UIL oral reading - ProTeacher Community

Angie

UIL oral reading
Old 07-03-2010, 12:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone coach UIL oral reading? I coach a 3rd grade team and I need some ideas for the kids to read. We have done Eric is Allergic To Girls by Kali Dakos, A poem called Earrings (can't remember the author), Today I Feel Silly by Jamie Lee Curtis, We have also done some of the Roald Dahl stories.. Little Red I think... Anyway, I could really use something new. I can retype a book if it is not too long and something where the kids can use expression. Hand motions are always helpful too.. Any suggestions?

Angie is offline   Reply With Quote

tweet

Uil
Old 07-03-2010, 08:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Shel Silverstein is always good, but I think in my area his poems have gotten a bit overdone. One that's always been popular is called Homework. It begins "Homework, oh homework, I hate you! You stink!" I've heard Earrings several times. Jack Prelutsky poems can be good, but you have to look for one that's long enough. His tend to be too short. If you can get an OLD Childcraft book of poems, there are some good ones. Years ago, a 4th grade boy who had been in my 3rd grade class the year before did "The Raggedy Man" (don't know the author), and was absolutely adorable! He wore overalls with one strap loose and had the cutest facial expressions. I've also heard "Jest 'Fore Christmas" done. We don't do oral reading in 3rd--we have storytelling, but the 4th graders come to our classes to practice their presentations.
tweet is offline   Reply With Quote

Angie

Old 07-04-2010, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

thank you tweet! I will call our local town library and see if they have an old childcraft book of poems. You might tell your 4th grade coach, "Wash the Truck Woman, I'm going to town" is a good one.. idk who the author is.. we have done it a lot here though... I am gonna google "The Raggedy Man"...
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Kelly G

Kelly G

UIL Reading
Old 12-14-2010, 01:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've been searching for Wash the Truck Woman, I'm going to Town and cannot find it. Can you send me the verse? Thanks!
loulouintex

loulouintex

Old 05-11-2011, 11:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I know I am a good bit late, but if you need ideas for next year.....
A Snake Named Rover, I Will Not Tease Rebecca Grimes, and Hey Ma, Something is under my Bed are all good ones....