First Day Parent Letter - ProTeacher Community

Sammy

First Day Parent Letter
Old 07-28-2010, 10:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi! Does anyone have their first day of school letter to parents they'd be willing to share? Mine from 4th grade doesn't work!!! I can't even seem to "tweak" it to where I like it.

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherof1st

Beginning of Year Letter to Parents
Old 07-29-2010, 12:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Dear Parents,
Welcome to First Grade! This year your child will learn to read with fluency, respond to stories they’ve read, spell words, write stories, solve addition and subtraction facts, solve story problems, learn to tell time and count money, skip count, etc, as well as gain an understanding in science, social studies, and health units that will be taught through our curriculum, the Georgia Performance Standards.

Morning Routine: Each day, students are to unpack their book bags, put away binders (given on first day) in a specific area in the room, quietly order their lunch choice, and go to the restroom. After the morning work is completed, students are welcome to read a book quietly before we begin our daily routine.
Note: Please do not follow your child to our classroom every day, but rather let him or her walk to class and establish a good routine independently.

Reading & Writing- In Reader’s Workshop, students read on their specific reading level with the teacher in guided reading groups. During Writer’s Workshop, students will learn how to write stories, poems, and little books. They will also learn much needed grammar basics such as capitalization and punctuation skills.

Math- During our math time, students will be given opportunities to work with manipulatives in order to learn various math concepts. You will be kept in touch through signed papers, notes home, and/or phone calls on your child’s success and what you can do at home to help him/her in Math.

Conferences: Parents may call the office or write a note requesting a conference.

Communication: Students will be given an agenda the first day of school. This is my preferred method to communicate with you this year. Of course I will call you if I need to, but to make things easier I will write in the agenda to let you know how the day went. During the day, if you find that you need to change your child’s transportation, please call the office and let them know.

Absences: The school is required to know why a child is absent from school. Parents must send a note to the child’s teacher giving the reason for the absence with the following info: the date excuse is written, the date/day of absence, reason for absence, and signature of parent/guardian.
Please remember: Written excuses will only be accepted within 3 days whether excused or unexcused.

Lunch- Feel free to come and have lunch with your child at school. Children love to see their parents here at school and they get really surprised when parents show up to eat with them! 

Weekly Papers: Your child’s graded papers will be sent home each Wednesday so that you can review them. Please feel free to go over these papers with your child so that they know what they missed. All papers with N’s or U’s need to be signed and sent back to the teacher the following day.

Let’s have a fantastic year!
teacherof1st is offline   Reply With Quote

nolefan

First Parent letter
Old 07-29-2010, 04:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

On Orientation Friday the week before school starts the students come with their families to meet the teacher for the year. On each child's desk I have a letter to the child, a little gift bag with a candy Hug, a candy Kiss, and a roll of Smarties and a letter to the parent. The tag on the gift bag says "A hug and a kiss for a first grade smartie!) My letter to the parent is what I call my Angel Letter. It has nothing to do with curriculum for the year. It asks the parent to reflect on what makes his/her child tick. I have received some very valuable information through these very personal letters. Give it a try. You'll be pleasantly surprised with the results.

Dear Parents,

As we begin a new year together, I am very excited to be working in partnership with you in order to help your child achieve as much as possible. You are and will continue to be your child’s most important teacher. For six or more years now you have had the opportunity to watch your child grow and develop into the youngster he or she is today. You know what makes your child “tick”: what makes him/her laugh and cry, what makes him/her so excited one minute and apprehensive the next, what embarrasses him or her, what he/she loves to do, what is challenging for your child, etc.

In order for me to do the best job I can of nurturing as well as educating your child, your input is very valuable. Please take a few quiet minutes over the next several days to sit back and reflect on your child. I would love for you to write to me about this very special child you are putting in my care this year. What are the things you, as a parent, would like me to know? I would love to know how your child thinks, feels, plays, and how you see your child as a learner. What are your goals for your child this year?

Thanks so much for taking the time to write your letter. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
nolefan is offline   Reply With Quote

missc123

Old 07-29-2010, 04:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Nolefan - I LOVE the idea of asking parents to write me a letter about their children....your wording is so perfect! I will definitely be using that this year. Thank you!
missc123 is offline   Reply With Quote

lovinthegrade

Thanks Noelfan!
Old 07-29-2010, 10:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am going to use your gift bag idea for sure. I love that it is a little something to give them, doesn't cost much and is really cute. Thankss for sharing the idea. I love it, simple and easy!

lovinthegrade is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherlass

Nolefan
Old 07-29-2010, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I love the idea of parents sharing their thoughts about their child. In the past I've sent home a questionnaire at the open house in order to get parents' thoughts. I like your idea of having parents share whatever information they think I'll find useful. Thanks for the great idea!
teacherlass is offline   Reply With Quote

WPE08

Here is one I used last year
Old 07-29-2010, 09:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I deleted my personal info in the second paragraph but hopefully it's self explanatory. This was a letter that was inside my parent/student handbook for my classroom. The handbook had diffferent pages describing our classroom procedures, schedule, behavior, etc. Hope thsi helps.

Dear Parent/Guardian,

I am writing to ask you to help me become a partner in your child’s education. I will only be in your child’s life for a brief time- a fleeting school year- and I would like to make a contribution that lasts a lifetime. Our classroom has a T.E.A.M. theme which is a great opportunity to teach my students the importance of working with others in the classroom as well as outside of school. T.E.A.M. is an acronym for “Together Everyone Achieves More.” I truly believe in this slogan and therefore need your help in making your child the best that he/she can be in 3rd grade.

I would like to introduce myself to each of you. My name is ________________. I was born in , AL and moved to when I was 4 years old. I attended WPE and am so thrilled to be back here teaching! I am the middle child of seven. You may know my oldest sister, Amber , because she is a fourth grade teacher here. I graduated from in and then received my Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education at Columbus . I graduated from there in May 2008 and began my teaching career. This is my second year of teaching. I was just married this past summer and now live in with my husband. He is a high school history teacher and coaches football at High School in , GA.

I am so excited about teaching your child and working with you this school year! I enjoy watching how much my students grow from August to May and so glad that I have a part in their educational success. The environment I strive to establish in my classroom will allow your child to prosper and enrich the lives and learning of others. I invite you to be involved in the classroom whenever possible because you are the most important person in your child’s life. You are welcome to stop by or schedule a time to simply read a story to the class anytime. Please feel free to contact me if I can assist you in any way and I will get back to you at my earliest convenience. I have included my phone number, e-mail address, and our classroom website link at the bottom of the page.

Thank you again for trusting me with your child. As the leader of our classroom community, I am dedicated to giving your child the best learning experience possible!

Sincerely,
Mrs.

Phone-
E-mail-
Website- http://teacherweb.com/GA/WestPointElementary/McCorkle/
WPE08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sammy

Old 07-30-2010, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thank you so much everyone!!
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote

MapleLeaves

Nolefan
Old 07-30-2010, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thank you for sharing your letter! I also ask about things like that, but you word it so personally and thoughtfully. You seem like a super sweet teacher.
MapleLeaves is offline   Reply With Quote

Velma33

Great ideas!
Old 08-03-2013, 02:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thank you to everyone who shared their ideas-they are great!
Velma33 is offline   Reply With Quote