Help

Magnolia Room

Ideas for Academic Morning Meetings

>

happygirl444

Ideas for Academic Morning Meetings
Old 07-11-2010, 07:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do you want to share some tips for successfully integrating academics into your Morning Meeting? I'd love to get some fresh strategies for next year! Here are some of the things that work well for me:
  • I use post-its for my Morning Message response and then I use them later in the day as well. If they write book recommendation on post-its during Meeting, I post them on a board and sort them into fiction and non-fiction by the library area for other kids to choose. If we do sums to 10, we might make them into a chart later.
  • I use some of the old language arts and math activities to do as my Activity portion like "Round Robin" retelling using beg, mid, and end in groups of three or "Compound Word Hook-ups" or "Number Grid Race" as a group. Sometimes, I'll do a story where they all have a stick puppet or part to play. They also love presenting poetry in groups!

Mrs. R :)

Aren't you clever???
Old 07-11-2010, 07:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

• I will do an Interactive Math piece on my Morning Message and use it to begin my Math Workshop.
  • I often use some of the "stuff" in the Scott Foresman teacher's editions to create phonics based interactive pieces for my Morning Messages (making words, sorting sound, etc.)

JBVTeach2

Morning Meeting PowerPoint
Old 07-11-2010, 08:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I do a Morning Meeting PowerPoint, I can not take credit for this idea, I got the idea from the amazing Christina's from the Second Grade Teacher Club. She was so sweet to share it with me. I tweaked it over the months and changed the powerpoint theme to go along with the season or holiday that month. I incluede our class schedule, a morning message on what they were to expect during that given day, our monthly word wall word list to practice reading, (this idea came from the fantastic Ms. Winston), I add current social studies and science words and basal anthology words. I change daily one day could be a math activity another day can be a reading strategy, correct a paragraph etc. After my children unpack, while I am taking attendance and lunch count on the computer the children get a white board paddle and sit on the rug waiting for our morning meeting.

smcspadden

Morning Powerpoint
Old 07-11-2010, 09:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am interested in doing a morning poerpoint. Does anyone have any they could post so I can get some ideas?

Shelley123

I try
Old 07-11-2010, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

to make my morning meeting a review of everything we've learned up to that point. We start with a song book. These are great because then even your lowest readers can read those books during Reader's Workshop or free reading time. Then we do a morning message. The message stays the same all week, we change the date with a post it each day and then we work on a different skill each day. We might fix mistakes in the message on Monday, find sight words on Tuesday, circle nouns/verbs/or adj. on Wednesday, find homophones on Thurs. or circle the letters parts,(date, greeting, body, closing) on Friday. Then we do the poem and we'll also practice a skill their. Then we grab our white boards and markers and play a sight word games or we play sight word around the world or hot potato, and then we practice a math skill we've learned previously (story problems, ways to make 10..) and then we do our calendar math. Hope this helps.