Multiple Meaning Words - ProTeacher Community

SandyJ

Multiple Meaning Words
Old 11-14-2006, 09:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I need some new ideas for teaching multiple meaning words. I've taught the concept to my 3rd graders, but I want something besides a worksheet for them to do. My brain is drained right now and I can't
think.

Oh yeah, this is for my evaluation..........
Thanks!

SandyJ is offline   Reply With Quote

SandyJ

I'm sorry....
Old 11-14-2006, 10:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have not been on this website lately and it shows! I did a "google" search for multiple meaning words and one of the links took me to
back to a post on Pro Teacher.

Risa, thanks for the links you posted on 10-4-06. I will definitely
check them out. Here are a few more links I found in my search for multiple meaning words.

http://www.manatee.k12.fl.us/sites/e...ltiplemean.htm

http://teacher.scholastic.com/lesson...ultmeaning.pdf

http://www.linguisystems.com/sample1/6-0600-5.pdf

http://www.linguisystems.com/sample2/6-0600-5.pdf

http://ap.accuweather.com/AP-teacher...ti-meaning.htm

The last link uses Kidspiration, which is something I have and forgot about.

Miller

Old 11-15-2006, 08:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

are you talking about synonyms?
Miller is online now   Reply With Quote
newtothird

newtothird

introduced on spelling list
Old 11-15-2006, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Every week I'm creating a spelling list because my resource kids need help with vowel combinations. Last week I used spelling words with ea makes the long e sound. When I created the list I noted next to leaves and stream that they had multiple meanings. The kids used the dictionary a lot last week to develop a few skills. These were two words we looked at. Discussion followed. I was so suprised this week when one my my resource kids saw this week's word "saw." He said, "Does saw have multiple meanings?" For me I'm just making a conscious attempt to introduce the concept. Honestly, I haven't done this in previous years. I was impressed that the kids are discussing the concept and comfortable with multiple meaning words.

Risa

Circle Map divided in fourths
Old 11-15-2006, 09:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We use Thinking Maps, so I modeled how to use a 'circle map' to explain multiple meaning words.

We made a large circle on a page, with a small circle in the middle, where the word was written. (I used the word 'bat' since they are familiar with all three meanings.) Next we drew two perpendicular lines to divide the circle into fourths. In each fourth we did the following for the given word:
-part of speech
-meaning
-sentence using correct meaning
-illustration, if applicable

When my students worked on their own circle maps, they worked in pairs so they could collaboratively decide which resource they might use (thesaurus or dictionary), as well as helping each other determine if they were correctly using the word in the sentences they created for each meaning. (Sometimes the word had more than 4 meanings, for example the word 'set'. I just wanted them to get familiar with the most frequently used meanings, so they kept it down to 4 multiple meanings.)

This really helped them to finally see what I had been trying to explain all quarter about multiple meanings for the same word. Once they did the work and research, they understood what was meant by 'multiple meaning words' and why the dictionary had 'those little numbers' after the entry. That part made me smile, because I thought they knew what the numbers meant those other times we discussed how to use a dictionary.

This just reinforced for me that we really do need a variety of activities to help reinforce concepts... the intended ones and all the peripheral 'stuff', too!

(I'm attaching a sample page with the format in case my description wasn't clear and also for those who might not know what a 'circle map' is. I didn't use this form for my students, as we want them to make their own Thinking Map organizers.)

Attached Files
File Type: doc Multiple meaning words-circle map.doc (26.0 KB, 1011 views)
Risa is offline   Reply With Quote

Cowbell

MM words
Old 11-16-2006, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I used jokes that I found on the web like What do you call a plumber's party? A tap dance. Why did the teacher wear sunglasses? Her students were too bright. Why did the king always draw straight lines? He was the ruler....We also played homophone jeopardy on www.gamequarium.com
Cowbell is offline   Reply With Quote

SandyJ

Thank you!!!
Old 11-16-2006, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks for all the great ideas. I really do appreciate the input...I knew y'all would come to my rescue when my brain was drained.

Risa, did you know you won the doorprize?? Congrats!