Add Vantage Math - ProTeacher Community

eduardo

Add Vantage Math
Old 07-09-2010, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our school is adopting this assessment this year which promotes a 45 minute videotaped assessment to determine a child's mastery of or developing mathematical thinking. Has anyone used this or been trained? Thoughts?

eduardo is offline   Reply With Quote

abcdefgh

abcdefgh

Old 07-09-2010, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

sounds great on paper. it IS a good way to know what each student knows in math but finding things for the other kids to do INDEPENDENTLY during that time is the trick. also, it's hard enough to fit everything in...we had to take away handwriting instruction and some shared reading to kae time for this program....like I said, sounds good on paper but not in practice.

jcmcfarland

Love it!
Old 07-13-2010, 07:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have been trained in both level I and level II of this program, and I love it! My whole school does not use it, so I assessed specific students I knew were struggling to determine where we could improve.... Then, I used the green book (can't remember the name off the top of my head) to do small group instruction with all of my students. I really liked the program, and I felt like it really reinforced the needed counting skills our district math program left out... This coming school year I am going to assess all my students so I can put them into small groups for more apporpriate, differientiated instruction. I am all about doing math workshop (much like readers' workshop) to allow for me to meet with at least 3 groups, hopefully I will have time to meet with all 4. I think the beginning of the year will be stressful while we're trying to assess all the students- but much like the DRA II, the information is necessary to have in order to meet the students' needs.
jcmcfarland is offline   Reply With Quote