Schlitterbahn - Only have ONE day-- - ProTeacher Community

KellyTeachTX

Schlitterbahn - Only have ONE day--
Old 07-06-2010, 06:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We're headed to Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels tomorrow, and now I'm wishing we'd have purchased the two-day pass. Not sure if we'll have enough time to do everything we want to do!!

It's grown so much since the last time I was there (10 years ago). We have a Cabana reserved at Surfenburg, so we'll start there, but I see on the map that you have to take a tram to get to the other areas...WOW!!

What are the rides that my 14 & 10 yr old SHOULDn'T miss? They've never been before, and since it's been so long since I was there, I don't know which rides we should definitely go on and which ones are a waste of time in line...

Also, should we wear pool/beach shoes, or is it just fine to go barefooted? My DH won't wear them and is looking for a pair of "sandal-type" shoes that he can get wet...I know flip-flops arent' a good idea because they can fly off your feet...The boys and I are going to go look for some today.

Thanks!! Kelly

momteachsis

Old 07-06-2010, 06:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We thought we would only do one day too, but we did go later one afternoon to Surfenburg and Blastenhoff for a discounted price. We stayed there from 4:00 pm to closing. Then we went the next day from opening to closing. The older kids rode the shuttle back to Surfenburg to ride a few of the bigger rides again.

You will need some type of shoe to walk between the old and new section of the park. We did see some people had flip flops and then just took them off and threaded their hands through them on the rides.

Not sure if you realized, but you can bring coolers and food in to the park. The food was very expensive, and the lines were long and slow. When we go back we will definitely do that. When we got there both times it was easy to find a table to put our towels, shoes on. Everyone else was leaving their coolers too.
Also, each of the wristbands you get is good for a free taco at Taco Bell near there. It was a great snack for teens/preteens when we left the park each night.

Rides you could skip: The Congo River Expedition (very short, no thrills-more like the jungle cruise at DisneyWorld)
Since I didn't do the rides, I asked my older kids, and they said "Ride everything else!!!"
When we went the river was still closed, so some of the rides that fed into it were also closed, so we did miss that.

Last edited by momteachsis; 07-06-2010 at 06:52 AM.. Reason: added more

teachergurl

Schlitterbahn
Old 07-06-2010, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I live near there but haven't been in ages. BUT my students talk about it all the time! My kids talk about going to parks 2 & 3, not the original, if that helps any. And I am pretty sure nobody wears shoes. Have fun!

austeach

I love Schlitterbahn!
Old 07-06-2010, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We always go when it opens in the morning. We go to the old/original part first. That's the part I like best because it's shadier. We take an ice chest with sandwiches and find a picnic table to put it on. Get a locker and put your purse and other valuables. They do sell food if you don't have an ice chest. Buy the food tickets when you go through the gate. You can redeem unused ones at the end of the night. We stay over there until about 2 or 3 and then ride the shuttle to the new part. I wear water shoes they sell them there too, but my kids don't. A lot of people don't. The sidewalk gets hot sometimes for their feet, but it's not too bad. If your 10 year old is whiney you might get shoes. Flip flops do fall off and usually I'm holding on for dear life so I don't want to hold them. My 12 year old daughter gets scared easily so she doesn't like to go on the same rides that my 17 year old son and I go on. I would not go on the Master Blaster in the new part. The line is about 1-1 1/2 hours and not worth it for me. In the old part I like the tube rides the best. You first have to get a tube and carry it. Some tube rides we like are the Cliffhanger, Comal Express, Hillside(one of my favorites), Raging River, Whitewater. In the new part we like Dragon's Revenge, Family Blaster, Black Night, Wave Pool(fun!), and Wolfpack. If you or your kids are not adventurous some of these might be a little exciting. I'm in my 50's and like them all, but like I said my daughter does not. We stay all day until closing. If you can stay an extra day you can change your ticket and get a two day. You might be too tired to go a second day though. Sometimes at the very end of the night close to closing the lines are shorter and you can go on several rides in a short period of time. Have fun!

endora

lodging?
Old 07-06-2010, 12:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Does anyone have fav places to stay near the waterpark? How far is the park from New Braunfels? Lake Whitney? San Marcos?

momteachsis

Courtyard Marriot
Old 07-06-2010, 01:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

http://www.marriott.com/courtyard/travel.mi#/home

We love staying there and it's only about 10 -15 minutes to the park.

PPCDTeacher

Old 07-06-2010, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My husband and I try get there as soon as they open, and stay til they close... we try to split up our time evenly but end up spending a huge part of the day in the wave pool-- its our favorite!
This year-- in a few weeks-- we are going for 2 days instead of just 1
Its fine to go barefoot but beach shoes will probably be more comfy.
Have fun!

KellyTeachTX

Back home (almost)
Old 07-10-2010, 10:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We're actually at my in-laws' house now, but it's that almost like being at home. They put my DH and I in THEIR master bedroom and treat my DS's like little princes...of course, we love it here.

We had a great time at Schlitterbahn, and were really glad we rented a Cabana at Surfenburg. I highly recommend spending the extra $ to get one. It was so convenient. The locker was literally 10 ft away, and was twice as big as the regular lockers. We didn't have to worry about people walking by....it was off to the side (on the outer portion) so we didn't have any traffic except for the other Cabana renters (4 other families). We didn't have to worry about leaving our towels, ice-chest, etc...everyone leaves theirs and no one bothers anything.

My only complaint is that I didn't get my legs in shape enough to endure the stairs, hills and walking/standing. WOW!! It took two days before I could get out of a sitting position without my calves KILLING me.

The kids had a BLAST...loved the rides and the attractions. We spent a good bit of time at Blastenoff and Surfenburg in the morning and then after lunch, we went to Schlttb West...took the tram, thank goodnes... I wouldn't have been able to walk that whole way. The WhiteWater Ride was fab!! ICE COLD river water, tho...kind of a shocker when it first hits you...

I was SO exhausted when we left at 7:00 (arrived at 9:15)...I commented to a couple of older ladies on the way out of Schiltterbahn: "Well, I guess it's official... I'm definitely too OLD for Schlitterbahn now". They laughed and said, "I hear ya, girl!!" They looked exhausted, too...

Thursday, we went to Gruene and ate at the Gristmill and enjoyed the General Store and the Antique Shops. Then, we drove over to the outrageously-huge outlet mall at San Marcos. I was still feeling a lot of pain in my legs/calves, so I only went into a couple of stores, and ended up driving everyone else to the places they wanted to go. I wasn't disappointed in doing that, tho... I was glad I was able to just SIT...aahah--- (I ALMOST bought a Dooney/Burke tote bag for $80...it was marked down from $325--- I may have to go back and get it...)

All-in-all, it's been a good trip, but I'll be glad to get back home in my OWN bed...you know how it is...

Kelly

KellyTeachTX

one other thing
Old 07-10-2010, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

The beach-shoes we bought ($4.99 at Academy) were good as long as the liner inside the shoe stayed in place. We were constantly stopped to adjust the liners in our shoes. We decided to hot-glue them before we use them next time....My oldest DS got a pretty good blister from his, but otherwise, we were glad we had those instead of going barefoot...
The sidewalks and brick areas were definitely too hot/stubbly to walk barefooted --

(We never rode the Master Blaster. The wait was THREE HOURS, and we decided we could do everything ELSE instead of waiting in line the whole time. We did ride the WolfPack, tho...and that was an hour wait--that's pretty much my wait-time limit...)