Help

BusyBoard

reading log or not to reading log???

>

Tonya0581

reading log or not to reading log???
Old 08-06-2010, 04:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have always used a reading log for nightly homework...then last night as I was thinking about making a new one I came a cross this article...

http://stophomework.com/i-hate-readi...-fedup-mom/956

After reading it...I really agree I have many times had students sign for their parents or just don't want to do it. I want to have them read and enjoy it! Not dread it!

What do you all think???

Tonya0581 is offline   Reply With Quote

gingerg49

Book Whisperer
Old 08-06-2010, 04:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I read The Book Whisperer this summer and it gets to the heart of teaching a love of reading. It's a great read! Anyway, I am also seriously considereing eliminating my reading logs for this year. I will discuss the importance of reading with the calss and parents, and they will need to read for homework, but no reading log will be required. Good luck!
gingerg49 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaryMac

I have given this a lot of thought
Old 08-06-2010, 04:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have been thinking about doing away with reading logs and your post finally convinced me to abandon them! I have thought a lot about the kids who I knew in my heart were lying, the parents who signed blank pages for the kids to fill in later, and the kids who I knew were spending hours reading each week but hated to write and wouldn't fill in the log, and were punished for it??? Suddenly I feel very liberated!!

NO MORE READING LOGS!
MaryMac is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsSusko

Reading Logs
Old 08-06-2010, 04:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I was considering the reading log myself, and I realized that the only ones that would actually read at home are the students who are already reading. I don't think it will accomplish much.

I already have students that hate reading due to the very boring reading program that we have in place. I'm trying to encourage them to like reading, so I am going to have to say that I won't be giving a reading log. I think this will only serve to make my students that already hate reading to hate it even more!
MrsSusko is offline   Reply With Quote

MIteacher

Book Whisperer
Old 08-06-2010, 05:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would also recommend The Book Whisperer (as mentioned in a previous reply). I read it mid-year last year, and it really changed how I felt about my reading logs. Because I had already started reading logs, I finished the year with them, but I most likely will not use them again.

MIteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tea"cheer"

Old 08-06-2010, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I wish I could do away with them, but they are mandatory in my school. What really gets my goat are the classrooms that assign point values to them. They're just asking for lies and cheating.
Tea"cheer" is offline   Reply With Quote

parker

Haven't had any for years
Old 08-06-2010, 06:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I quit reading logs long ago. We do book talks instead. No more nagging parents or students for me. No more checking and recording for me. Parents are happy, students use a more authentic method of reflecting on the reading and are happy. No more wasted time, I am happy.
Book talks are based on completing a book snapshot. Student complete at least 4 per quarter.
If you want to see what they look like go here and start at post #11 then scroll down for a few more.

http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...829#post730829
parker is offline   Reply With Quote

disneynut

Parker
Old 08-06-2010, 06:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am intrigued by your "snapshot" idea.........I too desperately want to do away with reading logs. I downloaded your forms (thank you)..can you give me an example of the execution of a "book talk?" Does the child speak to the entire class, to you only? etc.

thanks!
disneynut is offline   Reply With Quote

rebeccav

Thank you
Old 08-06-2010, 08:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

for this post! I hate reading logs and feel like they are just one more thing to do for everyone involved. I feel validated and will be getting rid of reading logs too! Besides parker idea is anyone going to do anything and how will you explain to parents?
rebeccav is offline   Reply With Quote

parker

Book Talk
Old 08-06-2010, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I try to keep it casual and more authentic, as if you and I were talking about a good book you read. Once a student finishes a book they go to the bulletin board in my room where I have the snapshots posted for various genre. The snapshots are in pockets and they choose the one that matches the genre of the book they read. (If you looked at the pictures of my room, I use to have them on the back of the door, but I didn't like them there, so I redesigned the display and moved them to a bulletin board.) During independent reading time, students fill out the snapshot when they have completed reading a book, bring it to me and we confer and discuss the book. I can assess their level of comprehension, etc at this time. I plan for a couple of minutes the next day during independent reading time for students to share their snapshots and I do mean just a couple of minutes, maybe 1-2. The students can use the snapshot they filled out to help them remember details. I don't let other students ask questions about the book at that time because it would eat up all their independent reading time. The snapshots are posted in a designated spot in our room and students are free to go over and read them before making their next book choice. By the end of the year, snapshots are everywhere.

Students who chose to read a book someone else has already snapshotted/booktalked (?) still fill out a snapshot, have a conference with me, but don't do a book talk.

I give students a 1 page reading log for the year, on the front they simply list title, author, genre, date completed, and I think this year I'll let them rate the book, 1-5 stars, because there is just nothing else a 5th grader loves to do than give their opinion about something. On the back, they can list books they think they might like to read based on the book talks they here and other's snapshots. The log stays in the classroom.

I do not take credit for the content of the snapshots, I saw something similar and adapted them to fit my student's needs and I'm sorry I cannot give credit to the person who inspired me.
I read lots of kids books over the summer and I complete a snapshot for each genre which I then use at the beginning of the year to model the level of response I expect from the students for both the snapshots and booktalks.

When I moved away from reading logs, my lower grade level colleagues were not happy, but since it didn't really effect them, well.... Now, they don't do reading logs either.
I explained my ideas and rationale to my prince and she didn't have a problem with it at all. I work in a K-12 school and the only one upset was the middle school language arts teacher because she does the whole daily reading log deal, title, author, genre, response to the reading, time spent reading, pages read, parent signature, assigning points, counting it as part of the students grade, and dealing out consequences for incomplete logs. She spends enormous amounts of time nagging kids and parents about the reading logs, which I frankly think is a waste. She wanted me to keep doing it because it would get the kids "ready for middle school". I don't see that as my job.
My students enjoy the snapshots and book talks and no one enjoyed reading logs. When parents and visitors come to our classroom they enjoy finding and reading the students snapshots.

I hope I explained enough so this makes sense, or maybe it's way more than you ever wanted.

MrsJ

Maybe make it a choice?
Old 08-06-2010, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I totally agree that, for the most part, the kids who are going to read will read, no matter what. It's a district requirement that they read for a certain number of minutes a night, but nobody says they have to do a log. I'm thinking of asking parents to choose, while letting them know it's an expectation: either just sign off at the beginning of the year that they know it's required but would rather not fill in a reading calendar, or they could have a reading calendar if they chose to. Some parents might want it because their kids might not read "if they don't have to." Or, just inform the parents at back-to-school night that it's a requirement, and we are going to assume that they are reading.

Our librarian had a neat idea- she had the primary classes fill in circles with the title and author of books they read, and then used them to make "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" that reached all around the library by the end of the year. Maybe that would be a happy compromise- without me keeping track, they could write the title and author on a precut construction paper shape, and I could somehow display all the books they've read. I could just make it a book worm. The work would be cutting the circles and hanging them up. hmmmm.... That could be cute.
MrsJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Susan Teacher

If it's like my son's....
Old 08-06-2010, 09:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

instrument practice record, then I say it's useless. He practices some, but not every night. He has to have these records in for a grade. So he just makes it up and I sign it...I know, I know, I am terrible, especially being a teacher and all. But he doesn't need to practice every night, he's been playing the dang viola for four years. He knows how to play the viola!!

Reading, on the other hand, is different than the practice record. Just because you already know how to read doesn't mean you don't have to read anymore. But, I bet that many of my students have just written something down and said, "Here, sign this." Parent says, "Did you read?" Kid replies, "Yep." And the deed is done.

I say NO MORE READING LOGS for me this year. I will, as others have stated, try my best to let my kids know the importance of reading daily and trust that they do this. I think I will even come up with some kind of letter to the parents about it. I know there will be some who will look for the log and even question why I am not requiring one. I will post a copy of the letter if I remember.

Hope everyone has a SUPER school year!

=)S
Susan Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Susan Teacher

I just read some of the blog...
Old 08-06-2010, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

from the first post and some folks are going a little overboard. Parents thinking they have the right to tell me what to do as a teacher because they pay my salary as tax payers? Ah, no...I got my degree and I know how to teach. I continue my education through the REQUIRED staff development...heck, I even borrowed money to get my masters. I get judged by my administrators on observations and on surprise walk-throughs by central office staff. Thanks, but no, you won't be telling me how to run my classroom.

Wait, how about we make a deal...maybe, you tell me how you think I should run my classroom and then you pull up a chair so I can tell you how to raise your child!

We are all accountable to these students. Some parents are more "into" their children's education...some teachers are better than other teachers. Why argue back and forth, the people who are really going to suffer are the children.

Just my two cents worth...

=)S
Susan Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tonya0581

crazy!!!
Old 08-06-2010, 09:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Some of those posts on that website are crazy!!!!! I can't believe the nerve of some parents saying..."we're not doing this!"

I think I am going to take that snapshot idea and the hungry caterpillar idea and create something

I have some reading activity cards that I would like students to use in their nightly reading. Maybe they can have 4 activity cards per quarter and somehow put them on a construction paper Lilly pad! (frog themed room). I could have these go around the room each quarter???

Something fun for the kiddos and not "here mom, sign this...did you read??? Yup...ok"

Tonya0581

Parker
Old 08-06-2010, 09:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Do you have more attachments for your genre snapshots???

parker

Fiction Snapshot
Old 08-06-2010, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

OK, I'll post the ones I have on this thread. I may have changed them up a little since the older post.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Fiction Bk. Snapshot.doc (21.0 KB, 425 views)

parker

Non-fiction Snapshot
Old 08-06-2010, 11:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Non-fiction
Attached Files
File Type: doc Nonfiction Bk. Snapshot.doc (21.5 KB, 193 views)

parker

Historical Fiction Snapshot
Old 08-06-2010, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Historical Fiction
Attached Files
File Type: doc Historical Fiction Book Snapshot .doc (21.0 KB, 213 views)

parker

Mystery/Suspense Snapshot
Old 08-06-2010, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Mystery/Suspense
Attached Files
File Type: doc Mystery Snapshot.doc (21.5 KB, 221 views)

parker

Science Fiction Snapshot
Old 08-06-2010, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Science Fiction Snapshot
Attached Files
File Type: doc Science Fiction Book Snapshot .doc (22.0 KB, 198 views)

parker

Myth and Tall Tales
Old 08-06-2010, 11:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I need to make snapshots for these because they are required in our standards, I just haven't done it yet. I'll work on them and post them when I'm done. Might take a couple of days.

disneynut

Thank you Parker!
Old 08-06-2010, 12:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I am so excited to use these snapshots this coming school year! Thank you for explaining your method of using these.

I also like your idea of the "book log," where the students write down the title etc, date started and date completed. We use AR in our building and I think I will add AR points achieved.

Ideas like all of these make me excited to go back to school! Wait, did I really say that??
disneynut is offline   Reply With Quote

travlnjen

Pizza Hut Book It Program
Old 08-06-2010, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I participated in this program for a couple of years when I taught 4-6, and I always felt bad for the "condoned fibbing" that occurred with several students. I haven't used book logs since.

I do think there is good reason for students to keep a record of the books they have read, if only for the sense of accomplishment it gives those kids who are reluctant readers.
travlnjen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tonya0581

Old 08-06-2010, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

thank you thank you thank you parker

mohawk

Parker
Old 08-06-2010, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Thanks for posting your snapshots. I am convinced now, too, to do away with reading logs and will incorporate your ideas to hep make my kids accountable.
mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote

parker

Myth Snapshot
Old 08-06-2010, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Myth Snapshot
Attached Files
File Type: doc Myth Snapshot.doc (23.0 KB, 172 views)

parker

Tall Tale Snapshot
Old 08-06-2010, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Tall Tale Snapshot

If you got this far, I copy each of these on different colors of papers. I can tell at a glance if students are reading a variety of genre. I use yellow for fiction, pink for mystery, green for science fiction, etc.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Tall Tale Snapshot.doc (22.0 KB, 165 views)

Ladybug03

What????
Old 08-06-2010, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

Okay...

I read the posts about reading logs and "doing away with them." I saw from the comments that many teachers were in agreement of not doing them.

Every teacher is entitled to do what works best for his/her classroom. I do book logs, but it isn't a nightly thing where students log their time, etc... I feel if it is structured correctly (not overkill) reading logs or book logs can be a good thing. I think this is true for any homework that is assigned.

The main thing that I was completely taken back by was the blog about stopping homework that was posted. I thought the comments the parent(s) made were extremely rude. Sending a letter to the teacher and instructing her what you will and will not do????? What is that teaching your children???? Oh if I don't want to do something mom or dad will get me out of it or try to???? Where's the respect?

I guess I was very disappointed by the comments on that blog. Why would someone use their time setting up a blog bashing homework and being so disgrunttled with teachers? How about using your time in a more postive way??? I wonder how many volunteer hours these parents have logged in the classroom??? I'm thinking.....zip.... since they are not in favor of "logging" anything!

I guess my main point is this... We (teachers) work so hard in our classrooms getting prepared for our students. Just reading PT can show you that. After all of that planning, supplies being purchased, hours and hours of setting up the classroom, and not receiving the amount of pay we should, to have the type of attitude expressed on that blog is ridiculous. I wouldn't base a decision on how I want to do something in my classroom from comments on that blog.

Those that read the blog what did you think? Am I alone here? I just cannot support that type of attitude toward education.

Just my opinion. Just expressing it like others have done.
Ladybug03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tonya0581

I agree!
Old 08-06-2010, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

I so agree with you 100%! I would NEVER let my parents tell me what their child can or cannot do. What I took from that blog was the fact of getting reading logs to make reading more inviting and less like a chore.
OH!!!

OH!!!

Secret Garden
Old 01-04-2011, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

I agree!!!!!
OH!!!!

OH!!!!

Fudge
Old 01-04-2011, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

I agree I can tell when they try to copy their parents sign
Moses16

Moses16

I Hate Reading Logs So Much
Old 01-17-2011, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

I'm a student, and we are required to fill out a reading log every week. We have to read 30 minutes, and then write a summary about what we read. Normally, I don't have a problem with writing about what I read, but I love to read, and just sitting down with a book for a few hours is something I do on a regular basis. So after I'm done with my reading, I have to go back and figure out how much I read in 30 minutes, and write about only that section of the book. It's really annoying and it makes me feel like whenever I read I know it won't just be for fun, and other people in my class feel the same way. I also thinks it's unfair for a parent to have to sign EVERY ENTRY! I mean, that's annoying for the parents, and if you're so worried that people aren't actually reading, it's really dumb to ask a parent to confirm it. I know my parents don't pay attention to how long I read or what's in the books. I could easily make it all up. I usually have more to say, but I have to go fill out some reading logs right now.

kellysms1

Thanks for the snapshots
Old 01-21-2011, 08:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

I am a 1st year teacher and have had a lot of trouble with reading logs. This is a great idea. I can't wait to try it.
Thanks again!!!!!
kellysms1 is offline   Reply With Quote

aylaisabeau

Snapshot Thank You
Old 08-22-2011, 05:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

I was told a week before school started that instead of teaching Spanish (for the last 11 years), I am going to teach Language Arts. I did major in Spanish and Language Arts 11 years ago, but I have never taught it. These snapshots are perfect for me. Just one less thing to worry about creating. Wish me luck this year. It's been a week and I like it, but just wished I had more tiime to prepare curriculum.
aylaisabeau is offline   Reply With Quote