setting up classroom - ProTeacher Community

mom2madcam

setting up classroom
Old 07-23-2010, 05:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do you all have some good ideas for setting up a self-contained classroom? In the past I have taught resource so I have had students in and out. This year I will have students with me mostly all day and I would love some ideas. I will be for a K-3 group.

Thanks!
Angela

mom2madcam is offline   Reply With Quote

pattidteach

Old 07-23-2010, 05:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Angela,
I teach a physically handicapped, self-contained classroom of third graders. I am taking alot of these ideas to incorporate in my classroom. I will do morning meetings, math, writing , reading, science and social studies. Do you have to follow a curriculum?
pattidteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 07-23-2010, 05:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

you mean physical layout or set up running the classroom?

I like to have a little library/reading corner, another place for computers, maybe a round or kidney table for small groups. Arrange desks in groups....if you think the kids will get along.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

kshaw

What I do. . .
Old 07-23-2010, 06:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I recently finished my first year in a self-contained K-5 classroom. Not having a lot of experience in this area, I set my classroom up much like I would have set up a general ed. classroom. My classroom set-up changed throughout the year, but this is what I plan to do this year.

sensory room - I have one student who is autistic (high functioning, but non-verbal and has lots of sensory issues). I have created an area for him in a large storage closet. (it sounds bad, but it really is a nice little space for him) In this "room" I have placed a rice table (which I sometimes put moon sand, colored pasta, colored rice, corn. . .into), a shelf with puzzles and sensory materials, a desk and chair, a laptop computer, and beanbag chairs. I am hoping to get money to purchase additional materials for this room. This will be where my student goes when he becomes over-stimulated by our main classroom area and where he will be rewarded with those activities he loves for completing requested tasks.

my office - I am very fortunate to have a small room that serves many functions. In this room, I have my desk, file cabinet and bookshelves with teacher books and such. This is where I do all of my planning as well as the large amount of paperwork that is required. I would highly suggest creating a space that you can retreat to when you need to work on things (even if you need to build a "room" with bookshelves / cabinets) I also use this room for small group and individual instruction. When I pull reading groups, we go to this area to work. My assistants then supervise the other children as they participate in louder activities.

reading nook - I have an area for reading which includes bookshelves with books and my students' book boxes (part of the Daily 5 program). It would be nice to have seating in this area in the form of beanbags (vinyl is better as cloth can spread head lice) or small chairs.

listening center - This area is one of my students' favorite choices. I have a CD player, headphone, and books on tape / CD.

Daily 5/ Cafe board - One of my bulletin boards is rather large and will display my daily 5 choice board and my CAFE board (for reading strategies)

Math board - I will be doing guided math with my students this year, so I plan to have a math board which will include math vocab. and our math meeting materials (calendar, estimation station, show a number different ways, time, money. . .)

Computers - I have a computer that students may use to access various educational websites.

Student Desks - Each of my students have a desk. I have my desks in rows because my students are working on such varied levels.

Paperwork Area - You may want to have a place designated for students to turn in planners, notes, lunch money. . . I have an additional teacher desk in my room that serves this purpose. It also gives my assistants a place to sit and work if they need to (not that they really ever have time).

Table - I have a table for small group work as well as breakfast / parties in our room.

Math Manipulatives / Reading Materials - I would suggest having shelves to store these items where they are available to students.

Student Work Boxes - I have tubs for each child which are stored above the coat rack. In these boxes students store unfinished work and reading / math materials. When I pull small groups / individuals into my office to work, I ask them to bring their box with them. This keeps everything together and saves a lot of time.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me or post them here.
kshaw is offline   Reply With Quote

grace slick

classroom set up
Old 07-23-2010, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have run a self-contained room, and what I found was I first decided what I needed to have in the room. Teacher desk, 2 teacher small group area ( if you are going to have an aide) student desks (can be seperate or arranged in a group), computer, library area and in my case a carpeted area where students have a sensory break/play. My the layout of the room always depends on the size. I map it out on my board before arrange things because I hate moving furniture. Also, remember one of your group areas needs to be by your board.

grace slick is offline   Reply With Quote

nessiej

designing your space
Old 07-25-2010, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I teach K-3 in a self-contained setting with students who have moderate disabilities. I use many of the centers already mentioned, each group of students varies from year to year. Last year was the first time I did away with my student desks and used only tables. Each class was allowed about 5 tables and with 7-8 student desks, well the room was too crowded. It worked great one table was for morning meeting, one double for snacks and writing, etc. You will need to plan for the child that needs to be removed from the group at times. If you have a SmartBoard many of your activities will be centered around this. A book corner , toys, or kitchen area( they are still kids and need to learn how to play with toys ) Fine motor area, and space for file folder games are just a few. I am also apt to change my centers depending on the group and revamp if they don't seem to like some of the activities. Good Luck
nessiej is offline   Reply With Quote