The Kissing Hand - ProTeacher Community

ABCand123s

The Kissing Hand
Old 08-12-2010, 09:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I like to read The Kissing Hand on the first day of school. Does anyone have an activity that would be good to go along with it? TIA!

ABCand123s is offline   Reply With Quote

wgirl

Kissing Hand Poem & Activity
Old 08-12-2010, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have students make a hand print on paper (use a large stamp pad) and put a tiny red heart sticker on the hand print. I print on the paper this poem:

It's my first day of school
And "The Kissing Hand" is what we read.
It's about a raccoon
Who did just as his parents said.

Like the raccoon's first day at school
I was scared and a little shy.
But because of what you said
I was brave and I got by.

All through the year
I'll make more things for you.
So as I change and as I learn
You can see my growth, too!

I also list the date of the first day of school. This is an easy and fast project to do on the first day while the students are in their centers.
wgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

playpower

The Kissing Hand
Old 08-13-2010, 02:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I use the poem wgirl posted and I also do a cooking activity. Since it's the first day, I keep it very simple: roll out sugar cookie dough! Use a hand shaped cutter, bake as directed and put a Hershey's kiss in the middle when they are cooling down. I take a picture of each child with their cookie and create a class book with the child's name labeling their picture. The first few weeks of school I send both the class book and The Kissing Hand home in a bag along with a stuffed raccoon. The children love it and it's a great way to learn their classmate's names.
playpower is offline   Reply With Quote

BusyOne

Kissing Hand tour
Old 08-13-2010, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I also read The Kissing Hand the first day of school. I bake handprint cookies with a heart in the middle at home. Then sometime after reading the story, we look at the book again, but this time a note falls out from Chester. We read the note and follow footprints from one note to another. The notes lead us around the school to meet some of the important people in our school, like the librarian, gym teacher, lunch ladies, principal, etc. At the end the trail leads back to our room where Chester has left us a plate of cookie treats. YUM!
BusyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Karyn

Karyn

Kissing Hand
Old 08-16-2010, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It might be a little late for this year, but maybe you can do this next year: I read the Kissing Hand as part of my pre-school year open house (or could be used for home visits). The parents and kids then worked together to create this activity: the parent's hand was traced on white paper, then glued to a choice of color piece of contruction paper. The child then painted their hand and created a "print" inside the parent's cut out. They then wrote "Mommy (or Dadddy, or Grandma, etc) and "child's name" on the paper. On the first day of school the pictures will be waiting in their cubbies with a heart sticker. The parent and child will place the heart on the hand print together before the parent leaves. This gave the anxious kids (and parents) something to look forward to on the first day and helped with the seperation. We then posted the pictures on a board under a Bible verse (we're a Christian school) that read "See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands".

k1teach

Old 08-28-2010, 01:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hope this helps. I use publishers and copy and paste activities from makinglearningfun.com

Great website
Attached Files
File Type: pub kissinghand.pub (278.5 KB, 111 views)
k1teach is offline   Reply With Quote