guided reading groups 4th grade - ProTeacher Community

littlewoman

guided reading groups 4th grade
Old 07-11-2010, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a 4th grade teacher and need some advice on how to teach reading. I have a 90 minute block and 20 kids. How much time should I spend on the whole group with the basal and how much time is spent with small groups? Please give me ideas on how you schedule your reading. Our school uses Houghton Mifflin with the first story being Akiak. I have workstations in my classroom but am a little confused on how to make it all flow.

littlewoman is offline   Reply With Quote

missvicki77

I'll be interested to see what others say...
Old 07-11-2010, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm moving to 4th grade this year (after having been in 3rd for 2 years). My district also uses HM (so our first story is Akiak).

Any help anyone could give would be GREATLY appreciated. Don't really want to reinvent the wheel.....

Thanks!
missvicki77 is offline   Reply With Quote

rachelmpd

Me three
Old 07-11-2010, 02:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I haven't looked to see what the first story is in the Houghton Mifflin. I have been warned that this group is very low, so guided reading is a must. In primary grades we use the small books for guided reading, do you also use the small books in the upper grades?
rachelmpd is offline   Reply With Quote

crockpotqueen

in 5th
Old 07-11-2010, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have the little books (leveled readers) and I use em'. The trouble is that they don't have levels that are low enough. They are 1 level down at most. I have the upper level kids read in pairs or trios and do
independent while I work more closely w/ everyone else. I create vocab and comprehension activities to go w/ the stories.
crockpotqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

tiger4th

Trade Books
Old 07-11-2010, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I began teaching the lower group in 4th grade last year. Our inclusion teacher comes in for 40 minutes each day, so we have small groups. I borrowed the lower level novels-Horrible Harry series from another teacher and made up a vocab/question packet using EOG style questions for the beginning of the year. Later in the year I stocked up on a few class sets at 1.00 per book from Scholastic. It does come straight out of my pocket, but I now have several sets I can use again next year with my students. An added plus-There are lots of teachers in my building that I can trust with my sets-so we swap off.
SInce I will have the lower group again this coming year, I am waiting to see what I will do. Like you, I am not sure whether to use novels again this year-my group last year was extrememly low and only 20% was expected to pass EOG-instead I had about 58%--nothing to brag about-but better than others expected. OUr schedule was as follows last year--Small group 45 minutes-Spelling 10 (went over the list and did short activities-they had homework assignments-I used the 500 words list and went by patterns for weekly lists. The last 30 -35 minutes were small group reading for AR and finishing up questions from the small group directed reading novels.
On the other hand... high expectations.. I do not know whether they can read from our basal or not so I may assign a weekly story and send notes home for parents to read to their students and have them take a quiz at the end of the week.
We also are required to assign them ClassScape tests and I have to figure out how to get that in as well as spelling!

tiger4th is offline   Reply With Quote

Mathematician

Old 07-11-2010, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am teaching reading this year and will have 90 minutes each day for reading. I am planning to spend 50-60 minutes with the basal, incorporating vocabulary and comprehension skills. Students will participate in literature circles for the other 30-40 minutes.

When I taught reading before, I only had 60 minutes. My reading schedule was as follows:
Monday: Introduce comprehension skill of the week and vocabulary
Tuesday: Review vocabulary and skill, Read through the story(read aloud as a group, small group, or partner read)
Wednesday: Review vocabulary, Review skill, apply skill as we read and discuss the story
Thursday: Review skill of the week and introduce or maintain another skill
Friday: Review skills and vocabulary, summarize story, and take quiz over the reading story.

I'm interested in finding different ideas to implement in my reading classroom.
Mathematician is offline   Reply With Quote

DiamondGirl

Literacy and HM
Old 07-11-2010, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I too use this series for 4th grade. And I also have 90 minutes. On Mondays I spend the entire 90 minutes introducing the skills for the week. My county has provided us with brochures and powerpoints for each story.

On Tuesdays through Fridays I spend 30 minutes whole group and 60 minutes with Guided Reading and Stations. I don't do stations though. I give my students a weekly menu with daily work to be completed at their own pace.

Vocabulary is taught daily with different activities for the weekly words. With spelling I usually put together a quick activity on the smartboard. For Comprehension, I use a brochure.

I didn't creat the powerpoint, so if you PM me I'll email it to you. I don't have any of the brochures for theme 1, sorry.
DiamondGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Ren

Question
Old 07-12-2010, 06:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I use HM as well. Last year I did not do guided reading consistently each week. I really saw a lack of improvement with some students, so I went back to groups each week. I find the leveled readers to be hit or miss. So in the spring of this year I introduced chapter books during guided reading rather than the leveled readers. The students were much more interested and I could still address the weekly skill during my groups.

I also use a menu rather than work stations. My teaching partner and I often use some of the language activities from the anthology for student choices. Our menu idea comes from Laura Candler.

This wiki has been very helpful to me this year. It has some brochures for each story. I am not sure it is the same as Diamond Girl. I sometimes adjust the questions to match our state and district testing.

http://riversideelementaryeastgrade4.wikispaces.com/

I am glad you asked this question.
Ren is offline   Reply With Quote

missvicki77

Any chance you'd share?
Old 07-12-2010, 07:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Do you mind sharing your menus (for examples and some ideas)?

I'd appreciate it!
missvicki77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Creek4

Ren
Old 07-12-2010, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thank you for sharing the wiki. I found some things I could use in my science lessons too!
Creek4 is offline   Reply With Quote

GoldenGirl81

Ren
Old 07-12-2010, 09:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I would also love to see your menus if you don't mind sharing.
GoldenGirl81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ren

work menu sample
Old 07-12-2010, 12:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I don't have any saved on my home computer...they are on a flash drive, that I of course left at school. However here is the work menu I used as a model for mine. It comes from Laura Candler.

http://www.lauracandler.com/filecabi...enusamples.pdf
Ren is offline   Reply With Quote