Christmas Concert Ideas - ProTeacher Community

TeachinMomma

Christmas Concert Ideas
Old 11-25-2006, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our school holds a Christmas Program every year which is highly attended by parents and community members. Some years we put on a whole-school production, but this year, each class will do its own thing. Last year we did a fabulous play that we wrote together which went over very well. We used students' "Dear Santa, I Can Explain" letters that they had written from the perspective of various fairy tale villains, and had it set in Santa's Courtroom.
This year, I'm not so sure yet...I teach a grade 5/6 split with 28 students. I'm thinking of perhaps doing a Christmas Eve news-cast with various "news" segments about Christmas customs/happenings...but I am looking for ideas and inspirations!

Thanks!

kwh

News Idea
Old 11-26-2006, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I love the news idea... You could have "reporters" stationed around the world who are on the lookout for Santa. They could talk about the different names for Santa Claus and the customs they have for giving/receiving gifts. If you are worried about being live, you could even pre-record some of your interviews and cut to them in your interviews with a projector of sorts.

RebeccaH

Christmas
Old 11-27-2006, 01:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If you do what was suggested above when you get to Australia you could talk about how hot it is here at Christmas. Have someone in bathers etc. 2 songs that may be useful. Six White Boomers and Aussie Jingle Bells.
Herman

Herman

Christmas play
Old 12-05-2006, 02:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi:

Would it be possible for me to get a copy of that play?

hjanssen02@hotmail.com

moberly23@ho

moberly23@ho

Help
Old 12-08-2006, 08:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If you find any ideas please send them my way. I also have a grade 5/6 split class with 25 students. Thanks a million.

moberly23@ho

moberly23@ho

Help
Old 12-08-2006, 08:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If you find any x-mas concert ideas please send them my way. I also have a grade 5/6 split class with 25 students. Thanks a million.

ihaveacat

Chistmas concert
Old 10-10-2007, 10:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Hello! I have a year 3 class and am racking my brain all these holidays for a concert item for the Christmas concert. I love the play that you mentioned if it isn't too much trouble could you email it to me at park_rat@hotmail.com that would be much appreciated thankyou
kate123

kate123

christmas idea
Old 10-23-2007, 09:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I was hoping to get your play from you if you still have it...I am teaching a grade 4/5 class this year, and this would be perfect for them! thanks so much....nolan_c@telus.net

pomona

pomona

Old 10-25-2007, 04:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

could you please, please send me the christmas santa program, too. our budget is zero for music and the programs i have are 15 years out of date. thanks.

pomona

pomona

Old 10-25-2007, 04:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

oops. forgot the email:

my email address: pj9157@aol.com

lulubelle

lulubelle

Christmas blacklight
Old 11-03-2007, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I worked with a grade 5 -6 class (9-11 yr) last year and we did a blacklight show. I had a compilation of Christmas tunes, the kids wore white gloves and did easy hand movements. At one point in the music a piece of Rudoph the Red Nosed Reindeer is played and the kids pulled on flashing red noses which they removed when the music changed. They class really enjoyed it and the audience was amazed.

LK

meela

meela

northernTeach
Old 11-12-2007, 12:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Hi,
I love your idea for the Santa's courtroom play! I know it is a year later but I was wondering you would be able to send me a copy. My email is formissm@hotmail.com. Thank you so much. I teach grade 4 and my students would absolutely love to do something like that.

Thanks again

Ms Teacher

Ms Teacher

Courtroom play
Old 11-16-2007, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I am struggling to figure out what I can do this Christmas with my class. It is my first time having to do anything like this - the play sounds amazing and I was wondering if I could have a copy of it?

If it's possible and you don't mind sharing my email is trudy@nexicom.net

wendy D

wendy D

Christmas Concert
Old 11-20-2007, 11:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I would love to do the idea you describe can you email me the songs and the actions that went with?
Regards Wendy

Wendy D

Wendy D

email
Old 11-20-2007, 11:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

My email is wendy.dyck@lpsd.ca Any Christmas concert ideas for grade 4 would be appreciated.

Kelly Laughma

Kelly Laughma

Grimshaw Teacher
Old 11-22-2007, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Hi there, the play you described for the fairytale villains sounds wonderful. I was wondering if you still had a copy of it. I would really appreciate it if you could forward it on.
klaughman@hotmail.com

SClaughton

SClaughton

Junior High Teacher
Old 11-22-2007, 08:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Hi TeachinMomma!

I know that you have received quite a few requests for your "I Can Explain" play - could I also get a copy?
I'm stumped with what to do this year and your Dr. Santa play sounded awesome.

Thanks so much and have a great holiday!

SClaughton

sclaughton@psd70.ab.ca

CatJoan

CatJoan

Flippin out
Old 11-23-2007, 10:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Our school does individual classroom presentations as this is my first year I'm stressing over our classes 'production" I love the idea of Sanrta's Courtroom'. Is it possible for you to email me a copy of the play? My email is stu@ontarioeast.net Thanks so much for any help.
Joan

Delta30

Christmas concert - more begging
Old 11-25-2007, 04:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Hi
Can I join in with the hoards of beggars and ask if you could send me on a copy of "Dear Santa, I can explain" Sounds origional and funny. My e-mail is mcphillipsclaire@hotmail.com
Thanks a mill
Distressed

Distressed

I love your idea
Old 11-26-2007, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

As many others have stated, I love the idea of "Dear Santa, I Can Explain". Could you please email me a copy of your play.

My best idea was Red Green and Harold hosting a Canadian Idol show with Santa, Mrs. Claus and the school principal or Prime Minister as judges and students in groups or solos lip syncing Christmas Carols. Some were rock or snappy and then O Holy Hight brought down the house. It was a blast and contestants were getting applauses after their performances.
Thanks.

Distressed

Distressed

Distressed and forgetful
Old 11-26-2007, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

So caught up I forgot to include my email.
mcullen@prspirit.ca

TeachinMomma

Dear Santa, I Can Explain Play
Old 11-26-2007, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Hi All,

I posted the original message a year ago, and didn't realize that so many people were now revisiting the message. SORRY for the delay in the response!

Anyway, the bad news is that I don't have a copy of the "Script" for the play because it was all student written with some add-ins from me. The good news is, that I'll tell you exactly what we did, and hopefully this will help.

1) We brainstormed a list of fairy tale villians/Disney Bad Guys that most people would know (the Grinch, The Big Bad Wolf, Ursula from the Little Mermaid, etc.).

2) Students had to write a letter on behalf of the villain to Santa, explaining their naughty behaviour and asking for forgiveness (a.k.a. "I still want my Christmas present...can you please excuse all of my wrong-doings?!). They came up with some wild and wonderful excuses (kind of like Jon Sciezka's "True Story of the 3 Little Pigs" ideas) for their characters about how their naughtiness really was a total misunderstanding, etc.

3) I then chose a Santa/Mrs. Claus/Some Courtroom Workers, etc. and strung the letters together with some lines that I just made up for the previous mentioned characters. Santa was the ultimate Judge, so after each character read his/her letter, Santa proclaimed his ruling. At one point, Santa started falling asleep, and Mrs. Claus had to wake him up. You could have some elves too as characters in your play. Or, if you have a big class, you could have a "jury" too.

4) All of the villains read dressed in appropriate costumes and came to the podium in the "courtroom" to plead their case to Santa.

5) This basically consumed my last 3 weeks before Christmas break (it was actually 2 years ago now when I did this). The kids loved it, and I got marks for writing/drama/oral & verbal communication for report cards.

I really hope that this helps. Sorry that I don't just have a script to give you, but quite frankly, the kids are so much more invested when they have actually WRITTEN the play too.

Last year, we did do a Christmas Eve Newscast, which was also in a similar student-written format:

1) We brainstormed parts of a news show and key media representatives (We had a weatherman; news anchors; reporters who were reporting live and on-location; some students doing commercials; etc.).

2) We brainstormed funny things that could be happening on Christmas Eve which would be newsworthy (i.e. Rudolph's nose won't shine; Main Elf's tongue stuck to North pole; Big Snowstorm...will Santa get around the world?), etc. and each student/pair wrote their own segment of the newscast.

3) I then wrote the 2 main anchors' parts, which tied all of the individual segments together and introduced them, "Next we have reporting live from the North Pole, Amanda who is coming to us with an exciting story of ....".

4) This play was equally as impressive as the Dear Santa one. Again, it consumed most of our pre-holiday time, and kids were very invested!!

I hope that these two ideas have helped. If you have any more questions, please e-mail me kjatkinson@hotmail.com.

ENJOY!!!
Shona

Shona

Help needed with Christmas ideas!
Old 09-14-2008, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

If anyone could send me copies of the "Dear Santa, I can explain" and the Courtroom Santa plays, it would be greatly appreciated. They sound fantastic! Thanks so much.

themacphees@eastlink.ca

Teachtlt

Teachtlt

Help!
Old 09-22-2008, 10:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I have a grade 5 class of 11 students and need to come up with some sort of concert idea. It can be christmas or winter, but I have no clue where to get started. I've loved the news broadcast and courtroom ideas, but anyone else have any suggestions?

lah1979

lah1979

Help!
Old 10-01-2008, 08:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Just wondering if I could get a copy of your Christmas play that you mentioned about writing Santa as fairy tale characters? It sounds great.

lom

lom

christmas dramas
Old 10-15-2008, 02:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Is it possible to get a copy of your Christmas Eve newscast? Desperately needing inspiration!!

miksiw

miksiw

Concert Idea for Upper Elementary Grades
Old 10-24-2008, 12:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I teach Grade Seven in a K-12 school, and often find the students dislike performing Santa plays or singing carols. What I have done in the past is had them create a PowerPoint Slide that describes their favorite thing about Christmas, or something similar. They decide on what they would like to share, what background they would like to use, font, and all other effects. I include a digital picture of the student on the slide, put the whole thing together, and add the music throughout. It usually takes a couple of weeks from start to finish, and we have to book time in the computer lab. Parents/family members etc. always seem to enjoy it. This could also be done with younger students. I used the (newer) song "Hark Now Hear the Angels Sing" I believe by Boney M? And it worked really well. An LCD is set up on a big screen in the gym to display it for everyone to see.

Dundee Teach

Dundee Teach

Originality
Old 11-03-2008, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

Is it me or does everyone want to take ideas already created. This isnt teaching! These fantastic ideas can be used and scripted in your own class' way. Yes, it will take time and effort from you and the class, but it will be better! Do what you're paid to do like the rest of us and teach!

Sharing

Sharing

Old 11-04-2008, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

Dear Dundee Teach - Maybe your board isn't as strict as other boards as to what you need to teach in the 3 terms. We have strict guidelines we follow and student samples we need to present in order to prove that we're following these guidelines. Right now the focus is not on writing fractured fairytales. Maybe get both sides of the story before blowing up. Is this how you react to your students when they do something you don't agree with. Think about professionalism (or even just respect). Plus, it's called sharing good ideas. Have you heard of it? I bet your collegues are happy to have such a positive person like you on staff with them. P.S. If you ever want to sit in on a good teacher's class and learn how to use apostrophes correctly, let one of us know.

mbrad

mbrad

PowerPoint
Old 11-06-2008, 12:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

I did this last year and my students and their families loved it.

We asked every student in our junior division to bring in their earliest picture with Santa. We scanned them into the computer and created a slide show of photos that was projected and our students sang holiday songs. It lasted for about 3 songs and every loved seeing all of the cute baby photos. For students who did not have a baby photo, we took current shots.

This year, I have 5 minutes only...any suggestions? I love the global collaboration!

RebeccaH

Thank you mbrad
Old 11-06-2008, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

Every year I put on my own concert/afternoon. We sing some Christmas carols and then I show a photostory/powerpoint of our year. This year I have year 2's and they are making their own. So on the day we will sing some songs, parents will go and see their own child's photostory and then we will have afternoon tea. We start at 4.15 and go to nearly 6pm. It is also my chance to thank the parents who have helped. I have always had great response to it. This year while we are singing I will use their their first photo with santa and display on our large screen.
I love these boards because we all help and share.
QuebecSue

QuebecSue

Dundee Teach
Old 11-14-2008, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

Last time I checked teaching was a team activity. We are not islands, why should we act like one? Do you never use textbooks, workbooks etc. ? That's all things educators share with each other!!

QuebecSue

QuebecSue

Ideas
Old 11-14-2008, 12:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

I just volunteered to help out an Elem. teacher. We are a K-11 school and she is tone deaf and dreads the Christmas concert. I offered to trade a few classes with her and do some music with her kids.

Now I"m actually thinking it out and remembering she has a difficult class, a large # of boys who are 'too cool for school'. Eager for ideas for a gr 5/6 class of mostly boys... music must be involved.

LizBram

LizBram

Old 11-16-2008, 12:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

Hey, I also teach at a school where grade 5 and 6 think they are too cool to sing in a concert. the graed 5 boys this year performed 'consider yourself' from Oliver and they loved it. They were in complete costumes with hats, braces, shirts- the works. they looked and sounded fantastic- the music was catchy and the costumes made them feel 'manly'. Grade 6 boys did a performance of the New Zealand hakka which was also great- again very manly with lots of testoserone needed! the boys loved it. i have found the key to get the boys interested is to tap into their need to prove themselves as MEN!! good luck, hope this works

carmen ranta

carmen ranta

music teacher
Old 11-21-2008, 10:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

Hi this is a useful suggestion for our church concert, what type of hand movements, and how did they stand, in a long row, did they move into different formations? How did you practice, with the lights on? Any other details would be useful.
Thanks Carmen

PoCo Teacher

PoCo Teacher

Dramatising picture books
Old 11-24-2008, 10:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

One idea that works is to take a good picture book and make it into a play. The Polar Express, How Santa Got His Job, and the Christmas Orange all make good choices.
The performance is a little longer, but it can be effective.
Some students can read the story (narrators, taking turns page by page).
Other students act out various parts as the story is being read. They can also say some of the lines as those come up.
We've used the moving chalkboards to create basic backdrops that can be rotated from page/scene to page/scene.
Again, students get involved and it takes up plenty of time during the season.

lok

lok

Old 10-16-2009, 03:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

"Dear Santa, I Can Explain" letters that they had written from the perspective of various fairy tale villains, and had it set in Santa's Courtroom"

Hi,
Could I please have a copy of that play it sounds great!!!

lauraokeeffe@hotmail.com

Wit's End

Wit's End

At wit's ends with Xmas Concert ideas
Old 10-25-2009, 01:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

I found a play on line about christmas around the world, with songs for various countries. \I did it with a grade 4/5 class and I had the crowd's attention. I now have a grade 7-9 class and am wits end. I like the idea of Dear Santa, I can Explain and the Canadian Ido themes. Can they be sent to me. Thanks a bunch, it sure would help

1kiwiteacher

1kiwiteacher

professora
Old 10-31-2009, 12:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

Wow - two awesome ideas!!! Thank you so much for giving us what is basically a unit plan outline! I can't wait to do these ideas. My hardest decision - which one to do first!!!!!

Thanks for the instructions!

Dona

Dona

Stressed Out
Old 11-03-2009, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

I put on the show 'Dear Santa I can explain' last year with a class of 10 year olds and it was fabulous. The children came up with the ideas of which fairytale characters should be involved and all of the excuses for their bad behaviour. The children and parents loved it.

I am looking for any ideas for an activitity ( approximately 10 or 15 mins) for this year's christmas concert for a class of 10 year olds and would appreciate any help!!

LyndyM

LyndyM

Dear Santa Play
Old 11-20-2009, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

Hi TeachinMomma!

Yes, yet another teacher who is interested in your Dear Santa play. If you are willing, I'd love to see it, but I totally understand if you feel that too many people are asking for it! It sounds like a great idea, and we're just getting ready to start a Fairy Tales unit, so I thought it would work well. Thanks for sharing your idea, even if you decide not to share the play. My email is: d.murray@tvdsb.on.ca
Regards,

DONA

DONA

Dear santa i can explain
Old 11-21-2009, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

Sorry don't have script as such. Set task as homework activity where children chose a fairytale character and had to write an excuse for their behaviour. For example, bad wolf in red riding hood slipped on a banana skin and opened his mouth to scream and just happened to accidentally swallow little red riding hood etc.

suzzikins

suzzikins

swiss
Old 11-24-2009, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

I teach a grade 4/5 and I have done this idea many times at my different schools. It is a quick 3 minute movement routine to Run, Run Rudolph by Bryan Adams. it is a really rocking song and the kids come out and do movements on stage, pretty easy to choreograph. Then during the musical interlude part you have a group of kids playing the drums, guitar, sax, (in an air band) below the stage and the spotlight hits them. Then the words come back on and you have Santa appear on stage chasing Rudolph until he finally catches him and all the reindeer on stage fall to the ground for the grand finale with Santa and Rudolph in the middle. One year I used black lights and that really made the reindeer and band stand out. Anyway it has been well received whenever I have done it. Just listen to the words of the song and it is quite easy to do and only 3 minutes long so nice and short, active and entertaining.

RebeccaH

Loved it
Old 11-24-2009, 08:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

suzzikins loved it

http://www.turnbacktogod.com/run-rud...g-bryan-adams/
this site has words and him singing it. Thanks for a new idea.