word work/Daily 5 - ProTeacher Community

tuti1414

word work/Daily 5
Old 07-06-2010, 08:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Can someone give me some pointers with word work? How do u manage introducing the words work.....do u take out all activities at once and let the kids choose? or do u introduce them one by one? Should I vary the activities from time to time? I will appreciate some help managing this area...thanks!!!

tuti1414 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinzRae

Old 07-07-2010, 05:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I started out only introducing a couple things at first and then limiting the number of kids that chould choose word work at first. Then I gradually introduced more materials and allowed more kids. I did find it was good to vary the materials ever once in awhile. I usually just added one new thing now and then to renew interest.
LinzRae is offline   Reply With Quote

jcmcfarland

Materials
Old 07-07-2010, 06:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I intorduced materials we had not used before first. For example, for spelling we used magnatic letters and marker boards/markers. So, when I introduced word work, I started out with the kiddos using playdough and wikki sticks. The materials enticed them to choose word work more frequently! I agree with changing up the materials from time to time.. I will also be changing them out!
jcmcfarland is offline   Reply With Quote

mreuter

Drawers
Old 07-07-2010, 06:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My word work consists of three, 3-drawers paper storage units. Each drawer can be removed and taken to the student's work area. I introduce the different drawers over time. I keep the drawers empty unit they procedure for using the materials is introduced. I only changed one or two drawers throughout the year, but did try to add new materials (ex. twistable crayons/pencils) to keep the interest up. All word work is done in a marbled "word work" journal, from word sorts to rainbow words.
mreuter is offline   Reply With Quote

LakeTeacher

Word Work Activities
Old 07-07-2010, 07:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I introduce basic things like magnetic letters, Wikki Stix, playdough, and white boards as a whole class activity at the beginning of the year so that all students are able to at least work with these items. Later, in small group reading, I introduce word games. This gives them a chance to practice with a partner with me right there to help out. It worked really well last year. This way you can also model how to properly set-up and put away the games and pieces with just a few kids. Then you know that everyone was taught properly and they have no excuses!

I add new things about once a month to keep the interest high. I model the new activities like a preview for a movie (a coming attraction in the word work area). They get sooo excited with the new possibilities!

Last edited by LakeTeacher; 07-07-2010 at 07:44 AM.. Reason: added more information
LakeTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

MNPolly

I know it sounds boring but ...
Old 07-07-2010, 12:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I try to keep Word Work the same all year. I found that introducing things mid-year just made more noise (maybe I just didn't spend as much time introducing it as I would in the beginning of the year).
I introduce one new material per lesson while I'm introducing word work during the first two weeks of school. I always start with personal white boards because I have a class set and everyone can practice at once. Then I add in things like the magnet letters and play dough that I have a limited amount of. That way, everyone can still be practicing with white boards while some people try out the new materials. Obviously I rotate people through the different materials throughout the week of directed word work practice.

Last edited by MNPolly; 07-07-2010 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: grammar error
MNPolly is offline   Reply With Quote

tuti1414

Thanks!!!
Old 07-07-2010, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

for clarifying, I'm glad to say that I had the right idea......I already had a lot of activities from centers before, so now I'm in the process of placing them in individual containers. I'm just wondering about using sheets of paper as opposed to notebooks. Any thoughts on this!!
tuti1414 is offline   Reply With Quote

gator2010

?
Old 07-09-2010, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

What did you use playdough or Wiki Sticks for?
gator2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

LakeTeacher

Wikki Stix and Playdough
Old 07-09-2010, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My kids make words with the Wikki Stix by bending them into the shapes of the letters and then spell the words. They use alphabet cookie cutters to make playdough letters, or roll snakes and make letters, and build their words from those.

I like to replace the Wikki Stix with pipe cleaners for something new. Also, the Wikki Stix get gnarly after a lot of use.
LakeTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote