Help

ARCHIVE

ABA Pattern?

>

Sharon D. W.

ABA Pattern?
Old 12-01-2005, 04:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all. I bought calendar cover ups for each month and was going to use Dec today. It says it is an ABA pattern on the package. Each month changes.

The pattern is this:

gingerbreadman, present, gingerbreadman and then it starts all over again. Gingerbreadman, present, gingerbreadman. Is this really an ABA pattern?

sdwl

Sharon D. W. is offline   Reply With Quote

Hylin

Old 12-01-2005, 06:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

yes...that's an aba pattern.... sometimes the repetition gets confusing. sounds like a cute calendar set though. we use saxon math so we do patterning to, but they're just boring colored shapes. i think our pattern for this month is abcc
Hylin is offline   Reply With Quote

K/1 Teacher

pattern
Old 12-01-2005, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes, that is an ABA pattern. It should be like:

ABAABAABAABAABA. It is simply "ABA" repeated over and over. We just finished a long unit on patterns, and this one was very confusing for many of the children, and some teachers too. . What will help them understand it, is if you read it to them, emphasizing each unit (ABA), pausing between each of the units.
K/1 Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Hylin

Old 12-01-2005, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

That is a tricky pattern. My kids had a tough time with it too. We did a lot of grouping, using 3 linking cubes to represent one ABA link. Keep the units of 3 together and talk about the pattern, then snap it all together and read the pattern.
Hylin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sharon D. W.

ABA Pattern: Thanks
Old 12-01-2005, 09:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I checked with 3 other teachers in my school and 2 said that it wasn't a true pattern b/c it needed to continue all the way through and not start over. One, who teaches 3rd said it was a short ABA pattern. I teach first so b/c I was too confused I cheated and jumped to my January cut outs: Mitten, snowflake, snowflake, mitten, snowflake, snowflake...

ABB, ABB, ABB

ABA, ABA, ABA will have to wait for now.

The K teacher has the same sets for each month and she said that December is the only "odd" one of the bunch. She made her own for this Decemebr to fit the ABA pattern "properly" the entire month.

I didn't have the ones for the begginning of the school year and thought it would be OK to start in Dec. Figures I'd have trouble. I'll have them all for next year and start right in Sepetmeber and that way maybe Dec. will not be so confusing for the kiddos and or myself...

Thanks for all the help.

sdwl

Sharon D. W. is offline   Reply With Quote

cH

In music too
Old 12-02-2005, 04:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The ABA pattern is a standard one in music too, although primary level students may not have learned it yet. It is used in many songs the children sing, including "This Land is Your Land." (Refrain/verse/Refrain) It could be confusing if you wrote out the complete form of the song parts, because singing 3 verses of an ABA song would look like this: ABABABA, however, it's still ABA form.
cH is offline   Reply With Quote