Visual & Performing Arts

Gingerbread ornaments from applesauce?

>

Melinda

Melinda

Gingerbread ornaments from applesauce?
Old 11-29-2005, 11:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone made the gingerbread man oranaments with applesauce and cinnamon? I can't remember what else goes in them, but they turn hard and smell good on the tree.

If anyone knows the other ingredient(s) for these, please post.
Thanks!

Found it!

Found it!

Try this...
Old 11-30-2005, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

1 cup cinnamon and 1 cup applesauce and 1 tablespoon white glue.
Roll out using wax paper and cut with cookie cutters. Use straw to make a hanging hole. Let dry about 24 hours. These keep their scent for a few years.

Ms. J

How many...
Old 11-30-2005, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

ornaments does the recipe above make? An approximate number would be great. I have never tried this, but I think I will this year. Can you decorate them or do you usually just leave as is?? Thanks!
Ms. J is offline   Reply With Quote
Melinda

Melinda

I've never made them myself...
Old 12-05-2005, 10:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My student teacher made them once and wants to try with my kids next week.

She decorated them with mini-pompoms, sequins, beads, etc.

She is not here today. I don't know how many that will make. I'm guessing each recipe will only make a few.

felicitysue

21 Ornaments
Old 12-13-2005, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My recipe is 3 cups cinnamon, 2 cups applesauce, 1/2 cup glue. You may need to add a little water to this: it needs to be the consistency of thick cookie dough. Have the children pound out to 1/4 inch thick and use cookie cutters. If you do not have time to let them dry naturally you can stick them in the oven at 275 for 45 minutes x 3. Flip after each 45 minutes. I always do it in conjunction with math lessons on measurement. This made 21 ornaments with a little left over. Merry Christmas and good luck!

felicitysue is offline   Reply With Quote
cheryal

cheryal

Gingerbread ornaments
Old 12-14-2005, 10:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I just made these with my kindergartners. FelicitySue's recipe is the best I've tried. I tried one with 1/2 c cinnamon, 1/2 c applesauce and 2 T glue, but they were sticky and gooey. Felicitysue's recipe made them nice and firm, the dough was easy to roll out and they look really nice. I found that sprinkling some cinnamon on the table and top of the dough helped as I was rolling it out. I also used a tiny bit of water, but not much as I was patting the dough into a ball before rolling it out. Thanks for the recipe, Felicity. It made a HUGE difference!
Melinda

Melinda

Our results:
Old 12-15-2005, 10:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We tried the original recipe. It made about 16 thin ornaments. I think we made ours a little too thin. They took two complete days to dry. A few of them cracked.

Next time, we'll try the 3-cup recipe and bake them.
Joyzie

Joyzie

Thanks
Old 11-28-2007, 10:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks to all who posted this recipe, I work in a Domstic violence Shelter and we have several children living there with their moms. Several of our children have been beaten and battered as well. This project made a wonderful new holiday memory for their family.
Craftmom

Craftmom

Applesauce Gingerbread Men
Old 12-07-2007, 10:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

This is a pretty easy recipe it makes about 7 Gingerbread boys or girls.
3/4 cup applesauce
1 packet of unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup cinnamon
1/4 cup cornstarch
3 Tablespoons ground cloves

In a saucepan mix the applesauce with the unflavored gelatin. Let sit for 3 minutes. Then heat to a simmer. In a mixing bowl, mix the cinnamon, cornstarch, and ground cloves. After the applesauce mixture comes to a simmer add it to the mixing bowl of dry ingredients. Mix and roll out to 1/4" and use cookie cutters. Don't forget to put a hole to hang them from. Let dry for a day or so and decorate. Hope I have helped. Enjoy!
joy777

joy777

raised gingerbread
Old 10-29-2009, 11:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Does anyone have a recipe for the ornaments with baking soda or something that would make them raise alittle when you bake them so they would look more like a puffy cookie?

tjohn96

sparkle
Old 12-15-2012, 06:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I add glitter, too! I roll it out and let the kids choose a cookie cutter. I haven't had a lot of luck with getting stuff to "stick" to the ornaments once they have dried.
tjohn96 is offline   Reply With Quote