Daily Five in Special Education - ProTeacher Community

teacher1987

Daily Five in Special Education
Old 07-25-2010, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am starting my second year teaching, first year teaching in a self-contained classroom. Last year I worked with K-2 resource, many of the teachers in my building used Daily 5 and CAFE, which I loved. Does anyone use this in a classroom with students having more severe disabilities? I would appreciate any information/ideas/feedback on this!! Thanks!

-Bridgette

teacher1987 is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

I did a version of it last year
Old 07-25-2010, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I just gave a lot more direction than it is intended. I did it in combination with guided reading too. I might have done a little more modeling and guidance than a gen ed teacher but it was really helpful when more than one grade level or ability level is present in the same time frame.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher1987

Old 07-26-2010, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks so much! What grade level do you do it with? I think I am going to wait to implement this until at least second semester of this year - maybe wait until next year. I still feel like I need to get an idea of where my students are, I think the majority are at a pre-reading stage.
teacher1987 is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

I teach SpEd
Old 07-26-2010, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

for all grades K-5th. I presented most of the D5 activities without ever calling it by a formal name. I really limited their choices though--maybe 1-2 word work choices, 1-2 writing choices, I chose a lot of the listen to reading and read to self items myself for most of the year.

I was also pretty liberal with the activities. In writing, for example,
I sometimes let them do a handwriting exercise or write the room, etc. In reading, we did a lot of retelling of the stories from the guided reading lessons. We would also "read" our alphabet for the pre readers. We would identify the letters by names and/or sound and call it reading time for those very low level readers.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

FLteachESE

thank you for this post
Old 07-26-2010, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I also plan on using CAFE/Daily 5 in my class and was wondering as well.

FLteachESE is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeffro858

Old 08-01-2010, 11:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I teach K-3, self-contained ED/BD class and my routine is very similiar to everyone's notes. My students are extremely needy; however implementing this type of system has slowly built independence in the ones who can handle it. For others it has been more difficult; some like the secure feeling of being told what to do, others can't handle many choices. I've remedied the latter with less choices; it helped those students and did not upset the other students who enjoy their independence. I agree that it takes a lot more direction than a general ed class would. Even after extensive modeling and reviewing, my students were constantly running to me for everything (and many still do); however some of them slowly began handling things on their own. Finally, I have a lot of activity avoidant students and I can deal with them while the other students can learn independently...a huge plus in my book! I think you should give it a whirl! It could work out for the best, if not you'll gain insight which will help you design an improved system. Good luck with it and take care!
Jeffro858 is offline   Reply With Quote

newspedteach

specially designed instruction
Old 08-01-2010, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

All of you have it right....our kids wouldn't need special ed reading services if they could do the program as delivered in their gen ed classrooms w/o problems. Any program we use needs to be tweaked for each individual student, otherwise it wouldn't be sdi. It isn't the actual program per se, that we need to worry about so much--it's the delivery that needs to be 'special'.

Our district is doing a huge push to balanced literacy right now and most of it is really good information (and some good resources have come with it) but what I don't like is that some tend to point to all basals and scripted programs as "The Devil" when that is not the case. I do a mix with my students. What was interesting is that the trainer (our literacy person for all the elementary schools) has zero sped training and barely mentioned sped during the entire year. This (along with talking to the gen ed teachers in my building) led me to believe that the teachers got zero training on how to work with the lowest readers with this program.

With 'Daily 5', which seems like an overall good literacy program, my students were getting way too much 'read to self' time, too much time to pick out ind. leveled books w/o enough instruction, word work not at their ind. levels, etc. I'm specifically thinking of 5 out of 6 of my 2nd graders. ALL 5 made huge growth when they came to me due to the individual and intense work we did with them. Their gen ed teachers were actually leaders in the balanced literacy group, so it wasn't due to poor teaching...they just didn't know how to differentiate.

With my little ones and extremely low level ones I use Reading Mastery and Edmark (computer program) for supplement. I also do guided reading with a leveled book for fluency and comprehension. This is supplemented with sight words and we use these weekly sight words for their spelling. With my 3rd and 4th graders, I do all the above but the RM and Edmark, unless they are very low functioning. I've had good success so far. I attended all the trainings (not mandatory for me) and enjoyed many aspects. I then take the parts that will work for my students, tweak to individualize and keep tweaking as needed.
newspedteach is offline   Reply With Quote

rr4ever

Thanks for all of your posts...
Old 08-01-2010, 12:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have just discovered Daily 5/Cafe and would like to try it with my special ed 4th graders. I have them for Reading, Writing and Math in a resource room. While searching to find out if an author study by Kevin Henkes is too young for 4th graders I found all of you! So thank you. If anyone out there has additional information they would like to share it would be greatly appreciated.
rr4ever is offline   Reply With Quote