Christmas in Italy - ProTeacher Community

tch3rd

Christmas in Italy
Old 12-10-2006, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My third grade coworkers and I are doing Christmas around the world. We are each choosing a country and reading a book about Christmas in that country, then doing a craft of some sort. I would like to focus on Italy. I have an idea of a book to read, if our library has it. I need a craft or an activity to do with the kids. I have read the other threads about Christmas around the world. I still can't come up with a craft. Thanks

tch3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

Gina TX

Old 12-10-2006, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The teacher next door to me has Italy and she's making little pizza's with a toaster oven. She also had them make ornaments with pasta and then is going to spray it. Pasta - Italy. Maybe you could do something like that.
Gina TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Steph

You're in luck!
Old 12-10-2006, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi! I just happen to have my Carson Dellosa December book home with me. There is a two page spread on Italy. I'll summarize. If you want more detail on anything, let me know.

Books: The Legend of the Old Befana or Merry Christmas, Strega Nona
both by Tomie de Paola.

Buon Natale (bwon nah TAHL e)

Crafts:
My Ceppo- a small triangular ladder for in Italian homes around Christmas. Instead of a tree, the ceppo is decorated with candles, ornaments, small gifts, family treasures, and most importantly a nativity scene. Ask students to think of things important to them and draw a ceppo. (Triangle with three shelves...star or angel at the top). Can write a paragraph about why those things are important to them.

Hidden Letter- During the Christmas feast, Italian children often hide a letter in their father's napkin or under his plate promising to be good in the new year. Have students write letters to their parents, explaining the ways they will be good in the year to come. Write each letter on square paper and fold it in half diagonally to form a triangle. Turn the triangle so the long side is on the bottom and fold left and right corners to the outside, making the paper look like a napkin. Students hid letters underneath a parent's plate at dinner.

Quick Quilling- quilling is the traditional Italian art of curling strips of paper and gluing them together to form lacy designs. Give each student several strips of white paper, about 1/4" wide. (Thicker for younger students) Roll the strips of paper into curls and glue them together in fancy designs. Show students how hearts, teardrops, and other designs can be made by rolling the apaper from both ends and pinching folds in the curls. Create snowflake ornaments.

Hope that gives you some good ideas. I've done the letter and the snowflake. I used cardstock and they turned out really pretty.

Steph
Steph is offline   Reply With Quote

msharkey

Christmas in Italy
Old 12-10-2006, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In my unit, Holidays around the world, we visit Italy and I read "The Legend of La Befana". then, we make little brooms out of brown construction paper - it's real easy.

Have 2 small triangles precut
Have a 2 inch wide rectangle precut (about 3 - 3 1/2 inches long)
Have the kids fold the rectangle in half (the long way)
Then have them tuck in both triangles in between the long rectangle
glue everything shut
(I usually give a quick staple as well to ensure everything is closed)
Then, the kids snip the triangles to give a "broom" look.

We enjoy Pannetone bread as well.
Shark
<!--CHRISTMAS2-->
msharkey is offline   Reply With Quote

tch3rd

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2006, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Wow, thanks for the help! These ideas are great.

tch3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Laura DLE

Laura DLE

4th grade teacher
Old 11-29-2007, 11:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Did anyone respond to your request yet? I have the same need. If I find something myself, I'll send your way.
Renee'

Renee'

Craft for Italy
Old 12-14-2008, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I was on looking for an activity or craft for Italy and came across this site. Wow, what great activities you gave! I teach 2nd Grade and I knew about the paper curling activity but wanted something else to do. I've decided to do the napkins. Very simple to do and no prep work involved. Thanks