Communication Folders - ProTeacher Community

right_25

Communication Folders
Old 07-18-2010, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do you have communication folder that go home and are returned to school everyday? We have thursday folders the schools sends home but I was thinking about classroom communication folders.

right_25 is offline   Reply With Quote

luvteachingK

B.E.E Binders
Old 07-18-2010, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I personally don't use the B.E.E binders or M.O.O.S.E binders, etc but you can find out a lot about them on PT or just seaching the internet...it seems to work very well.

I have a communication folder that is labeled on the inside. On the right hand side it says Keep at Home and the left hand side it says Return to School...I've done this for a while now and it seems to work.
luvteachingK is offline   Reply With Quote
Tatha
Old 07-18-2010, 06:48 PM
This message has been deleted by Tatha.

motherduck92

Daily folders
Old 07-18-2010, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We use communication folders called Nikki folders. They come in a variety of colors and are the pocket type. One side is a "Keep at Home" and one side is labeled with "Return to School". These are used as Parent-Teacher communication folders every day, and are made of a heavy plastic. Even in kindergarten, they have held up very well. At our school, each grade level uses a different color.
motherduck92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tatha

student planners
Old 07-18-2010, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My school purchases a student planner for every student. Daily communication is logged in this. As for daily homework assignments and/or other items that need to go home, students have a daily take home folder (i.e. Boomerang Folder) they bring back and forth to school. The planner and this folder are items students are responsible for having on a daily basis.
Tatha is offline   Reply With Quote

right_25

Old 07-18-2010, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

So if your school did not provide you with a folder or planner for each child would you have a communication folder? I was interested because half of the time when kids bring lunch money or whatever, they lose it in their backpack or just don't clean it out.

right_25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tatha

I guess...
Old 07-18-2010, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm unsure what your purpose is in using the communication folder. Is it primarily to communicate random items such as lost lunch money? I guess if I was not provided with a folder and planner (but I'm assuming you are provided with a Thursday Folder since you referenced it in your earlier post) that I would send home a weekly report in the Thursday folder with any of these random notes communicated by me and then signed by the parent. Anything extremely pressing, I would phone/email the family.
Tatha is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2chat

Old 07-18-2010, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I use a communication folder that is sent home daily. I buy the two pocket plastic ones and label each pocket (left at home and bring right back). It helps to have somewhere to put all the notices that go home, especially with little guys who just stuff it in their back pack. This makes it easier for parents to find things without searching.
luv2chat is offline   Reply With Quote

Kdgcool

Daily Communication Folders
Old 07-19-2010, 04:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am in the process of getting mine ready for school. I send them home the first day. I buy the poly two pocket with 3 prongs. I bought all one color and I label them Keep at Home on one pocket, and Return to school on the other. I also include a zipper pouch attached with three prongs so that money and notes can be easily found. Each day the children have four jobs (responsibilities), they hang up their back packs, choose their lunch and place their name stick in the appropriate choice cup, sign in, and put their daily folder in the basket for folders. I begin this day one. I explain this to the parents on Open House night prior to school beginning. When I have habitual "forgetters" I will occasionally call out "who brought their folders to school today" and reward those for being responsible with a bulldog ticket. I do this activity at random, but it really motivates the repeat forgetters. My goal with the Daily Folders is to always keep the communication open between parent and teacher. I also include a copy of our Daily Schedule in a clear pocket protector, and if I have the need for a Daily Discipline report I have that in there too. I haven't had the need for a class discipline report for a few years now, but I used the ABC's of My Day from Donna Whyte, a few years ago, when I had a doozie of a class! I hope this helps!
Kdgcool is offline   Reply With Quote

momtogracie

Communication Folder - YES!
Old 07-19-2010, 04:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Each student has one! They are all a bright yellow color. It is labeled on the front as such. The child's name goes down on the bottom right cover. The inside pockets are labeled "Return to School" and "Keep at Home." Information is always going home from the office daily - ie: newletters, local community information, etc... Plus I send home items as well. I also add a sheet protector and a supply of loose leaf paper to the prong fasteners in the middle. This stays there all year. The sheet protector is labeled/and is to hold money from home - lunch/field trips/etc. (It seems to fall out of the pockets of the folders somehow -and I find it later on the floor of the classroom.) The paper is for teacher/parent to write notes as needed. It also serves as a documented communication between us. I do make phone calls too - some things are best taken care of with a call home rather than a note in the Communication Folder. I have used this system for 7 years and it is wonderful. Good Luck!
momtogracie is offline   Reply With Quote

pianowoman41

I use a poly envelope--paper size. I tried
Old 07-19-2010, 05:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

the bee or moose books, and the binders were too big for most backpacks. The envelopes are sent home the first day with a letter explaining their use. One pocket, one zipper seal bag for money and notes--that's it. The envelopes fit into any size backpack, and each morning--first thing, kids put them in my collection basket. After school has been going for a while, I have two little helpers to check all folders for notes or money, but it really doesn't take long to peek in all of them before lunch count is due. At the end of the day I have kids to collect their papers from mailboxes and stuff their envelopes, then pack in backpacks to go home. I do not have an aide for 20+ kids and this works for me. The bee or moose binders are great, but some of ours have had broken parts or have been lost because of the size. The two pocket poly folders sound great too. The envelopes I use have a snap or a string to keep contents inside.
pianowoman41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Originalkat

Old 07-19-2010, 07:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I also use a 2-pocket folder with a "Keep at Home" and "Return to School" pocket. It works wonderfully because the parents always know where to look for things and where to put things to send to school. The kids all know the first thing they do in the morning is put their purple folder in the basket.
Originalkat is offline   Reply With Quote

Txteach13

Old 07-19-2010, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Chewiefairy, I love your folders! Thanks for sharing!
Txteach13 is offline   Reply With Quote

tchrgirl

Friday Folder but everyday!
Old 07-19-2010, 09:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Our school uses Friday Folders just like most schools. Ours are plastic and are labeled "bring back to school" and "leave at home." All of the other grades just use them on Fridays but in Kinder we send them home everyday. Inside is our behavior sheet that goes on the "bring back" side. There is also a ziploc that moms can put lunch $$ in. My aide takes care of these folders daily. It's simple and works well!
tchrgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

SueHue

No daily folders
Old 07-19-2010, 09:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

There is no way we could manage a daily folder unless we had volunteers in the classroom each day - we teach 1/2 k and don't have any breaks once our students arrive (we do lunch and recess duty every day). There would be no way to empty/fill them before the students left at the end of the day. Our communication folders go home on Wed., and it seems to work just fine.

Our homework folders go home on Monday. If for some reason we need to send anything home and it's not close to Wed., we save it to put in the Mon. homework folders. A lot of times, the office/PTA copies something and forgets about our K schedule (we get them AFTER the AM classes have already gone home), so it's great to have the Mon. homework folder.
SueHue is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinder Lover

Ditto
Old 07-19-2010, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I do the same thing except I put the blue plastic folders on the students' supply list at the beginning of the year!!! This cuts down on what I have to purchase. I would not do without a "Take Home Folder"
Kinder Lover is offline   Reply With Quote