Math Notes for 5th graders - ProTeacher Community

dsns3712

Math Notes for 5th graders
Old 07-12-2010, 10:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello. I am looking for an effective, organized way to take math notes with my 5th graders. I am debating on making all the math notes and print them out and have students place them in binders or just having students keep an organized notebook. I am a new teacher so I am in need of some structure for note taking. Also, I am thinking about my classroom structure:

1. Problem of the day (In separate math journal)
2. Check homework
3. Lesson
4. Independent work

I only have about 47 minutes of class time. Any advice on classroom organization would be great!

dsns3712 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachindakidz

5th Grade math
Old 07-13-2010, 06:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I like to have students keep a math notebook, where they record teacher notes and examples. A lot of students do not do well with handouts- always misplacing or losing. Students can take their notebooks home to study for tests. Instead of doing a math problem of the day, I like to use something called top 5, where students are given math problems to solve, which focus on the last 5 math skills taught. Generally I allow five -ten minutes for this activity at the beginning of each math lesson, five minutes to solve and five minutes to review the problems. Then I would start teaching the current lesson and allow time for independent work. Good luck in 5th grade
teachindakidz is offline   Reply With Quote
sarah dennis

sarah dennis

math notes
Old 05-08-2012, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

i think that you should print the notes out and paraphrase so your students will understand it more just keep doing what you are doing