States of Matter - ProTeacher Community

laurenta

States of Matter
Old 08-28-2010, 05:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I would like to see what activities everyone does to teach the states of Matter. I have made ooblek before and ice cream. I would like to have something else.... maybe even something that can be displayed for Open House which is creeping up on me already. Thanks!

laurenta is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Solid/Liquid/Gas
Old 08-28-2010, 09:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I place an ice cube inside a snack size baggie for each student. I ask each student to identify if it a solid, a liquid or a gas. Then I ask if they can change this solid to a liquid or gas. They always say liquid first.

We have a race to see who can melt their cube the fastest. I tell them the bag must stay closed and they may not put it in their mouths. They usually get the idea to go outside in the sun as we live in Texas and it is very hot outside this time of year. (We do matter at the beginning of the school year too.) So I have the rest of our supplies ready to go outdoors.

I tell the students to come show me when their solid has become a liquid. After they have water in their baggie I tell them to open it up and I drop in a half tablet of generic Alka Seltzer and then "zip" the baggie closed for them. I tell them to shake it gently and watch what happens.

It will start to expand from the gas. I ask them what is happening? They quickly realize it is gas. They can see that gas really does take up space and they love the balloon effect.

I have never had a baggie burst. Some students do not seem to get as much gas and are disappointed if their baggie does not get large, so I give them another half tablet.

They love this experiment!
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

starsndaisies

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2010, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for the experiment. I also do matter at the beginning of the year and was struggling with ideas for the three forms of matter. Thanks again! : )
starsndaisies is offline   Reply With Quote

JMonty

Bread and butter!
Old 08-28-2010, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I bring my bread machine in and buy a box of bread mix. I mix the box mix and water in the bread machine compartment and then my students can watch the dough mixing and rising. I time it so that the bread is done after lunch. We talk about how the yeast makes carbon dioxide bubbles and thats what makes the dough rise. This is a chemical change. We study the 3 states of matter as an intro to chemistry. Then I also buy whipping cream and we pour it in a clear jar and shake it 100 times per student until it is the consistency of butter. The liquid turns into a solid and this is a physical change. We then watch the Magic School Bus dvd Ready, Set, Dough while I cut the bread into pieces and they can choose whether to put butter on it or not. It's always a big hit and it smells great!
JMonty is offline   Reply With Quote

michris43

vinegar and baking soda
Old 08-28-2010, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

OMG-my first graders loved this! we talked about the 3 states of matter and I slowly went thru this with them. vinegar in a bottle, soda in a balloon, and then the kids wrap the balloon around the top of the bottle and when i say go they lift up the balloon so the soda falls into the vinegar. They LOVE to see the balloon expand, so surprised! It is one of those moments you love when you see the kids loving something!

michris43 is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 08-29-2010, 01:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

What a great experiment!! That's so cool and easy! I need easy things....

I usually let my kids play with playdoh for matter.....
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote

laurenta

great
Old 08-29-2010, 05:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I love the balloon and vinegar experiment! I could see the excitement in their eyes just reading your post!
laurenta is offline   Reply With Quote

Kat's Mom

Something to display....
Old 08-29-2010, 10:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We fold a large sheet of construction paper in half the "hotdog" way. Then, split 1/2 of the sheet into thirds w/ scissors. We label the flaps, solid, liquid, gas. We then trace a circle underneath each flap and glue split peas into the circles, a lot of them for solid, some for liquid, and a sparse few for gas. We also write examples of ea. state above the circles, on the back side of the flaps we labeled S, L, G. I hope it makes sense. It shows them the difference in density among the 3 states of matter. I actually do it within my sound unit when we are learning about which state of matter sound travels through best and why....
Kat's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Becca4

Experiment
Old 08-29-2010, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I was going to say the vinegar/baking soda balloon experiment but I see something has already shared this. It is a lot of fun! My kids always love it!
Becca4 is offline   Reply With Quote