Just back from nwea conference - ProTeacher Community

divaB

Just back from nwea conference
Old 07-29-2010, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

The Midwest NWEA Conference was held in Lincolnshire, IL this year, and I must say I learned so much more about NWEA testing. My district has had NWEA for two years going into our third and we are ready to focus on national rankings and our student growth. While we are ranking very high state wide, we are working on national standards as well. As you know Pres. Obama has started an initiative focusing on student growth instead of a child being on a grade level. Personally, I know the challenges of moving a child thats on a 2nd grade reading level in 4/5th grade to grade level.

I've always focused my students and parents on individual growth. So what do think about this initiative? and .....have other schools/districts adopted NWEA, what are some challenges and what instructional practices have admin and teacher implemented to focus on student growth.

divaB is offline   Reply With Quote

rlyndecker

Interested
Old 07-29-2010, 08:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

in hearing more...
We started NWEA testing last school year but teachers were pretty much left in the dark. We had so much back and forth about what we had to give the parents/what we were to tell parents etc. Most of it last minute. I love the idea that the students take the test on the computer & I don't have to grade it, I can go on & get the results right away but....how accurate to the student is it? I had a little girl from Norway (in 3rd grade) who especially on the math made HUGE growth in all areas between Fall & Spring. I was really impressed & to me she had made A TON of growth, but I wasn't really sure if she had made that much.
How close are the "grade" levels? And what about the range?
I would love to know more to help me be better at understanding this. Our training was really just how to print reports & how to log on!
Thanks!
rlyndecker is offline   Reply With Quote

clanna

Yes
Old 07-29-2010, 08:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We use NWEA and students in grades 1 through 5 do MAP testing three times a year. We also dp state testing in May, but teachers get much more individualized data, as well as class data with NWEA MAP. Delivery of data is within 24 hours of testing, which is a big plus. Also, NWEA data is much easier for parents, and students to understand, because you can print the graphs to show growth.

Teachers use data to write instructional goals that focus on the weakest area for their class as a whole. Also, data is used to create small groups to address specific skills as identified by Descartes.

Students in the lower quartile receive small group intervention, as required by NCLB.

MAP has made our instruction much more focused and individualized.
clanna is offline   Reply With Quote

Amanda_09

Modifying my teaching
Old 07-29-2010, 09:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've used the program to identify weaknesses in my teaching as well as weaknesses in the programs we're using. There may be one area that I'm not teaching as well, or that the program doesn't go into as much detail as the students need to learn the concept. I've already written about which report I use and why so i won't write it again, but link to the post.

http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=268102
Amanda_09 is offline   Reply With Quote

vespergirl

I am being forced
Old 07-29-2010, 12:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

to sit through the third year of whole-day MAP training in a few weeks and I am less than thrilled. Somehow, the trainers never really address the questions that parents like to drill me with. The biggest questions I always have, have to do with negative growth. Did you learn anything new or useful in that department?

There are several parents at my school who are university professors and they constantly harp on the unreliability of the data from MAP. Did you happen to hear anything on that subject? I'm definitely interested in hearing more about what you learned.

vespergirl is offline   Reply With Quote