Math pre/post test - ProTeacher Community

2keeplrning

Math pre/post test
Old 06-29-2010, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello everyone! I have visited Proteacher many times but this is my first message. Hope you all can help. Our school district uses a major publisher's curriculum for math. Unfortunately, it really doesn't meet all the needs of the first graders at my school and we have to supplement with bits and pieces from other sources. As a result, we don't really have a pre/post test that we feel really shows growth accurately. I'd like to know what other schools are using.

Thanks!

2keeplrning is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherHeart1

Old 06-29-2010, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our district provides us with a county-wide pre/post test that does NOT really match up with our curriculum... so I can feel your frustration on the issue! I would suggest that you really make sure that are covering all of your standards/benchmarks-- perhaps you could make your own checklist and/or assessment to track your students? I know this would be LOTS of work, but could be beneficial in the long run... or you could ask around and see if anyone has a pre/post test already made?? Good Luck
TeacherHeart1 is offline   Reply With Quote

2keeplrning

Old 06-29-2010, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes, we probably will have to design our own. I was just hoping not to have to reinvent the wheel. Thanks for the feedback!

Saturn

Old 06-29-2010, 07:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We had to create our own....we studied the performance objectives for that quarter, which aligns pretty well with our new math curriculum. Then we went through what we would be teaching and designed our own pre and post math test for the quarter with our grade level team. I also make other, more frequent assessments on my own....I am always tracking where my students are and where they need to be.
Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote

firstgradekw

Old 06-30-2010, 07:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The first grade teachers in my district created math assessments that aligned with our standards on our report card with the units that we teach. We actually use the same test for pre and post to allows us to see growth as well as what needs to be re-taught to the kiddos. We have the kids graph their pre and post test scores as well as set a goal after the pre-test based upon what they feel like they need to work on. It works great...they don't even remember its the same test once we get through the unit.

firstgradekw is offline   Reply With Quote

lead teacher

math pre & post
Old 06-30-2010, 11:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

we had to create our own pre/post test too, and we also graph our results. you could team up with your other first grade teachers and split the chapters for the pre & post test this way you wouldn't have soooo much to do.

we also use the same test for pre/post.....its a lot easier to graph and to see growth
lead teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

tbandwb

Old 06-30-2010, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We also created our own pre/post math test, but we did not align it with the math book we use, we used our state grade level content expectations. The math series we use does not align with those. We have to do alot of supplementing!!!
tbandwb is offline   Reply With Quote

2keeplrning

pre/post tests
Old 07-01-2010, 09:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

What do you all think about having a different test for the BOY and EOY? I am not convinced that giving the EOY test at the BOY is really a good way to determine growth at the end. It seems a little silly--of course they'll do better at the eoy, right? So, I was thinking of doing a pre-test to assess the skills from the K year, then do a post-test that would assess the 1st skills. Wouldn't that be a better measure of growth?
I'm interested in your feedback.