Impact on Student Learning... - ProTeacher Community

LindaR

Impact on Student Learning...
Old 06-25-2010, 08:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi Everyone,
I'm hoping you can provide me with some help...

One of my E4 entries is about my experience on my District's Assessment Team last year. Our new ELA curriculum assessments had a lot of errors, so some of us helped with analyzing the tests (lesson and standards alignment, question construction, etc.). I'm stuck on the impact on student learning part.

Since I don't know what will be revised by the publisher based on our suggestions, and since we have not used any of the revised tests, do I need to wait until next year to write the impact on student learning part?

I do know that when tests are properly aligned with our objectives, we can properly plan and prepare our students. Obviously, this will impact student learning. But shouldn't this part of the writing be proof that it DID impact student learning (rather than it COULD or SHOULD)?

Thanks for your input!

LindaR

LindaR is offline   Reply With Quote

bjenk21

Old 06-25-2010, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The impact on student learning is the cornerstone of this entry. It's vital that you prove it helped students learn- you can write a book or pass a law that helps teachers and students, but if you can't prove it impacted student learning, you have nothing.

One thing my mentors always told me was MORE EVIDENCE!!! You need specific evidence that your accomplishment has impacted student learning. In this case, I would think that scores rising from one year to the next would be great evidence. But if you only have your first set of scores, you can't do that.

I personally wouldn't include something that could or should impact student learning, I would be more inclined to include only evidence that proves point blank that student learning improved as a result of what I did. Maybe others have had success with the promise of impacting student learning though. If so, definitely speak up and tell us your experience!
bjenk21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Charl

Must Prove Impact
Old 06-25-2010, 09:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I totally agree with bjenk21. If you think you will be able to prove this with test scores in the future and include actual scores comparing them to previous scores, it would be OK. If you are not sure and have something else to use, I would go with that and keep this in mind for the future. I feel that since you were working on assessments you have to prove with actual scores that what you did impacted student learning. Just saying it should is not good enough, in my opinion. You want your entry to be very strong, no doubts about impact on student achievement!
Charl is offline   Reply With Quote

Einini

Agree
Old 06-25-2010, 11:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Linda, good for you! Many candidates misunderstand this entry and miss that it must show impact on student learning. If it doesn't, don't use it. You're just wasting space!

I'm wondering if there's any way you can contact the publisher and ask to be part of a test group and then have the results sooner. The worst they can do is say no.

Good luck!
Einini is offline   Reply With Quote

TedEBear

Old 06-25-2010, 11:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would say it depends on when the publisher will have made the revisions and when you will be able to use those assessments that have been revised based on your suggestions. If you will be able to use them by the middle of next year--say, January--you will be able to compare last year's September to January assessment results to this coming year's September to January results, you could include student impact for that period of time. That's why it's such a good idea to begin working on Entry 4 in the summer before the school year you'll be doing your NB work. You know what you still need to do or what evidence you need to gather in the upcoming year. In your case, you may have a "gamble" on your hands, depending on whether or not the publisher finishes the revisions in time for you to use them this year, or whether those revisions really do show impact on student learning. I'm wondering . . . did your school make any changes to your progress-monitoring assessments or grade-level common assessments based on your District Assessment Team's suggestions? If so, you could use those to show student impact--and maybe have that data available sooner (or instead of) the publisher-created assessments. You're definitely thinking along the right lines, and are focused on exactly what you should be--impact on student learning! Good luck!

TedEBear is offline   Reply With Quote