Any 5th grade teachers from Missouri - MAP questions - ProTeacher Community

Last Chance to Enter!

ellie523

Any 5th grade teachers from Missouri - MAP questions
Old 07-14-2010, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am transitioning from a 2nd grade classroom to 5th grade. Since my recent experience is with a grade that does not take the MAP test, I was looking for some insights to the 5th grade MAP. I checked DESE's website for released items, but I could only find one from 2006. It seemed to me that the 04 and 05 released items were all 3rd grade. Most frustratingly, the 5th grade example did not include any writing or performance event. I particularly wanted to wrap my mind around writing expectations in 5th grade as I start planning out my Writer's Workshop units.

Am I looking in the wrong place? Any advice you can give me or resources to recommend?

ellie523 is offline   Reply With Quote

ZenTeach

Ia map
Old 07-14-2010, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We do MAP testing in IA- The MAP for us consists of testing only Math and Reading. The new section can include Science.

We test 3 times a year for Reading and Math. I really like this assessment because it is so individualized and provides us with great data.
ZenTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

jvar87

Map
Old 07-16-2010, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Zenteach, I think the OP is talking about a different kind of map test. I do map testing as well three times a year, but I think the acronym for the Missouri state test is MAP. To the OP - you may want to reword your title, it is a little confusing for those of us who do the other MAP (measures of academic progress?) testing several times a year.
jvar87 is offline   Reply With Quote

fishgirl

MO teacher
Old 07-16-2010, 08:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am a fifth grade teacher in Missouri. The DESE website's released items are pretty much what the test looks like. There hasn't been much change since 2006. As far as the writing expectations...the students are expected to write complete answers in the communication arts portion of the test. If you look at the scoring guide related to the released items, you will see that it says the students have to give a response and details from the text to support their answers. That's something we focus on all year long...not just giving their answer, but telling why they chose that answer. The performance event for communication arts is usually a friendly letter or a journal entry.

If you are using Writer's Workshop, I am pretty sure the scoring guide associated with that program closely matches what is expected on the MAP. If you look at the archived Elementary Writing Prompts it will give you an example of a response which earned all 4 points and an explaination as to why it did.

Another state to look at for good released items similar to Missouri's is Florida. http://fcat.fldoe.org/fcatrelease.asp
fishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

ShaunM

Are these the NWEA MAP tests?
Old 07-16-2010, 09:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Ellie are the tests you are talking about MAP tests from NWEA or your state tests like jvar87 stated? If it is the first, our district has been doing those for 10 years or more and Zenteacher is correct.

ShaunM is offline   Reply With Quote