Help

First Grade

Daily 5 and taking 1 month to introduce

>

bookcase

Daily 5 and taking 1 month to introduce
Old 07-19-2010, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was wondering to those of you who have used the Daily 5. Did you follow the month long introduction to the Daily 5. I am just really planning on using Read to Self, Read to Someone, Listening Center to start off with. I was planning on starting a story the 2nd week of school not sure if I really need to take the entire month to introduce the Daily 5. Any Suggestions?

bookcase is offline   Reply With Quote

LinzRae

Go Slow!
Old 07-19-2010, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You absolutley do need to take the time at the beginning. I would even say sometimes I've taken longer than a month to get it fully up and running. I guess the important thing to remember is that you need to not rush your class. If they are truly building stamina quickly and you feel you can move a little faster, great. But if you move too fast then you will pay for it all year long! I remember feeling like it was taking far too long to implement at first, but you will more than make up for it in the long run.
LinzRae is offline   Reply With Quote

krisd26

Take your time...
Old 07-19-2010, 11:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I began using the Daily 5 last year. The overall structure was not exactly how the sisters set it up, but like you are planning to do, I began with Read to Self, Read to Someone and Listen to Reading. I completed the launch in 25 days (as suggested). Before the start of the year, I had planned on shortening the launch, but once I got going I knew my students needed the time. Some of my colleagues took a week longer than I did!
krisd26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tea"cheer"

Old 07-19-2010, 11:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

As the others have said, definitely take your time. I believe the most crucial part of implementing D5 is the acceptance that it is not a quick process and it will at times (during the launching) be very frustrating. However, if you take your time and are really patient with doing the process correctly, the rest of the school year will be so absolutely amazing.

By saying that you want to "start a story," does that mean a story in your basal? If so, you can still fit that in. I recall thinking that I couldn't do any "normal" curriculum when implementing D5 for the first time. You definitely can, the time is just broke up a bit due to building of stamina. That being said, I think the kids really need to switch things up at the beginning of the year anyway.

Good luck to you!
Tea"cheer" is offline   Reply With Quote

bookcase

Daily 5 and Thanks
Old 07-19-2010, 12:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks so much for your advice. I guess I will redo my lessons to allow ample time for the students to get started with the Daily 5. I guess after you introduce the Read to Self, Read to Someone, and Listen to Reading, you are really just reminding them of the I-charts and building stamina. Again thanks for the advice. No one else in my school is doing this so I was just a little stressed about taking so much time to have them practice, but I am sure I can still fit this in.

Thanks

bookcase is offline   Reply With Quote

cub005

Old 07-19-2010, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I started D5 in October so I am looking forward to beginning it at the beginning of the year. I usually take til October to finish all routines and assessments etc.... We begin at the end of August. I may have to take longer since I am new to beginning D5 at the start of the year. Here is my question though. If I am building their stamina and we get to three minutes or however many minutes, what activities or things do you do after that short time is up? I don't have my book with my right now so I don't know if they suggest something. At the beginning of the year I have alot of activities planned because they are very dependent on me so I need ideas on what activities to do with them after building their stamina. Hope this makes sense. Any ideas would greatly be appreciated.
cub005 is offline   Reply With Quote