Advantages and Disadvantages of Rubrics - ProTeacher Community

NLteach3

Advantages and Disadvantages of Rubrics
Old 11-26-2006, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What do you see are some advantages and disadvantages to rubrics?

NLteach3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jade

Old 11-26-2006, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use rubrics almost exclusively for writing assignments.

Advantage: Writing the rubric makes me really focus on why I have given the assignment and what I consider important. It gives the student (and parent) a clear direction on what the student needs to do. Once I have a rubric created, grading the assignment is quick and easy.

Disadvantage: Takes time to set up.
Jade is offline   Reply With Quote

imalith

Rubrics
Old 11-26-2006, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I also grade all my papers with rubrics. I love them. They give detailed feedback to students. I still add comments, but much less that would be necessary if I didn't use a rubric. I agree with the previous poster that it keeps focus on the particular trait or skill you are assessing at the time.

The disadvantage, I guess, is that you have to make copies of the rubric and wipe out more trees.
imalith is offline   Reply With Quote

SC

Rubrics
Old 11-26-2006, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I use rubrics for writing assignments and large projects. Sometimes I don't have time to make a rubric and will make a checklist with a scale (1-5 or 1-10) instead, but they're not as detailed.

Pros of rubrics:
- Detailed feedback
- For subjective assignments, they make grading more concrete.
- Students know what is expected of them before they turn in their work.

Cons:
- Sometimes I make a rubric and during grading realize that I should have included something else. I can't necessarily deduct points on the assignment, though, because it wasn't on the rubric.
- Time to create and make copies
SC is offline   Reply With Quote

kwh

Rubistar
Old 11-26-2006, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Have you used Rubistar? http://rubistar.4teachers.org/index.php
It has some great pre-made rubrics and is easily adjustable. I agree that it's time consuming, but I think rubrics are awesome for keeping myself and my students focused. I usually send it home to be signed by the parents when we're starting a project so that there's no questions about what was/wasn't to be graded.

kwh is offline   Reply With Quote
DM14TM12

DM14TM12

Parent and College Faculty
Old 06-25-2007, 07:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I was surprised to read that anyone would consider rubrics to give good feedback. I have found that assignments graded with rubrics give almost no feedback. It is a canned assessment with little added for improvement.

Many rubrics distinguish performance by use of the terms 'consistently' or 'often' in the descriptors. These are subjective terms and meaningless in any real manner. Secondly, too many educators lazily use the scale of a rubric to assign the final score. No nuance is available in such an approach, especially in a 4 or 6 point scale. Is a 5 (83%, B-) that significantly different from a 6 (100%, A) in such a subjective scale? Certainly not in my experience as a college faculty member,

The use of rubrics for rudimentary evaluation has some merit, but their use in grading should be abolished.
NIH

NIH

Rubrics
Old 01-21-2009, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I really love to read and use this rubrics.... why? it is because... it gives knowledge not only to the students but to the teachers to make their work easier in rating the students' work. for the students... it helps them to strive in their writing tasks.