How to clean (dog drool & car questions) - ProTeacher Community

Last Chance to Enter!

tammynj

How to clean (dog drool & car questions)
Old 06-30-2010, 04:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone know if a steam-cleaner would remove dog drool from a car?

SO I love my dog to bits; I do not, however, love that he has basically ruined what was my first almost-brand new car. It's my fault, really; I allow him in the car, with his out of control shedding, and his tendency to lean over from the back seat into the area between the two front seats, and drool. Usually he drools on me, but often, he drools onto the cloth seats. As a result, my car (a Jeep Liberty) is pretty unsightly.

I decided a while ago that I could either have a nice-looking car, or I could have my dog. I chose to just get over the gross car and keep the dog. But I was thinking of getting my car cleaned well (you know, detailed). It would probably only last for a while anyway, but...

My questions are:
* would going to get the car detailed even work on those kinds of stains (to be fair, my DS and I are pretty messy in the car as well. I have spilled hot tea on the seat, and I often give rides to DS and his friends; sometimes they are pretty grubby)

* would a hand-held steam-cleaner work? I could then do the cleaning myself

The car seats are pretty gross. My dog has been drooling on them for a few years now... I am not overly worried; I will probably pass this car on to my DS when he starts driving and get myself a new car (that my dog will NOT be allowed in!)

simplycd

I just saw this last night
Old 06-30-2010, 05:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I was at Lowe's last night and saw cleaner for dog drool in the steam cleaner/vacuum cleaner section. At the time, I thought it was weird to have cleaner just for this. Hmmm ...learning something new everyday.

mooba1

Old 06-30-2010, 05:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't know about the steam cleaner, but we've always used Tuff Stuff. It gets out everything! You can find it at the grocery store or at an auto supply place. Probably Wal-Mart has it as well. After you get the seats clean, wonder if spraying them w/ ScotchGuard would help repel the drool?

ABCand123s

Old 06-30-2010, 05:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The interior in my Pacifica is black. It looked nice when we bought it almost brand new. Not so much now with my two very furry dogs that shed like crazy and their drool. I have a hand held steam cleaner that I recently used on the interior. It worked really well. I would steam the seats and then scrub with a brush. It made it look much better. I should probably go over it again and I bet it would look even better. Oh, and if you don't have a steam cleaner already, we found ours at Big Lots for $20 if you have one of those near by. Good luck!