portfolio ideas for preschool - ProTeacher Community

anaola

portfolio ideas for preschool
Old 11-25-2006, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Can someone share ideas for an assessment portfolio? I work in a preschool and I wanted to create a portfolio for each child. What should I include include?
thanks

anaola is offline   Reply With Quote

sally123

sally123

portfolios
Old 11-26-2006, 06:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Usually include self portraits drawn by child-I have child draw what they look like (usually about 3-4 a year to show progress) I have them write name at beginning of year with no model to see how they write it-I accept what they do to show starting point-then I will write their name on paper after a few weeks and have them write it- I take 4-5 samples of name writing throughout year. I take a lot of pictures of them doing many activities in all areas of the class to show math, science, social skills. I take examples of their art work-ones that show ability to follow directions and free art examples that they created. I take examples of fine motor skills such as cutting, lacing, etc. I have them draw pictures in a journal and take down what they say about picture to show literacy skills. We also do monthly class book where each child draws a picture about a story we have read ex. We read the Itsy Bitsy Spider book and the kids drew My itsy bitsy spider is climbing up_________________.
They draw a picture of where the spider is climbing. I make copies of the pages and put in their portfolios. At the end of the year each child gets to take a class made book home. I break the portfolio into sections like math, science, fine/gross motor, social/emotional dev., creative arts, lang./literacy dev. Hope this helps.

NerdyTeacher

Old 11-26-2006, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Are you thinking about something that is cute, more like a scrapbook of preschool experiences, or something to show that your students are making progress or meeting certain standards?
NerdyTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

anaola

showing the childrens progress
Old 11-27-2006, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

i want something to show the children progress through out the year and their development in different areas.
any suggestions?

anaola

helpful ideas
Old 11-27-2006, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you for the post! great ideas and really helpful!

NerdyTeacher

Old 12-03-2006, 08:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I don't do a lot of stuff because since all my children have IEP's, I have to collect data for their goals and show progress that way. One thing I have done this year though, which I have found really interesting, is writing journals. I got the idea from Mrs Levin's Pre-K Pages website. Basically, you just give the children time to "write" each day. I also write at the same time. I love to look at the pages from the beginning of the year to now and show their parents when I meet with them.
NerdyTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

jezzy987

port
Old 12-07-2006, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We do a Memory book with different samples of things from the year to go home, to keep on record at school we do a name and picture sample at beginning and end of the year for 4K
jezzy987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Mrs. Barnett

Mrs. Barnett

Mother goose portfolio
Old 08-29-2008, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I teach the children a different nursery rhyme each month. At the end of the month, we do a portfolio page to go along with the rhyme. For example:
Sept: Mary Had a Little Lamb (I copy a lamb onto a paper and have the children draw and color Mary and the school. When they are done, we glue a cotton ball to our little lamb)
Oct: Little Miss Muffet (I punch two holes - one at each end of the paper, thread some yarn through the wholes, then attatch a spider to the yarn. Now the kids can move the spider up and down on the paper. Then, I have the children draw and color little miss muffet.)
Nov: Peter Peter Pumpkin Eater ( I photo copy a large pumpkin with a door shape on it. I have the kids cut out the pumpkin, and draw a wife inside the door)
I use the same types of ideas for the rest of the rhymes we learn throughout the year:
Dec: Jack Be Nimble
Jan: Hickory Dickory Dock
Feb: Jack and Jill
Mar: Little Boy Blue
Apr: Humpty Dumpty
May: Hey Diddle Diddle