Help

ARCHIVE

Student Newspaper (5th Grade)

>

kwh

Student Newspaper (5th Grade)
Old 12-06-2006, 07:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am reading The Landry News (A. Clements) with my students and they have become inspired to start a student-run school newspaper. I'm all for it and willing to supervise. Do any of you do this? Any tips for managing it smoothly and efficiently - while staying kid focused - would be appreciated!

This is what I'm planning so far...
- a trip to the local newspaper where they do a great presentation on running a real newspaper
- guest speakers who are reporters/editors to answer questions for the kids and offer advice
- an application to be on the newspaper staff, where students will get the chance to fill out a real application and be interviewed for key positions (editors, etc.) - one child has already said that he's working on his resume!
- creating timelines
- brainstorming as a "staff" what we would like for features

Thank you in advance! You all have the best ideas and advice! <!--CHRISTMAS1-->

kwh is offline   Reply With Quote

Ashleybrooke

I've done this!
Old 12-06-2006, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Last year my fifth grade class and I made two newspapers as part of a nine week unit. We took a field trip to the local np office and watched them work/run the presses. After the field trip we planned our release date (one month from that date.) We divided into two teams- editorial and informational. (For the second newspaper unit, we switched.)

The students then thought about articles that would interest our readers (Pre-K through 5th, teachers, staff, administration, parents.) Each group had an article which we believed would interest them. Some of our "regular features" were:

Student of the Month interviews
Polls
"Meet the Teacher" (for our new staff)
Ask ____________ (an advice column)
Craft of the month (corresponded with an upcoming holiday)
Safety tips
Movie reviews

We modeled our np after the Mini Page that many newspapers receive.

In all honesty, the unit was one of the most taxing I have experienced, (it does not help that it was the first nine weeks of my teaching experience ever!) but it was also one of the most authentic and rewarding.
Ashleybrooke is offline   Reply With Quote