90 minute reading block - ProTeacher Community

mcdoyle03

90 minute reading block
Old 07-06-2010, 09:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a new teacher who will be teaching 1st grade = ) I know our school uses the Harcourt Trophies reading series that we test on each Friday, but our principal wants us to get away from reading the reading book everyday. I would like to have a Mon-Fri schedule that I could use. Does anyone have any ideas? If so they would be greatly appreciated = )

mcdoyle03 is offline   Reply With Quote

jessicamae3

Old 07-06-2010, 10:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I also use Harcourt and must give tests at end of week, but have jumped in feet first to the Debbie Miller way of teaching reading. I am thrilled with this. It flows. It is developmentally appropriate. The children love reading. Every child improved their reading by getting their hands on hundreds of books!
My schedule:
15 min upon arrival: Pick books for the day, greet one another, attendance
845-900 Basal Reader(Harcourt)
9:00-915 Mini lesson and model with read aloud
(set purpose for reading using mini lesson taught)
9:15-9:50: Reading(buddy read, read alone, listen to reading)
9:50-10:00 Sharing
10:00-10:45
Small Groups:
1. Guided Reading with me
2. Seat work-reading log entry, word work, and Accelerated Reading tests
3. Read Aloud to parent helpers, one another or AR tests

Goodwill has been a treasure trove of joy for my classroom library. I have amassed hundreds and hundreds of books in 6 months time through this store. 39 cents a piece. Plus garage sales. If you have not gotten Debbie Miller's book yet, grab it up. You will be shocked how quickly 90 minutes of just reading goes by!
jessicamae3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jardinera

Old 07-06-2010, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Check out the Sunflower Room for ideas on using Readers' Workshop as a great reading program. It is a super format, and there are tons of ideas on there. Recommended reading: Reading with Meaning by Debbie Miller and Growing Readers by Kathy Collins
Jardinera is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacher76

weekly schedule for Harcourt Trophies
Old 07-06-2010, 08:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have use Trophies in our district. What is your principal's concern about reading it everyday? Is it the kids will be too familiar with the text for the test? My kids don't read the story until Tuesday. Monday we read a decodable book. On Tuesday we read the story and do the comprehension questions throughout the story. Wednesday we reread the story (sometimes whole group, buddy, etc.). Thursday we usually read the story again. Sometimes I would have them read it on their own. We tested the kids on Thursday. On Friday we listened to the story on tape. I know another teacher listened to the story on tape earlier in the week.
Good luck!
Teacher76 is offline   Reply With Quote

MissHoney344

Old 07-08-2010, 09:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Will you be doing guided reading? If so, you could do whole group one day to front load the students with the main selection and vocabulary, etc. then you could do guided reading Tue-Thurs and students could use the Reading book for one center and work on other things at other centers.

MissHoney344 is offline   Reply With Quote