New Teachers

First year kindergarten teacher with questions

>

amandajw86

amandajw86

First year kindergarten teacher with questions
Old 07-08-2010, 11:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello fellow teachers I have some questions for you. I will begin teaching kindergarten this August. These are really general questions, but Kinder is its own world and did my student teaching in 3rd grade. So feed back would be great.

1. Tell me about your centers. When I was in a first grade classroom we did guided reading groups while other kids were at centers.
-How did you teach the kids what to do at centers
-How many weeks in on the school year do you wait to let them work alone?
-For kinder I am thinking having 8 centers and visiting with each gr group twice a week. Suggestions on how I can do that would be great!_how long is your center block? I am thinking 30 minutes for each center. Is that too long?
-For my guided reading groups I want to have a nonreader, medium1, medium2 and a readers group. How many times of week do you meet with each group?

2. Classroom Man. What have you seen that works great for kindergarten what doesn't work in your opinion?

3. Classroom themes. How often do you change up your classroom. Do you have one theme for the entire year or do you change it more often?

SGavin

Kindergarten
Old 07-09-2010, 06:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi Amanda,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Kindergarten! You're right it is a whole different ball game here, but one that I LOVE and will struggle leaving if my principal ever asks me. I'll answer each of your questions as to how I DO it, and hopefully enough people will answer that you can figure out what works best for you.

1) Daily 5, Daily 5, Daily 5!!!! Literacy Centers can be fun to make SOMETIMES but then they become a pain with little kids because you have to change them up constantly, and when you change them all the time there is never enough time to model them! Also, if you still decide to go through with Lit Centers, 30 minutes is far too long. We use to do 20 mins and that was pushing it by a few minutes. 30 minutes with the teacher will be hard for them to sit still and focused, let alone doing independent work for that long AND staying on track.
Daily 5 is like having 5 centers in your room all year that are very low maintenance once you set them up and build their stamina with each. Then you are free to call small groups or even individual students over as need be. The groups can be as short or as long as you need. (check out the Peony room)

2) Responsive Classroom works!!! Its an academic AND social approach to building a classroom community. Last year was my first year doing it and the children made the rules with me, they were problem solving their own peer conflicts, and the best thing??? NO behavior management charts!!!!! WOO HOOO no need to do treasure box at the end of the week... instead they become intrinsically motivated through personal goal setting. However, one thing with out being RC trained that you can do is make everything seem veryyyy exciting! They eat it righttt up

3) The theme in my room?? Organization! hahaha I don't do a theme in my room because then it becomes more about the cute store bought things I used to decorate it and less about the students work. As for changing my room, the boards stay the same because they are interactive all year. I have a Daily 5 board where they sign up for which activities they will do, a CAFE board where we add reading strategies we are working on, a Calendar board, a Math Daily 5 board where they pick which math station they want to go to and which games to play, a Math Strategy board we build during the year, and a library board that shows the procedures for filling up their book bins and how to put the books away.
The responsive classroom way of doing things is if you don't use it, lose it! So if you have something on your walls that you haven't used in 3 weeks, take it down. That's as much changing as I do.
SGavin is offline   Reply With Quote

filehead

congrads
Old 07-11-2010, 10:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

amanda, welcome to the wonderful wold of K! Check out Kindergarten group here on PT, you will get lots of sound advise and receive alot of support throughout this new year. Also use tech to your advantage, google k classrooms for ideas and see teachers in action, explore K teachers websites...soak it all in and decide for yourself what stragies, plans best fit your type of teaching. We will be with you all the way
filehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Kimmi_GradeK

Kimmi_GradeK

Excited but scared
Old 06-03-2011, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I just got a Kindergarten position at the school in my hometown! I am thrilled because it is my first teaching job! On the other end, I am scared out of my mind. I have most exprience with intermidiate grades and have really enjoyed them. I never thought I would ever be in the Kindergarten world. I know I have many people that are willing to help me and the other Kindergarten teacher is very great! I honestly to do not know where to begin! I have never felt so unprepared. I love teaching and I care about all children, so I know I can;t competely crash and burn. I am very overwhelmed but excited for this opportuniy.