writers notebook - ProTeacher Community

chalk_talk

writers notebook
Old 08-15-2010, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I use writing folders with my first grade students for UOS writers workshop. I know some second/third grade and older have also used writers notebooks. Has anyone used this notebook idea with first graders? I thought a notebook might be a "practice" or "try-it" spot for that point in the mini-lesson when you want students to try something on their own. I'm not sure if firsties are ready to do this. What do you think? Thanks so much for your help.

chalk_talk is offline   Reply With Quote

singsong

Interested
Old 08-15-2010, 12:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am interested in this idea. I think, if trained properly, 1st graders could handle it. I think it could work well as a resource for them to look back on and also for the teacher to use when conferring. It would be helpful if they could label their "try-its", perhaps sticky notes?My colleague has used Reader's Response notebooks successfully for the past 2 years and I'm considering this for this year, but I have similar worries-can they handle it?
singsong is offline   Reply With Quote

singsong

From another member
Old 08-15-2010, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In reading more posts in this room, I found a post you may be interested in. The thread is titled the same as yours and was posted by BeachBumTeach. Not sure how to add a link, or maybe I can't yet b/c I'm still "new" to PT. Here's what it says:

I use writing folders too. I've tried a writer's notebook but found that only the most advanced writers used them well. This issue came up recently on another board I visit. Someone posted this.

Quote:
I just returned from the Calkins Writing Institute at Columbia U., and Lucy made a comment about not using writers' notebooks with second graders

In Guiding K-3 Writers to Independence by Scharer and Pinnell, the authors recommend beginning a traditional writer's notebook at grade 3 (pp. 95-97, 251).
singsong is offline   Reply With Quote

chalk_talk

writers notebook and reader response bk
Old 08-15-2010, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks so much for doing the research on this one! I've used a reader response journal (for example, I pose questions to draw out responses to our shared reading; it has worked fairly well - especially, when students pair off after writing to share their opinions and drawings and it has helped to develop a common point of reference for our reading.). This summer I bought 25cent composition bks - maybe I'll use them as "try-it" books and then see who might be interested and capable of doing more. Not sure how this will go. I appreciate your comments.

Jule

Yikes! Please explain
Old 08-17-2010, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've read so many things about ww I'm getting overwhelmed and confused.

This is what I am thinking. Am I right?

The writer's notebook is a binder with dividers and sections for the different stages of a writing project.

The writer's folder is a 3 prong folder with notebook paper. No dividers?

The writer's journal is a composition book - or is that a writer's notebook? In which case, what do you call the binder.

Lucy says second graders shouldn't use the notebooks. What does she suggest? The folders? Doesn't she advocate for the paper with just two lines rather that 3 lines with one dotted. What paper do you use in early 2nd?

Jule is offline   Reply With Quote

chalk_talk

notebook binder folder confusion
Old 08-18-2010, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I teach first grade and I use "writing folders" - 3-prong portfolio, no dividers, and we use "special" writing paper with empty space on the top for pictures.
I've seen writer's notebooks mentioned - composition bks used to "jot down" ideas, save thoughts, try out different writing ideas (I was wondering if that would work in 1st grade - I'm still not sure.)
I think that the notebook differs from the journal if students make "diary-like" entries in a journal (?).
I've also seen grade levels 3 and up keep notebook/binders with labeled sections (I KNOW I'm not attempting that one in first grade!)
I agree, it gets very confusing. I think that sometimes we just have to try it out and see if it works with our own students in our own classes.
Good luck!

Jul313

Old 08-22-2010, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Hope I can help.

The writer's notebook is a composition type notebook. While it can be set up several ways, I have used it with two sections. The front of the notebook is for collecting ideas. Often this personal narratives, and the children write in these almost everyday at home and school. In the back, this section is used for follow-up to mini-lessons. Making a list of first times I did something and last times, revision strategies, and forth.

Then when the children are ready to take a seed idea, they move their idea out of the notebook and work on drafting the pieces. Often these pieces are saved in a folder. One side labeled still working on this and the other side finished for now. At the end of the unit, I collect everything, and place that in a hanging folder for the kids to look through for best words at the end of the year to send to the next grade.

One little tweek I'm going to try this year in a binder. Last year I had handouts that were lost in the shuffled. I'm going to try and have a writing binder. I'll hole bunch the folder to fit in the binder, but I'll have a place for the handouts as well. I'll use dividers for collection ideas, organization, elaboration, revision, and grammar. We'll see if it works. It's amazing how we are always trying to find a way to do it better.
Jul313 is offline   Reply With Quote