My class won't stop talking - ProTeacher Community

sohappy

My class won't stop talking
Old 08-24-2010, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a very chatty group this year. I teach second and have used every trick I know to get them to stop talking. I have a noise level chart, group points, mystery worker, taken minutes away for too much talking during independent time and use the clip chart. I can't get them to quiet down. I've never had a class that wouldn't stop talking! I feel so frustrated! Does anyone have any other suggestions or ideas that will help?

sohappy is offline   Reply With Quote

teachlife

just a thought
Old 08-24-2010, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My advice would be to pick one method of dealing with it and be consistent. The kids notice when you don't do what you say and you get frustrated and change your way of dealing. It may not work right away but just be consistent.
teachlife is offline   Reply With Quote

teachersd

I hope someone
Old 08-24-2010, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

has some advice, because I am in the same boat! We put something away they talk, we take something out they talk, we line up they talk, we have RW mini lesson, they talk. I need some advice too!!
teachersd is offline   Reply With Quote

MRSM&M

I know what you mean
Old 08-24-2010, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

my kids will not be quiet. I've tried everything too........last year's group, same way. I'm wondering if this isn't more of a societal/parental thing nowadays. Kids sit in front of a TV or play video games nonstop. They aren't interacting or playing. The TV and games is a babysitter. I think they don't get taught to RESPECT adults any more. They could care less if I'm talking or instructing. They fool around, play with stuff, get out of their seat, etc. I'm a good teacher, but just don't get this. I don't just do paper and pencil stuff either that is boring. I try to get them actively involved in games and partnet share type things, projects, etc. Sorry this turned into a problem rather than a solution. But feel better to know that you're not the only one.
MRSM&M is offline   Reply With Quote

jerseykate

Old 08-24-2010, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I don't know if this will work for your group or not, but I teach a very chatty 4th grade class (well last year). My students are given "Jungle Bucks" for things, one of the things being working quietly and staying on task. When my students are working independently on an assignment or even with pairs or groups, I tell them before they start that I will be looking for a good worker. The student or students are then awarded Jungle Bucks at the end of the assignment. The students anxiously await to see who was the best worker(s). I don't do this all the time, but the students beg for me to do it all the time.

This all started when they were being noisy waiting in line for bathroom break. Then the students wanted me to use it in the classroom. So I guess I can't even take credit for coming up with it.

jerseykate is offline   Reply With Quote

DoxieTeacher

Old 08-24-2010, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Be consistent. When they are chatty, stop and re-teach procedures. Model, model, model. Re-teach procedures over and over.

I often would say that I have to get through this schedule today. If we miss recess, so be it, as I have to teach this.

When I taught older kids I kept a running timer. They lost the minutes for talking out of turn and such. When Fun Friday rolled around, I would use those minutes for either copying an essay about behavior or I would teach a lesson. They knew they could be playing instead. This curved behavior real quick.
DoxieTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

rhubarb

Agree with Doxie
Old 08-24-2010, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Yup. If you say it, mean it. I bought a traffic light chart pocket and it works magic. They don't really believe I will move their "person" to yellow... watch me. I give one verbal warning and then I move it. I saw the method on someone's site years ago. At the end of the day they draw and color a circle for whatever traffic light in their folders which go home nightly.

Watch! I will get the loudest class ever this year for typing this. Or, Lord help me, the class I had two year ago.
I agree to choose a method and stick to it. Consistency and coming through each and every time is what has worked for me.
rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote

steelcitymom

Old 08-24-2010, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Don't remember where I saw this(maybe here) but someone said to get a dog training clicker. Call it the "mute button" and make a game out of turning them off.
steelcitymom is offline   Reply With Quote

Giraffiesauru

Back up
Old 08-24-2010, 11:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

to the beginning and reteach transitions. have them practice until they get it right. If they understand that you will not accept anything but the correct procedure, they will do it. If you are inconsistent and try to teach over the talking, etc. they will interpret it as not important to you.

Do you remind them before the transition about what the expectation is? In the early days of the year, I often have the kids "try it again" by putting their books back on their desks, review the quiet transition procedure, then do it again until they get it right. Lots of repetition in the beginning, but worth it.
Giraffiesauru is offline   Reply With Quote

MollyJ.

This sounds like my class 2 years ago!
Old 08-25-2010, 02:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Tell them you are glad they like to talk, because talking about learning helps them understand better. Make a chart about "learning talk" and "distracting talk" - what it looks like & sounds like. Assign them an appropriate "talking partner" and have them sit beside that partner at their desks and at the carpet. It helps if one partner is A and one is B, then you can say "As talk first, Bs listen first." But rotate that! They will complain otherwise

As you start each lesson, remind them that there will be times to talk and times to listen, and that you know they can handle the listening times. Before the lesson/story, have them activate their schema by sharing what they already know about the topic. Pause several times during your lesson to have them ask a wonder question, or share something they learned, or make a connection to the topic. After, have them reflect on the lesson.

You will need to practice and model appropriate learning conversations. My first grade class last year could even manage to whisper their ideas WHILE I was reading a story without disrupting others. You will start out with a fractured lesson with so many interruptions, but if you gradually build their listening stamina with longer listening times between talking times, I'm sure they will improve. Good luck!
MollyJ. is offline   Reply With Quote

terinzak

Old 08-25-2010, 03:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have this same problem! My asst. principal says to put all the talkers together at one table. Heap positive praise on those tables who are quiet (points etc). If there's an extra recess for the non talkers (because they've earned it), then the talkers sit on the curb and write what the class rules are. Eventually one of the talkers will catch on and peer pressure will do the rest I'm trying it today!
terinzak is offline   Reply With Quote

Ms. Teacher#1

Old 08-25-2010, 10:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

terinzak- I like the way that sounds. Let us know how that goes after awhile.
Ms. Teacher#1 is offline   Reply With Quote

sunflwr508

I love...
Old 08-25-2010, 02:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

the idea of grouping the talkers together and rewarding the others. I also love the idea of the mute button with the dog clicker. I will have to try these, I am so tired of repeating myself over and over...and it's the THIRD day of school!
sunflwr508 is offline   Reply With Quote

tiggerfan

Absolutely Nothing
Old 08-25-2010, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Absolutely Nothing worked for me a few years ago with my 5th graders and I went the entire year being so frustrated. As I look back now, I jumped from method to method, and never stuck with any one method long enough to let it sink in. I also did not start the year practicing over and over, and then when I thought I had done it enough, over and over some more. I've never made that mistake again and haven't had a bad year since. Stick to your choice, whatever it will be. There are a lot of programs out there, and you need to pick the one that you will actually do. If you pick one that is uncomfortable or awkward for you, guess what? You won't stick to it for very long. So, the long and short of it, pick one, and stick to it.
tiggerfan is offline   Reply With Quote

StarfishBeach

I'm trying this....
Old 08-25-2010, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I'm in the same (sinking!) boat this year! i do two whole class type rewards. i was beginning to feel like the majority of my class (those that know how to stay quiet and when to talk) were suffering because of the talkers. I don't like that. So what I started doing was continuing to hand out the "team points" and "learning treats" incentives when the majority of the students were doing the right thing. The habitual offenders (ie. talkers!) have their names written on a list called "NO treat/treasure box". Even if their team acquires the required amount of points to earn treasure box THEY will NOT, same for the learning treat reward. They can certainly earn their way off this list with some hard work and quietness!! I'm sure once the rest of the class gets something and they don't they will reconsider their actions...at least I hope!!
StarfishBeach is offline   Reply With Quote

amigurumi

I hear ya, sister!
Old 08-25-2010, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I am new to first grade, and yesterday I was so darn frustrated with my VERY chatty class. I went to my first grade teacher colleague and she told me what PPs have said----back up, model the behavior, go over the rules and cosequences and stick to it. I use the clip chart. We spent the whole day today as if it were the first day of school. We went over the rules, consequences, proper procedures for various activities, etc. They have ice cream time at 2:00 on Wednesdays and guess what? I just quit talking and teaching when I heard voices or saw someone fiddling and not listening. I told them that I would not continue until everyone was doing the right thing and if we didn't get through our math lesson on time, no ice cream. I had to stop multiple times and we did miss our ice cream time. I will continue this until it sinks in. Good luck to you and I am sure by now you know that you are definitely NOT a bad teacher and are NOT the only one with this problem. Sheeesh, kids nowadays!!
amigurumi is online now   Reply With Quote

Teacher Gal

I have the
Old 08-25-2010, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

relatives of your class members. We are still working on procedures after 3 weeks, but things ARE getting better. I have a classroom economy system, and I have started charging rule breakers for talking out of turn - and rewarding non rule breakers with the money from the rule breakers. Money talks or maybe I should Money stops talking!
Teacher Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Leslie67

Leslie67

Can this work for middle schoolers?
Old 11-28-2010, 11:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I am teaching sixth grade in a middle school combined high school this year. I have the chattiest class around. What I am flabbergasted by is that they will talk during my lessons! I have tried everything from rewards, to lunch detention, time loss for lunch, calls home, behavior sheets, etc. They do not seem to care about losing things. We have a positive discipline system and they don't even care if they lose parties! I have tried giving them time for talk, but they take advantage of it and also in my class there is a lot of bullying going on, and this causes fighting, etc. I really have to pull teeth to get a lesson done or reading. During reading they make fun of each other all the time. I have tried "popcorn reading," etc. I am teaching inner city so these kids have a lot of issues. Many have only one parent, some have foster parents. They just seem to want to talk all the time. I was not ready for such lack of social skills and rudeness. I have tried doing plays with them, and they love them but some don't and try to ruin it for the rest. I did start a drama club during lunch recess for those that want it, but I am still clueless as what to do during the school day. I have thrown out all my previous philosophies. I used to think you absolutely had to stay away from "mentioning teaching," but I am finding myself doing it more and more because they just will not listen to instructions. I am currently trying to get a handle on the bullying too. We had a speaker come in, but they were rude to him too. I really want to make a difference in this school, but how can I start them listening? How can I get them to work cooperatively together? I tried having them work in teams to get to know one another, but they just created a lot more "hate," things. I am curious about your "traffic signal chart," how does it work? I am thinking maybe if I had something like that I could just change the colors for a child without interrupting my lesson, right now I have to stop to put checks on the board. Any help????
Takteach

Takteach

4th grade teacher
Old 03-07-2011, 01:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

What do they get with the "jungle bucks?" Why do we have to bribe our kids into being respectful?
im ajjnsierj

im ajjnsierj

i got it
Old 06-16-2011, 11:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

get the principle to yell at them but not be too harsh there second graders i meen seriously have a quit game and whoever is quiet the longest wins and they get an awesome prize it always works