RW readers notebooks in grade 1????? - ProTeacher Community

Last Chance to Enter!

PlainJayne

RW readers notebooks in grade 1?????
Old 07-14-2010, 07:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So...I am tackling RW this year in first grade! SO EXCITED!!!!! I just have a quick question though....should I have students using a "reader's notebook / response log?" I don't necessarily feel that we have to be recording everything but I was just curious to know if there was some kind of "accountability" that you use for gr. 1 or if you mostly use discussion & activities to forward the thinking. Thanks!

BRONX

notebooks
Old 07-14-2010, 08:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In first grade my class used notebooks. I picked one comprehension skill for the week and introduced on Monday. I modeled the reader response that went with the strategy and gave them until Friday to complete it. (They would glue it into their notebook.) Each morning during our read aloud I modeled a bit more and used that day's book. On Friday we did an all share and the kids sat in a circle and shared their reader response.

The students had a general list in the front of their notebook to respond to as they finished other books. They also could respond using any reader response we did in the past.

HTH

jessicamae3

Reading Log
Old 07-14-2010, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

As part of the seatwork rotation of small groups, while I was doing guided reading, my first grade class was doing a reading log. I figured they had read for 45 minutes after the mini lesson, they had best have read a book they could record in their reading log! I so needed them to be accountable for that amount of time. I have also used rubrics and checklists for accountability.
The entry included the following:
Date
Title and underlined
Author
"This book is about..." They could write and they could illustrate if they choose. There are other ways you can have them journal about the books read. I simply chose this.

I told them I was grading it everyday. If I didn't my class just would ignore the request to complete the activity.
I did not grade it everyday, maybe 5 times the whole semester and after they had the concept down! But I still put a grade on each one.
I used the time to review and model with them. It took only a few minutes and I would look over it before we left for lunch.
They would fix any errors and then I would put the grade on it!
10 points total.

As well, it gave the children the opportunity to put their post it notes somewhere!!!!
I gave extra credit for adding their thinking/learning they prepared while they were reading after the mini lesson about the comprehension skill I had taught during the mini lesson.
Does that make sense?
Anyone else want to tell me what you do with their post it notes after they have completed the reading?
Putting them in the reading log is the best place I could find for them...otherwise it was recycling tub.

Tapnstitch

I teach 1st/2nd multiage
Old 07-15-2010, 08:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

and I start the year by doing a whole class "notebook" to model. Then I begin having them keep a reading record of different genres they read each day. They write the book titles down each day. They color in green for non-fiction, blue for poetry and red for fiction next to the titles. The aim is to read for their reading record to have all colors rpresneted by the ned of the week. Then I go to having them record responses like text-to text connections and so on based on read alouds. Then they begin doing their own reponses based on personal reading. It is a process and takes a while to start but the modeling and shared reponses at first helps.

ginadoo

reader's notebook
Old 07-15-2010, 10:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I teach first too and have decided I want my kiddos to have a reader's notebook. They already have a poetry notebook in a three ring binder and I thought I would add tabs to separate the poetry notebook from the reading notebook. I want them to have a record of the Good Fit book levels they are reading along with tools like an alphabet chart, vowel chart, blend and digraph chart, and perhaps a "goals/strategies" chart. Still a work in progress.

teacher035

Reading Journal...
Old 08-12-2010, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I use a composition notebook as a reading journal. As I teach RW, I teach them different things they can do in their reading journal, and we keep a running chart. First I teach them to write the date and title of the book they read at the top of the page. Then I teach them to draw a picture of their favorite part, and write a sentence about it.

As we add more things to the chart, the children are allowed to choose one thing from the chart, and write about that (always putting the date and title at the top of the page).

By the end of the year, the list looks something like this:

What Can I Do in My Reading Journal?
Favorite Part
Text-to-Self Connections
Text-to-Text Connections
Text-to-World Connections
Make a Character Map
Make a Venn Diagram to compare two characters
Make a Venn Diagram to compare two books
Write Questions you have for the author
Write predictions you have for the next part
List words that you need to look up and what you think they mean
Draw a Mental Image of something you read, and write a few sentences describing it

Tess

RW Notebooks
Old 09-12-2010, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I started this in my Grade 1 class last year and it really helped them to be accountable during their independent reading time.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Reading Log home and school.doc (48.0 KB, 408 views)