Recording Clip Chart Behavior? - ProTeacher Community

Teach_Inspire

Recording Clip Chart Behavior?
Old 08-01-2010, 11:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am hoping to use the clip chart idea this year, if my grade level team and principal agree with it. This will be my first year teaching so I need a solid behavior management system. During my Student Teaching my CT had something similar, but the students did not have the option to go up the chart, only down if they didn't follow the class rules. She also had this system of recording their daily behavior on a monthly chart in their daily F.R.O.G. take home folder using smiley and frown faces.

So I was wondering, for those of you that do use the clip chart behavior system with both ways to go up or down the chart, do you record the students daily behavior? If so, How?

I don't want to have to use different pictures or stamps for each category, I feel like that will take too much time since there are 7 behavior levels, but I do want to keep student's parents informed daily.

I was thinking just labeling using the first letter of each colored category since there is no duplicates, but I would like to be more creative then that.....Please help!

Teach_Inspire is offline   Reply With Quote

KTeach_IN

Old 08-01-2010, 11:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach Kindergarten and use the clip chart and love it! I have been able to encourage all of the positive behavior so much more! I do not record their daily color at the end of the day. If they make it all the way to the top, they get a small business card positive note, or another note I have copied. If they get down to teacher choice, I do document for me what happened and what we did to resolve it. That goes for the parent contact as well. But as far as recording everyone everyday and letting parents know, I don't. I feel like we talk about things a lot and deal with our everyday little things at school. If it is something major, or something that is happening more often, I definitely contact parents and discuss. But, overall what happens at school is dealt with that day, and every day is a new start.

I love the clip chart!
KTeach_IN is offline   Reply With Quote

sdiaz21

Old 08-01-2010, 11:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I made up a little sheet with the seven levels and record where they were at the end of the day, but I send it home on a weekly basis attached to their corrected tests. I always send things home on the same day of the week so that way the parents know to expect a behavior/academic report on Tuesdays and there isn't any confusion about things getting lost because they are sent home on various days.
sdiaz21 is offline   Reply With Quote

ubs

Old 08-01-2010, 11:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Below the "Ready to Learn" box, I have "Reminder." Below that, I have "Sign the Behavior Book." I have a book that they date and write the offense. I like this because the entry is in the kiddo's own handwriting, and I count the signatures for the behavior grade. Below that, that sign the book again and parents are contacted. If they sign the book, but straighten up after that, I may initial the signature and count off less on the behavior grade. This will be my first yr with the chart. I would highly recommend the behavior book.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote

excitedteach

folder daily
Old 08-01-2010, 11:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This is my first year with the clip chart, but I used a 3 color system last year. In their folder is a sheet that has the week listed and the homework and at the top of each day is a small box. I had a crayon in each color that I kept on my desk and quickly made a check mark for each child when I checked their folder at the end of the day.
If it was the lowest color I put a comment or note. Worked great for me, quick and easy and kept parents informed.

excitedteach is offline   Reply With Quote

sipping tea

Old 08-01-2010, 12:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I keep a sheet in the student's BEE binders. At the end of the day the students take out their crayons and color in their own level. You can see both my BEE binder and clip chart form on my website. Hope it helps!
www.teacherweb.com/ny/mta/durning
sipping tea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tonya0581

Old 08-01-2010, 12:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

when i did the whole color system, clip chart thing...which i would never do now...i had 4 levels and each month i printed of a calendar with important dates and such. It went home nightly in their homework folder. My assistant would just have 4 markers...one for each level...and draw a face with the color marker they left on the day with in the correct date box on the calendar. It was very easy!
Tonya0581 is offline   Reply With Quote

paullyhi

Rick Morris New Management
Old 08-01-2010, 01:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Check out Rick Morris's Clip Chart ebook. On pages 17-19 he discusses how to record daily behavior by assigning each level a point value. He then averages out the points each week to retrieve a conduct grade.
paullyhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach_Inspire

clip chart daily record sheet
Old 08-01-2010, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thank you everyone for all of you feedback....I spent some time reading about Rick Morris's clip chart and how to document it and also took some ideas that I had and what you have all posted here.

I made a document sheet that I will include in my students daily take home folder. I wish I could post the word document but I think I am too new of a member to have that option available. If you would like I can try to post my opinions as much as I can these next few days and try to get the option to attach a document here. I have gotten so much from all of you I just wish I could give back right now.
Teach_Inspire is offline   Reply With Quote