉ Menu” has been helpful. If you have any questions, please feel free to send a note in your child’s agenda, and I will do my best to answer them.

Sincerely,

Cerelien is offline   Reply With Quote

sonjateacher

Old 06-22-2010, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That looks wonderful to me!
sonjateacher is offline   Reply With Quote

juniebjones

copied
Old 06-22-2010, 08:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

and pasted...thanks!
juniebjones is offline   Reply With Quote

bobcatgirl

Old 06-23-2010, 05:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you so much for posting this letter. It is awesome and I will be using it.
bobcatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

brittlelady

Old 06-23-2010, 05:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you so much for sharing your hard work. I love PT.

brittlelady is offline   Reply With Quote

motherduck92

Right on the money!
Old 06-23-2010, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I couldn't have said it better so I copied yours (I honor you!). Thanks so much for sharing your awesome letter. Great job!
motherduck92 is offline   Reply With Quote

shelliebean

Wonderful
Old 06-23-2010, 08:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Wonderful letter,
I hope you don’t mind if I use it. I plan to begin using the Daily Five with my class this year. I will be teaching 2nd/3rd/4th all content in a self-contained room.
Wish me luck.
shelliebean is offline   Reply With Quote

Cerelien

You're welcome :)
Old 06-23-2010, 08:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I don't mind at all. I have gotten so many wonderful ideas here, so it's great to return the favour.

What I loved about writing the letter is that it really forced me to wrap my head around what exactly Daily 5 and CAFE are, and how they work together. I feel like I see the big picture now, and am ready to go for it! Plus, I feel that I could justify my program to other teachers, administration, and parents, if I needed to.
Cerelien is offline   Reply With Quote

beckyau

Thanks!
Old 06-23-2010, 10:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I copied and pasted too!
beckyau is offline   Reply With Quote

jennylearn

Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-23-2010, 11:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I copied and pasted, too!
jennylearn is offline   Reply With Quote

daykinder25

letter
Old 07-15-2010, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thanks for sharing such a great letter.
daykinder25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Starfish3

Thanks!
Old 08-03-2010, 09:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Thanks so much for posting this! Great letter, and I hope you don't mind if I use, too!
Starfish3 is offline   Reply With Quote

msgradeone

Great Letter
Old 09-23-2011, 07:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

This is a great letter. I am going to figure out how to do one for my parents in Spanish too and with some type of images so that they can understand the concept. Thanks for your ideas.
msgradeone is offline   Reply With Quote

wolfeness

Awesome!
Old 10-01-2011, 04:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

This letter is awesome! Thank you so much for posting/sharing. You're right, not only is it great for parents, but it does also help me to wrap my head around both programs. Thank you for your work! Much, much gratitude....LB
wolfeness is offline   Reply With Quote

dingdong2807

Daily 5
Old 01-30-2012, 01:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I have been reading these books and are going to start the Daily 5 and CAFE in my room. How has it been in your classroom and can you give me any point or ideas on how you use it in your room.
dingdong2807 is offline   Reply With Quote