Fed up with my mother - ProTeacher Community

signing out

signing out

Fed up with my mother
Old 08-26-2010, 01:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am really fed up with my mother! She seems to think me being a divorced single mom is the worst thing in the world. She favors my daughter(age 9) over my 2 nieces (age 7 and 10). And I've started seeing how my nieces feel slighted and are growing to resent my daughter. They've started seeing the favortism. My mother is hurting DD more than she thinks she is helping. Mom keeps on saying how DD comes from a "broken home" and needs more attention. I hate the term "broken home". Her dad and I are divorced, but our family isn't broken.

DD still has all the family she originally had. My exhusband is still very much a part of DD's life so DD isn't lacking on having family. Her dad lives 15 minutes away and DD sees her dad at least every other weekend, sometimes more. She still has a close relationship with her paternal grandparents and aunts, uncles, & cousins on that side. DD is always being invited over to spend time with her dad's family.

Mom coddles DD and is always making comments about how sorry she feels for her cause my ex and I are divorced. Mom just can't seem to see that yes we are divorced but we both are still parents to DD. There's no reason to go overboard spoiling DD just cause she has parents that are divorced. Mom is always asking to take DD places, and never invites my nieces. I finally stood up to her and told her she needs to invite all her grandkids or my nieces will grow up not to like Mom very much. Favoring a child just makes me so angry. Of course I love DD and want her to be loved, but I don't want others such as my nieces to grow up to resent her cause of Mom's favoritism. Mom acts as if my nieces don't even need her cause my sister and brother in law are married. All kids need grandparents.

ecsmom

Old 08-26-2010, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Regareding divorce and the term broken home. I loved the line from Grace under Fire when Grace told her DD's teacher something like-Our home isn't broken, My marriage was broken but I fixed it by getting a divorce. Not an exact quote but you get the idea. Loved that show!

I agree that your mom's favortism is not in your DD's best interest. It has happened in our family too. My MIL favors my niece and nephew because their parents are divorced. It was especially bad at Christmas. My children also noticed it. I just had to explain why she had that attitude so that my kids wouildn;t think they were loved less. Good luck with your situation.

klarabelle

Old 08-26-2010, 08:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That is so sad, maybe you should not allow your DD to go anywhere with GM until she invites her other GC. I know it isn't your DD's fault, but be sure you let her know that what GM is doing is not right and that her cousins are just as important as DD is and that you love them very much.