Word work in 4th grade - ProTeacher Community

hsday

Word work in 4th grade
Old 08-28-2010, 08:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

THere are a lot of great posts on D5 for younger grades, but very few for 4th grade and up. This is my first year teaching 4th grade and I have never done D5 before. I have launched the read to self, read to others, and listen to reading so now I'm ready to move on. The problem is that I don't know what kind of word work to do with fourth graders.

Ideas?
Suggestions?
Please?

hsday is offline   Reply With Quote

ELArocks

4th grade word work
Old 08-29-2010, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach 4th grade, too. This will be my 2nd year of doing D5. I tend to use this time to allow my kids to practice their spelling words. I have different bins in my room that my kids can choose from...stencils and markers, scrabble tiles, dried beans, white boards/markers. They use all of these materials to practice their words. I also use this time to have them practice vocabulary words that either we as a class are working on or words that they have in their word collector (if you are doing CAFE). I have them keep their word collectors in their reading notebooks to collect unfamiliar and interesting words that they come across during read to self. I typically have them use the Frayer Model graphic organizer to practice these words. Another thing you could have them do during this time is work on word sorts. If you can get your hands on a copy of the Words Their Way book, there are a lot of great sorts in the back that are appropriate for this grade. Hope that helps!
ELArocks is offline   Reply With Quote

mbs79

Much of the Same
Old 08-29-2010, 01:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach 4th grade as well. We've yet to start this year, but Word Work has always been a part of my reading routine. There are many similarities between what is done in the primary grades and what you can do in your classroom. First, if you still use spelling words, use those words for the activities. If not, use vocabulary or word wall words. From there, you can have the students do many activities. From my understanding and experience, word work is all about exposure to many words and reinforcing the sounds and spelling in a more exciting way. Here are a few of the activities I have done in the past.
Rainbow Words: Students write the words in ROYBIV order. Each letter gets a different color.
Staircase: c
ca
cat
Using stamps
Ransom Words: Students cut out the letters from a magazine.
Use the words in a story or a poem.
Make words using the letters from each word in the word list.

Another idea that I love to do is called Top 10. The idea is that the students choose 10 words from their list and then...
List the 10 words
Draw a picture to represent each of the words
Put them in ABC order
Use them in a sentence
mbs79 is offline   Reply With Quote

gardener5

ELArocks
Old 08-29-2010, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'd love to hear more about the Frayer Model graphic organizer that you mentioned.
gardener5 is online now   Reply With Quote

ELArocks

Frayer Model
Old 08-30-2010, 04:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Google Frayer Model. It's basically a big "windowpane" with the vocabulary word in the center. The sections of the "windowpane" can be the definition of the word, pictures that describe the word, examples of the word, and non-examples of the word.

deb603

Old 08-30-2010, 04:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've been thinking about not doing Word Work at all. It seems kind of young for 4th graders. Plus we do Sitton spelling and the words are so easy for the kids. The words are only 3-4 letter words, like car. Some kids do need it, though. So I'm still on the fence about this one.
deb603 is offline   Reply With Quote

ELArocks

Sitton
Old 08-30-2010, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We do Sitton, too, and it can get frustrating because of how simple the words are, but one thing I tried is I took the concept on each unit's "skill test" and turned it into a sort/activity that the students can practice independently. Just an idea. : )

1989Teacher

Spelling too easy
Old 08-23-2011, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I've had problems with my students spelling lists being too easy too... so I differentiate my students spelling lists. They take a pretest on Thursday. Words they already know are replaced with words of interest (found in writing journal/binder) or just a harder level of word. It takes quite a while to make each students list, but worth it. They made HUGE growth in their spelling.

When it comes to giving tests... students pair up and give it to each other. And then hand them in for teacher grading.
1989Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote