No More "I'm Done!" by Jennifer Jacobson - ProTeacher Community

jennylearn

No More "I'm Done!" by Jennifer Jacobson
Old 08-04-2010, 10:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just got this book, and I love her ideas. I just read where she has the old materials from last year at her writing supplies center for the beginning of the year. She does this until the novelty of the supplies wears off. What a great idea! I always put out the brand new items! Is anyone else reading this book? Feel free to share your favorite parts from her book. I can't wait to read what others are thinking.

sn02py

Old 08-04-2010, 10:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I read it a little bit earlier in the summer, but I'm going to read through the first few chapters again this week, as those are the parts that I found most valuable. I found the minilessons neat, but very trait-based. I also liked the information on the writing process/revision, etc.

I would recommend reading "Of Primary Importance" by Anne Marie Corgill as well. A bit of a different approach (less freedom, more direction), but very interesting read as well.

stretchberry

Old 08-04-2010, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Jacobson has some wonderful ideas for routines and management to get students to be more independent and write more. Some of my favorites...
  • Quiet 10 - Getting the workshop started more productively (I love starting them off with this expectation--although it probably won't be 10 min. at the beginning of the year. Since reading Jacobson's book I noticed two other authors recommending starting with a silent workshop: Areglado in Let's Write & Smekens in Launching the Writing Workshop.
  • Baby names book - Using fictional characters for fiction rather than friends' names
  • Having students stay in the meeting area until they have a plan for writing (Teacher and peers assist as reasonable)
  • Having a strategy for students who want to spend all their time drawing
  • Mascot conference
  • Conference strategy: Asking, "HOW will you add that detail?" not "Do you want to add that?"

magee

No More I'm Done
Old 08-04-2010, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Excellent book! Can't wait to read through it again!

violetsrblu

Book
Old 08-05-2010, 05:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This bok was recommended to me and I found it very helpful. I think she has a lot of great ideas. There was some management issues that I wanted to have a better understanding of and this book really spelled out how to run a successful writer's workshop. I also read "Of Primary Importance" this summer by Ann Marie Corgill and found this book to be very good too. I liked how Jacobson's bok went through the writer's workshop and some of the things she does while Corgill's book gives some good ideas for Units of Study throughout the school year.

pitumama

date stamp duty
Old 08-08-2010, 12:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I read this book online yesterday at Stenhouse and loved it! Even though I teach fourth grade, I believe I can use these lessons with just a few adjustments.

My favorite tip (other than those by other posting teachers) is date-stamping the students' work to keep up with their progress and notice any lack.

tifdarwil

Loved the book
Old 08-16-2010, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I would like to see how the signing up for a conference works in action. I could see all of my students rushing up to sign up for conference to share with me instead of a friend

chalk_talk

writing conferences
Old 08-17-2010, 09:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

The points made on conferencing with students were very good. She really does set up the structure of the conference and gives hints as to what you can do to promote student's writing - beyond "add more detail". Our district uses UOS as a basis for our writing workshop. I think her suggestions would be useful even if you don't use 6 traits.

nstarling

Loved This Book!
Old 08-21-2010, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I just got finished reading this whole book, and loved the ideas she implemented for managing writer's workshop. This will be my first year teaching, and I will be teaching third grade. School started this past Monday (I just found out I would be teaching third grade the Wednesday before school started), and I must admit I have been totally overwhelmed with almost every aspect of the school day. This book helped put my mind at ease about one aspect of the day at least!

stmforever

what about grammar?
Old 08-26-2010, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Okay I still struggle with the grammar piece of teaching language arts. My school has some very traditional teacher's especially in the upper grades. I teach fourth and my school goes up to eighth.
I only have 35 minutes...so I find it hard to fit everything in.