Baby-Sitter Club Book.. Too Mature? - ProTeacher Community

mrs_mar

Baby-Sitter Club Book.. Too Mature?
Old 07-24-2010, 02:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi! I went to a garage sale and found A LOT of baby-sitter club books (almost 100) for a VERY low price. I had to buy them

I was wondering... do you think these books are too mature for third grade? I will be teaching gifted students, so I do know that they'll be able to read them. I looked online and they are the end of third grade level and up to the fifth grade level.

Please share your thoughts.

mrs_mar is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 07-24-2010, 02:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

for mature third graders, no I don't think it's too old...as you said they are gifted etc...I usually get my third graders to read the Babysitters Little Sisters series though....by the middle/end of the year I have seen some kids read the Babysitters Club books, though..... I would think at the beginning of the year when they are more like 2nd graders, its too mature in a regular classroom......but later on/midway through the year it is not....

Of course my students usually start out with picture books and easy easy chapter books, by tthe end of the year they have graduated to chapter books though

I was addicted to this series by the way.....I read probably 300 of them! They are great books, and a great way to hook kids.
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote

mrs_mar

Old 07-24-2010, 02:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

i loved them too i was addicted! and thought that this would be a good way to get them hooked, but i think it's a good idea like you said to take them out maybe in january.... it would also be a good way to bring attention back to our classroom library

dee

They're fine
Old 07-24-2010, 03:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Frankly, I would be thrilled if MORE of our students read these type of books. Many parents get their kids Twilight (yes- in 3rd grade) and okay, the kid can READ the words, but the material is way way too old for them.
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

KidzRock

BSC Little sister
Old 07-24-2010, 03:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have a bunch of the Babysitters Club Little Sister series. I'm looking forward to bringing them out this year. (This is my first year in 3rd grade)

I noticed at Borders that they are bringing BSC back.

KidzRock is offline   Reply With Quote

Jess

Old 07-24-2010, 05:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I taught second grade last year and some of my higher kids started reading the BSC books towards the end of the year. I also loved reading the books when I was growing up... I couldn't wait to go to the store and buy the newest one!

I think gifted 3rd graders could definitely handle the books.
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote

funteacher7

Old 07-24-2010, 05:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I love these books! I think it's fine for gifted 3rd graders and in a regular classroom, towards the middle and end of the year. I just bought the 1st three books from Scholastic. The covers are redone to attract new readers. I also just got The Summer Before (A prequel to the series) because I wanted to read it!
funteacher7 is offline   Reply With Quote

beagles2

Babysitters Books
Old 07-24-2010, 06:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I did the same thing, came across a bunch at a garage sale and now have a huge selection of these, but I've noticed that no one even looks at them. I was thinking I'd book talk them this year.
beagles2 is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

books
Old 07-24-2010, 06:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I used to have a whole bunch of that series, but I guess I never had the right kids for them. I remember one girl reading them when I taught 5th grade and that was about it. I tried them with 4th and 3rd grades, and they just never went over well. I still have a few of the series left, but I gave the rest away since they were taking up space on my shelves.

I hope you have better luck with them!
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

MsTeach

StarrySky--What Picture Books?
Old 07-24-2010, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Starrysky--I was so glad to hear some of your kids are reading picture books at the beginning. I am moving up from 2nd to 3rd and I have to say I was getting a little teary-eyed this week as I was sorting books deciding what to pack. I packed all of my Laura Numeroff If You Give a Mouse...along with the matching stuffed animals; No, David; and Arthur. What picture books do they like? Some books I will keep close by for mentor texts....but I have 25 bins of picture books!! It's like asking me to pick my favorite child!
MsTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

mockingbird88

Old 07-24-2010, 06:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I think it really depends on the students you have in your classroom. Two years ago, I had a group that read them all of the time, last year the group would not touch them. I think they would be good for gifted students to read.
mockingbird88 is offline   Reply With Quote

italeonmc

my students
Old 07-24-2010, 06:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

didn't take to them surprisingly. I had 2 students who read at Level V last year and a handful at Levels Q,R & S, yet none of them ever picked up a BSC book.
italeonmc is offline   Reply With Quote

KAS112

Picture books
Old 07-24-2010, 07:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Don't pack away your picture books, the kids still love them! I kept all my Laura Numeroff out, as well as Mo Willems, Patricia Polaco (sp?), Cynthia Rylant, etc. My kids were required to have a picture book in their book box, it really helps when you are working on a writing skill or looking for grammar examples. I use picture books for read alouds, as well as chapter books. The kids still love them, we would vote on books for read alouds (I would have a couple that would suit my goals) and sometimes I would add in take a break and read picture books (just pick ones that meet what you are teaching)- and that always won. I think they value what you value, I love picture books and let them know it so they didn't see it as "babyish".

As far as Babysitters Club, I had them out for 2 years and I never had anyone read them. They did loved them in graphic novel form, but if you have the newer updated covers who knows. As others said it can be a hit and miss series.
KAS112 is offline   Reply With Quote

tchhz

no luck with BSC
Old 07-24-2010, 10:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I kept a whole basket of baby-sitter club books and I also had some of the little sister books but I never had any luck getting my students to read them. It's not really been about their ability they just didn't care for them. They thought they were "boring". I read one and thought that they were probably too mature and passed them up to fifth grade.
tchhz is offline   Reply With Quote

conolley

Babysitter's Club
Old 07-24-2010, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I started reading those books myself in second or third grade all the way through about fifth. I'd say their just right for third graders as far as content, but the actual reading level itself is probably closer to the fourth or fifth range. I have a bunch of those books in my classroom and they're pretty popular with some of my higher readers. The Babysitter's Little Sister books are easier reading level and are also pretty popular as well.
conolley is offline   Reply With Quote

mrs_mar

thanks!
Old 07-24-2010, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

oh, wow! thanks for all the responses i will definitely put them out! i sure that they will be a hit (even if it's just for my gifted)! I will be sure to show my love for them and i'm sure they'll be even just curious about them.. if they continue reading them then great!

basketball777

Old 07-27-2010, 02:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

For the people who said they didn't have luck:

We have BSC and BSC Little Sis in our school library as well....And this is how I have gotten kids to like reading: I show them to the various series we have in the school library that I used to read and explain how much I used to like them, how I used to read them a lot as a kid, and how they even taught me to read! This really gets different kids to try and read the different books! It works! Different kids will like different series! Kids at my school don't really like to read, so I have seen kids who didn't enjoy reading get hooked onto various series I introduce to them, surprisingly...like I will see a girl who struggles with reading and doesnt enjoy reading, start reading the Little Sister series....and then suddenly she likes reading more, etc..

These are the series that I have introduced to kids in the library from my childhood:
Sweet Valley Twins (there is also Sweet Valley Kids out there, easier like BSC Little Sister)
Babysitters Little Sister (and BSC..they discovered them on their own this year)
Polk Street School Kids (a lot of boys like these surprisingly!)
American Girl (these are for your higher kids, a little more difficult)
Little House Books series (Laura Ingalls Wilder)

Then of course, I point them to ones I never read as a child: Magic Tree House, Goosebumps,, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, etc.

Ms Teach-- I have picture books of all levels in my room actually. However, they tend to pick the ones that are right for them...I have more difficult ones, medium ones, easier ones. I mostly have the difficult/medium ones....less of the easy ones. It's because I have students of all levels in my room, they are mostly ELL kids, and I usually have several kids still stuck on 1st grade level in my room for part of the year.....a bunch of 2nd grade level kids, and then about half or a third of the class on third grade level?...I also usually have a lot of high/gifted/above grade level kids as well. My books aren't leveled in my room, because I have so many I don't have time to do that, but also just because we don't have a readers workshop format at my school....we only use a whole class basal reader....I also like them to have picture books they can read, because I often have them read for short intervals of time(when done with work), and I don't want them to pick up a chapter book, read 5 pages of it and then put it back just because it was such a short amount of time...don't get me wrong, lots of kids can sit there reading a chapter book for a short time, but I found in my room, some can't. Also, the boys in third grade LOVE non-fiction picture books...books about history, animals, weather, sports, etc.....I have various levels of those too! Also, I tend to *collect* picture books from my classroom library that have to do with a theme we're studying or a holiday season, or special month and put a whole collection of picture books on one of my boards....I change them about once a month?...or when we change themes...(I also have special picture books that just go with what they are studying and only get them out when we are studying that theme)....They just take the book from the board and return to the board(I sometimes let them take them home to borrow, too)...and this actually really excites the 3rd graders!! They look forward to the new books on the board...funny because some of them come from the classroom library, but I guess because I have so many books it makes them want to read them more. So for example, I put all the books to do with space or Halloween or famous people, etc. on the board.... I also sometimes put my favorite read alouds on the board, especially after I read them...

I did notice though that the kids graduated to chapter books easily this year...the year before it was hard(but I also had a lower class). They usually start out on the ones they were reading in 2nd grade though, those really really easy chapter books..that are more like 1st/2nd grade level.
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Momsgood

Read picture books are comforting
Old 07-30-2010, 09:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I would suggest keeping some of the picture books out. Re-reading text is good practice for fluency and I find that kids sometimes just need that comforting story that they loved last year. My daughter who is 22 will pick up a Berenstain Bear book and get a kick out of reading it and she has been reading those since before kindergarten. Good Luck.
Momsgood is offline   Reply With Quote