Daily 5 with Treasures (Long sorry!) - ProTeacher Community

polkadot29

Daily 5 with Treasures (Long sorry!)
Old 07-17-2010, 10:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm sorry if something like this has been asked before. Please help!

I have purchased and read both the D5 and CAFE books. I'm really excited to start D5 in my 2nd grade class next year! I also need to incorporate our reading series: Treasures. I'm also required to teach a writing workshop. Does anyone else do this? Can you give me some advice or point me in the direction of some good websites?

Here is how I am thinking of incorporating D5 and Cafe:

My school has a 30 minute Literacy Block section where we have extra resource teachers that come into the rooms. All the 2nd graders are divided into reading level books and get 30 minutes of small group instruction on their text level, all at the same time. No centers/D5 are needed at that time. So, I'm thinking of using some of the CAFE strategies for teaching comprehension then.

Then, I teach the Treasures story of the week. We do the lesson whole group, introducing the vocabulary, modeling comprehension, etc. about 30 minutes a day.

Then, I would teach writing. Introducing a topic on Monday and working through the writing process during the week. Students are typically done publishing by Friday. This is about a 30 min lesson daily.

Then, I was thinking of having a D5 round, where I would be pulling students in small groups to assess, conference on writing, and do some of the RTI interventions we are required to do. Possibly eliminating writing as a choice and having a D4 board.

I'm wondering if it will work, only getting one round a day? I LOVE the ideas in the D5 book, I'm just not sure how to get it to work with my district requirements.

How do you incorporate D5 with the Treasures series? Help! I need ideas!

polkadot29 is offline   Reply With Quote

shaunarae2

Old 07-17-2010, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach kinder and am going to get training on Treasures next week, but I would definitely visit Mrs. Vensko's website. She is a 2nd grade teacher doing both reading and writing workshops, Daily 5 and CAFE and Treasures. Be sure to look at her CAFE menu. I love it. She even implemented the beanie baby strategies there too. Good luck.

http://www.teacherweb.com/FL/LaurelH...nsko/ap10.aspx
shaunarae2 is offline   Reply With Quote

SnackNapRead

Treasures and D5/Cafe
Old 07-17-2010, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach 5th, but I use D5 and Cafe along with Treasures and it fits perfectly. Here's what my schedule looks like:

Bell Work (My students do their first round of D5 as bell work - they come in, unpack, and make their selection.)
30 minutes Shared Reading (I do the Treasures story along with a Cafe lesson that matches the strategy or skill. I don't do the mini lessons between rounds like the Sisters do in the book because admin wants the Shared Reading time together)
60 minutes Guided Reading/Individual Conferences (Based on the day - MWF are guided reading groups and TR are individual conferences - I do 3 twenty minute rounds. While I am working with students, the others are doing D5 rounds)
30 minutes RTI (This is my last D5 round for the day and while students are working, I pull Strategy Groups)

I used the FCAT/Treasures pdf on our district's website to align the Cafe lessons with each Treasures story. Basically, I just take a few moments before the story to discuss the strategy and post it on our Cafe board and then refer to it constantly after that.

I also stretch the Treasures sections out to 7 days. I have a plan in .pdf that shows what I do each day that I can post once I get home.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 7 Day Unit Planner.pdf (29.8 KB, 807 views)

Last edited by SnackNapRead; 07-17-2010 at 02:41 PM..
SnackNapRead is offline   Reply With Quote

SuzyM

Snacknapread
Old 07-17-2010, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I like your schedule! It sounds great. Did you do this last year? Any problems? I teach 4th grade. Your plan looks simple yet organized. Thanks for posting.
SuzyM is offline   Reply With Quote

SnackNapRead

SuzyM
Old 07-17-2010, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It was a little altered last year, but the main idea was the same. I just edited my last post to include my 7 day plan. Hope it helps!

SnackNapRead is offline   Reply With Quote

applesauce88

I used Treasures and D5 last year
Old 07-18-2010, 07:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

and found they worked great together. I had 4 rounds of D5 and taught the comprehension strategy, reading strategy, and phonics/word work skill during each mini lesson. It worked out great. I did a Writer's Workshop for my 4th round, however we all wrote at the same time. We had RtI small group time each day and that's when I used the leveled readers.

I didn't start D5 until October last year. I am wondering how to handle the beginning of the year. Treasures starts with a 3 week smart start review. We did this last year, but it did seem a little boring/easy for most. However, I think a strong review is important and it really comes down to what each class needs. Do you follow the launching plans suggested in the d5/Cafe book and do smart start separately? Or somehow incorporate smart start into the mini lessons? I'd love to hear from anyone who's done it!
applesauce88 is offline   Reply With Quote

teach1986

2nd grade D5, CAFE and Treasures
Old 07-18-2010, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I did all four last year. It was my first year doing D5 and CAFE. I did two rounds of D5 each morning. If we missed, the kids begged for it. I also did about an hour of Treasures including my word wall, some word work, the reading skill and grammar, part of the story. My colleague next door saved Treasures for the end of the day. If she didn't finish a story during the week, she carried it over. I did that a couple of times too but didn't like it. I felt it threw things off. (For word work during Treasures I used: analogies, word ladders, Phonics Month By Month, word wall chants, multimeaning words worksheets, etc...)
I have a focus wall and a CAFE wall. I have a word wall. My writer's workshop is done separately but many times is tied in to what we are doing in the content area or goes with our story in Treasures. In D5 the work on writing has no instruction. I consider it "free" writing so my instruction and workshop is at a different time.
The small books that are levelled that go with Treasures were added to the kids book boxes each week. Sometimes I would use those little books during my one-on-one or small group instruction with CAFE strategies.
Hope that hepled and didn't confuse you even more
teach1986 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lettinglooseb

Writing Process
Old 12-14-2011, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have a question about Treasures which my school will switch to next year. I am an Opencourt teacher and have always found the writing part of OC very helpful because of the 6+1 traits it teaches. I have looked everywhere online to see if treasures includes a writing process and am starting to conclude that there is no writing process taught. If anyone one knows otherwise can you please guide me to a helpful mcmillan site.

thanks!

I don't know to much of this curriculum, hope its good.
Lettinglooseb is offline   Reply With Quote

TchrMary

Treasures
Old 06-18-2012, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Treasures does include a writing component each week. There's a prompt along with a "kid written" example in the students' book, along with a list of the 6 traits -- with one being focussed on each week. The TG uses a writer's workshop-style for teaching the piece of writing. It's broken down into what you can teach each day. I think you'll like Treasures. There are tons of additional activities and ideas.
TchrMary is offline   Reply With Quote

beachbumteach

website
Old 06-20-2012, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Yes, I used Daily 5/CAFE along with Treasures for the past four years and it works out just perfectly! If you click on my name (someone suggested my website), you can learn how I mesh the two together. Of course, each year I've changed things around a bit to make it work even better. My students practiced reading the story of the week (in the basal) during Read to Self, Read to Someone and even Listen to Reading on the computer. They used their spelling and vocabulary words for Word Work. I did a writing workshop completely seperate from Daily 5, but if they wanted to finish a writing piece from WW, they could choose to do that for Work on Writing. My students had a lot of choice!! Take a look at my website and hopefully you can get some more info that you are needing. Email me on here if you have any questions. I'm in the middle of a long distance move, but I'll do my best to help you out. I love Daily 5!!! Best of luck to you!!
beachbumteach is offline   Reply With Quote
g8rtchr
Old 09-16-2012, 09:34 AM
This message has been deleted by g8rtchr. Reason: misspelling

g8rtchr

Has your website moved?
Old 09-16-2012, 09:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Hi Beachbumteach - I went online to check out your site because it sounds like you have a good grasp how to juggle things... but it is expired - did you move elsewhere? Would you provide the new link? Thank you!
g8rtchr is offline   Reply With Quote

RAB

Old 04-21-2014, 01:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Thank you for the ideas!
RAB is offline   Reply With Quote